Active Topics

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
As I said, noone's convinced me (or other "power" users, if I may speak for them) as to why you'd ever disable R&D mode.

Leaving it in R&D mode all the time is a lot safer than editing the gainroot script and gets you funky debug text written over your boot screen! How could you lose?! ;-)

Originally Posted by aflegg
As I said, noone's convinced me (or other "power" users, if I may speak for them) as to why you'd ever disable R&D mode.

Leaving it in R&D mode all the time is a lot safer than editing the gainroot script and gets you funky debug text written over your boot screen! How could you lose?! ;-)
Well when I flashed mine and edited gainroot, I had only had the thing for a whole of 2 hours. I was inclined to follow the directions to the letter, and actually got worried when I found I skipped a step.

Although debuging text does sound like it could be useful, maybe I'll reflash.

Yeah, but whoever added the "disable R&D mode after editing gainroot" step to the wiki didn't explain why, or has come forward to say why (AFAIK).

To me it just makes the process more complex and error-prone for non-technical users; and since this seems to be the growing consensus, the wiki will probably be edited to reflect this.

Cheers,

Andrew

sorry it took a while to post it. Actually forgot until halfway though watching doctor who.

#!/bin/sh -e
trap exit SIGHUP SIGINT SIGTERM
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
#MODE=`/usr/sbin/chroot /mnt/initfs cal-tool --get-rd-mode`
#if [ x$MODE = xenabled ]
#then
# echo "Root shell enabled"
/bin/sh
#else
# echo "Enable RD mode if you want to break your device"
#fi
#

thanks, I appreciate the help.

also, thanks to all. at least know im trying to get my feet wet in linux without drowning.

Hello,

I'm a new Nokia 770 user, well I haven't even received it yet ;-) But I read a lot on the internet about my future gadget

I would like to know if it is possible to gain root access without having a desktop PC with linux or MacOs installed?

Can I use something like the "damn small pc" linux distribution to run linux "inside" windows or from a USB boot drive?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Penquin-007
Hello,

I'm a new Nokia 770 user, well I haven't even received it yet ;-) But I read a lot on the internet about my future gadget

I would like to know if it is possible to gain root access without having a desktop PC with linux or MacOs installed?

Can I use something like the "damn small pc" linux distribution to run linux "inside" windows or from a USB boot drive?

Thanks
DSL-live cd, then again most live cds, should be able to do the trick. The howto has a hard way of doing it, and I think it's windows based but not sure, that should work too. I've also seen other people say it's possible to flash to rd for gainroot, without windows. I say go dl knoppix or some other live cd, and just use that.

There's also the firmware binary patch which has been mentioned here.

ive done it using the flash and ubuntu live cd. i sure am learning alot about this linux. kind of reminds me of the old days of ms dos.

Mine's been in R&D mode the whole time and I've never questioned it, even after flashing the latest firmware. The cosmetic "issues" on bootup are nothing to people who have been using Linux for a while. Why worry?