Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by supportnokia View Post
He can't pay people to buy WP7. If and when it doesn't sell, if he insists on forging ahead, his tenure will be extremely brief and the whole, sorry episode will be terminated.
WP7 isn't going on sale tomorrow. If his tenure lasts till it is released it will have been long enough to do massive harm.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
It doesn't matter if 90% of the employees at Nokia don't support the "Elopian strategy". Upper management and the board supports it. The decision announced today may have been announced by the CEO but it is the decision the company (those in charge) decided to make. I chose to support Nokia with the purchase of an N800 and an N900. Guess what, if Nokia no longer chooses to make products I'm interested in, I'm spending my money elsewhere (as soon as my N900 breaks that is...).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cesman For This Useful Post:
He can't pay people to buy WP7. If and when it doesn't sell, if he insists on forging ahead, his tenure will be extremely brief and the whole, sorry episode will be terminated.
wat the hell are you saying? do u know how to read? im tired of having to repeatedly say this. NOKIA IS STILL SUPPORTING SYMBIAN.. NOKIA IS STILL PUTTING OUT MEEGO!
how is that stopping to support you? they've made a decision to try to accomodoate even MORE people with this decision. obviously just supporting meego and symbian like they originally were caused thier market share to drop by 8% last quarter so they had to do something different.
all they've done is annouced that microsoft is joining the picture and u make it sound like they've taken 20yrs of nokia history and thrown it out the door. its pathetic how negatively some of you speak and there hasn't even been an announcement of wat devices are coming out or being dropped

Nokia doesn't typically announce that products are being dropped till long after that is obvious. I think it is fair to assume that they are secretly taking even more drastic action than they are admitting.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cesman View Post
It doesn't matter if 90% of the employees at Nokia don't support the "Elopian strategy". Upper management and the board supports it. The decision announced today may have been announced by the CEO but it is the decision the company (those in charge) decided to make. I chose to support Nokia with the purchase of an N800 and an N900. Guess what, if Nokia no longer chooses to make products I'm interested in, I'm spending my money elsewhere (as soon as my N900 breaks that is...).
If Nokia stock falls another 15% next week, I can guarantee you that Elop's position will very quickly begin to look much less tenable.

If the market, customers and staff react badly enough, this little project could be a good deal more stillborn than we now fear Meego / Maemo will be.

Elop & MS relied on (US) investors and (expected) market reaction to get themselves into this position. However, those who live by the sword are also liable to die by the sword.

Originally Posted by Turbanato|2 View Post
wat the hell are you saying? do u know how to read? im tired of having to repeatedly say this. NOKIA IS STILL SUPPORTING SYMBIAN.. NOKIA IS STILL PUTTING OUT MEEGO!
Dude, Symbian is DEAD. If you think you will see another new device with symbian next year or better yet a year and a half from today then you are really smoking something. Meego is pretty much dead and i really hope Intel knows what they are doing because that is the only hope meego has now for it to become main stream.

The Following User Says Thank You to cenwesi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ottawa, CANADA
[QUOTE=

It would seem that Nokia has become an adjunct of Redmond.

[/QUOTE]

What's gonna be left? http://www.techspot.com/news/42379-n...is-hiring.html

If Nokia stock falls another 15% next week, I can guarantee you that Elop's position will very quickly begin to look much less tenable.
Agreed. However, this doesn't mean I should support a company that has decided to stop supporting the device(s) I've purchased.

I don't think the stock is falling because stockholders disapprove of what Nokia has done. I think it is falling because it is obvious that Nokia is in terrible shape and there is no real solution.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by Turbanato|2 View Post
... do u know how to read?
Umm....yes
im tired of having to repeatedly say this.
Then stop saying it.
NOKIA IS STILL SUPPORTING SYMBIAN.. NOKIA IS STILL PUTTING OUT MEEGO!
Nokia expects to sell another ~150M Symbian devices - "leveraging previous investments to harvest additional value". The quote is from the press release. I can read, and that, for me, says they will wring as much as they can from what was done with Symbian, without investing much more.
They may well produce a Meego device sometime in this year. But Meego is now an open-source project within Nokia (maybe it never was anything much else). Maemo was exactly that, and it gave us a few nice devices, but it never had the full weight of Nokia behind it.

Developers are being advised to write Qt-based apps for Symbian and take delivery of the Microsoft suite of development tools for Nokia's new high-end smartphone strategy. Not a lot of support for Meego/Qt in that.

The link for the advice to developers is this.

Tags
failed