Active Topics

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have been pleasantly surprised to find that moisture-caused problems have cured themselves by just waiting, but the other steps suggested seem sensible too.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by damnshock View Post
Rice *does* help. Haven't you ever seen rice in the salt you use in the table?
Actually, no, I've never seen that. I'm not going to argue the point, because I don't know one way or the other, though I am skeptical. However I'd be interested in evidence to back it up if anyone has some, but anecdotal stories about how people have put electronics in rice and the electronics dried out do NOT count because the electronics would have likely dried anyway due to the amount of time they were left (and they are still just anecdotes).

On the subject of personal anecdotes regarding wet phones; one night after a night out and finishing a late night phone call I managed to drop my phone (a Samsung A320 IIRC) into a glass of water that was beside my bed, so I quickly fished it out and wasn't working, so I removed the battery and went to sleep. In the morning I tried it again and miraculously it turned on, but with a small problem of the vibration motor being stuck on, so I turned it off and went to work. At lunchtime I went to the pub for lunch with my work friends, I turned it on and it was still vibrating, so I put it on the table so as to provide some minor amusement while we partook in some of the fine food and drink at the public house and 10-15 minutes later it stopped vibrating and worked fine since, all without a single grain of rice becoming involved with the drying process.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Rice? Come on guys. This is one precious device that you can't risk it with youtube knowledge.

If you want to get the job done use silicon gel:

Silicon gel can easily be found in camera shop. Buy the blue gel. The colorless or white gel are not that effective. Put the gel and your N900 into a air-tight box, as you don't want the gel absorb the atmosphere mosture as well. The blue gel would turn to colorless when they absorbed enough mosture.

Rice could be a temporary solution, but you really want to extract the remaining mosture as fast as possible before it damages the circuits.

Last edited by 9000; 2011-02-07 at 01:32.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
You lot aint got a clue most of ya just have no idea what actually happens to a device that has micro components.

Here is a PROPER guide to the only solution you should ever do.

Strip the device down so you have every board and sub board seperated and ready to wash,
use hot soapy water (not boiling) toothbrush and then literally wash and scrub every board at least 2 times soaking it in the water after each scrub.
Be careful of the camera components but can still be washed accordingly.
Rinse the lot in hot water change the water for the rinse each time. and then get hair dryer or similar and dry the lot out, re-assemble and you give your device a chance of life !!.

Now failure to do this you will end up with corrosion setting in that can take MONTHS to develop, i have seen the results of a so called use rice use silicon etc etc and quite frankly it dont get rid of the chemicals that reside on the pcb,s that start the destruction process of any pcb.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Strip the device down so you have every board and sub board seperated and ready to wash,
use hot soapy water (not boiling) toothbrush and then literally wash and scrub every board at least 2 times soaking it in the water after each scrub.

Man did you type all that in straight face?

Anyway it's not nice to play prank on someone who is in a misery.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Man did you type all that in straight face?

Anyway it's not nice to play prank on someone who is in a misery.
Although what he's recommending is way above most enthusiast's level of expertise, I think he knows what he's talking about on this issue.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Although what he's recommending is way above most enthusiast's level of expertise, I think he knows what he's talking about on this issue.
Yeah so I did not rule out the technical merit in his post as he's the Mister I'm an Engineer here, Mister I Really Own a N900.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
9000 you obviously have never stripped a device that has been damaged in this way because you obviously dont have a clue about chemicals.

As ysss said it is probably above the average person to do but i tell you it is indeed the only solution, even rain has chemicals in it and once you get pcb,s wet in any event it will start off a chemical reaction that can take months to start but start it will do and when it does the corrosion eats everything starting with the pcb then the legs of the components etc.

I know this sounds bad but is true and a sorry state to see and every time i see this on especially mobile phones i think the same thing... why oh why did you not get it washed right in the beggining to get rid of the chemicals. That way it stops and dont get the chance to start eroding away.

Say what you want but i tell you washsing IS the only way and hot water once dried out after the rinse will never hurt anything..... secret to the final dryout is to make sure it IS dry and not wet between or under components or you will have a short situation on your hands.

I was in fact serious and not joking in any way.

HEY i AM SIR mr engineer on this bloody forum so there hehehehehehe.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I was in fact serious and not joking in any way.

HEY i AM SIR mr engineer on this bloody forum so there hehehehehehe.
In all seriousness no offense intended, Sir Mister Enginneer. My suggestion is pale in comparison to yours.

Tags
set it on fire