Active Topics

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by archzai View Post
How many of you guys are still happy with your N900s?
I am.
It still can do everything I want it to.

I for one am starting to get sick of it, the novelty is wearing off and its starting to feel chunky amongst a crowd of lean, sleek phones that offer equal if not better options in a smaller package.
This is a good marketing speech.
However, I don't care about "lean, sleek phones", I care about features.

I really liked the N900 at first but I feel it slow down so often now, let's not talk about 10 apps multi-tasking, it sometimes even suddenly slows down with SMS, Phone and internet open.
For me, it has never ever slowed down.

not sure what's wrong with it
I have some good ideas.

but I realized after using this phone, that I rather have less features and all of them work fluidly rather than every feature under the sun at the expense of each of them only working at 80-90% efficiency.
I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it.

I mean I loved this phone and was waiting for it to come out for months dont get me wrong.

full keyboard phones, you got me there, I'm assuming Droid does NOT count, but neither is it really "better" than the N900.

I guess the clunkiness is starting to get to me now, I never really thought too much about it before but it gets in the way sometimes

I just read about a link where people said to reset it every few days, I guess I'll start doing that to see how it goes.

In terms of widgets or apps in the background, nothing really, the headphone daemon for one, but not much else I can think of when it starts slowing down.

Used to drive me NUTS when it would flip between portrait and landscape when i had phone calls coming in so I just made it stay in portrait lol.

I have a really hard time using the GPS though, its quite slowly and clunkyish, anyone have any recommendations on how to use it better and/or if there are custom made GPS?

I know people will kill me for saying this, but one thing i DO like about Apple OS is that everything runs smoothly, despite having less features. I DO hate having to use iTunes though. : /

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Personally, I think you were stimulated and excited by the UI and your brain sped up.... thus giving the impression that everything around you slowed down.
LOL quite true.. either that or I am just too used to my N900. Seriously the UI is not breathtaking on the Galaxy S.. I was just irritated that everytime I pressed Home it took about 1.5 to 2 seconds to react. It was running 2.1 eclair so probably once it gets 2.2 it might be better!

N900 FTW (except for flash 10.1)

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
If you run no widgets and properly close each app before starting the next, then I guess the N900 will stay as smooth as the iPhone.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
It pretty much comes down to what you need the device for.
I needed a device that I can make and receive calls on when needed, but thats actually secondary for me.
As 'slai' mentioned, since the N900 can do web browsing, movies including AVI's, torrents and games with 3D acceleration,
I rarely powerup my desktop at home anymore.

The only thing I miss is Ovi Maps voice navigation which I had on the Nokia 5800. Still have it until the N900 version gets more usable.
Sure, its missing 3G video calling and voice dialing, but I rarely used these when I had the features on previous phones anyway.

I've installed many useful and fun Apps from the Repos, more than I thought would be available with no issues.
I find the phone much faster than any device I've used, and I never reboot.

The only other phone that had the features I looked for is the Motorola Droid [touch screen, with slide out keyb and not Win or Symbian], but I just find it to squarish looking for my taste. Plus Android still cannot play AVI's.

Best phone ever, would buy it again in a heartbeat, unless the Nokia N9 is out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maruzko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
I dont "rarely" use my home PC. I ONLY use the N900.

Im currently hired for work in a town up north, and my computer is at my apartment down south. Im staying with a girl who lets me download massive torrents on her laptop, but other than that, Im only using the N900 for all my computer desires and needs (bank, games, music, you name it).

Couldnt have done that on my old N97 at least.

The Following User Says Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:
will be buying a couple more once the second hand prices hit £200.
I want one to play with the dodgy stuff like overclock and booting alternative oses (like Meego).
my kids currently using E63s. Will move them to N900s closer to xmas.
All the negative comments on this forum, and still no alternatives out there with decent keyboard, high res, sd card, large storage, top notch media playback, decent camera. Removable battery. Fast browser.

oh and now Nicolais customisable clock widget :-) , and a community more than willing to scratch that itch continues to seal the deal.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
i love my n900 as well but i think il get a new phone some months down the line also because of the weak usb port issue. everytime i go to charge my ph i feel like my ph's lifespan has gotten that much shorter.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Montevideo
I don't see the N900 as a "fashion" phone, but a a good phone/computer/tablet hybrid. Definately need keyboard (how much of those lean, sleek new phones have hardware keyboards?), the multitasking helps nicely (maybe could be slow running 10 tasks,,but at least you can run them), and the whole software ecosystem makes a difference.

Is not a perfect phone, there is still room for improvement, some things can be fixed by software and by the community (i.e. the possibility of running android apps),and things that not and could be desired (i.e.not sure how big will be AR in the close future, and a compass would have been helpful, plus all the "i want more" like more battery, speed, screen resolution, memory, root partition space etc), so don't discard replacing it in some future, but still didnt saw any new phone that fit better than the N900 in what i need.

I disappointed in N900 because it full of disgraceful bugs.
Even main use cases are failed. And I read a lot of "Not going to be fixed in Maemo" in bugtracker.
Going to sell as soon as possible and forget the whole nokia as terrible dream.
Seems like Anssi Vanjoki (and Nokia) want to "fight back" with customers.

The Following User Says Thank You to kenga For This Useful Post: