Active Topics

Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
I signed the petition just for the heck of it.. But honestly I don't understand why people think that petitions can do anything...
Petitions can't stand alone but it can serve as common voice.

The new QWERTY Blackberry Q10 sells great i many countries greater than the Z10 and in UK it's outselling Samsung Galaxy S4.

Yes. I know it's not a slider nor Linux-based, but it's a start.

The easiest thing is to conclude that QWERTY phones was last year, but I'm not going to give up on my beloved keyboard.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
...qwerty is considered outdated nowsaday by many people....
Well, creation is also considered as science by many people...

And guess what, I don't care. If there is a market for this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Protective-P.../dp/B00178HKZC

then there is a market for qwerty mobiles.

Signed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
what about Other Half?

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
what about Other Half?
The petition is not just about Jolla, but the smart phone industry in general.

Nobody knows about the other half yet except Jolla employees.

The Following User Says Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
This may come as both a shock and terrible news to some people who spend their lives on chat and web forums, but the vast MAJORITY of people don't care for, or want physical keyboards.
They don't want the added bulk and as touchscreen technology (and on screen keyboard tech) has improved, with auto correction, the need for accurate typing is reduced.
Using the BB Q10 sales as some benchmark to confirm the need is also highly spurious as an argument.
Q10 are and have NOT exceeded GS4 sales in the UK. They have exceeded sales of the GS4 in one store group of a large chain brand only and this does not reflect overall sales.
Don't get me wrong. The fact that so many BB die hards have opted to wait for the Q10 proves there is a need (which is being met by BB), but this needs to be taken within the context of the other services and features provided by BB/RIM that are either exclusive (BES,BBM, REAL security - not some iOS or "knox" wannabe) or limited to their products.
The only real h/w qwerty units being sold these days are low/mid end android handsets targeted at the messaging market. I'd guess the last decent android qwerty was the droid 4?
I'm with mikecomputing on this one.
Jolla's concept device provides a greater opportunity for enterprising people to create a qwerty other half that is both viable as an add on (assuming decent BT HID support and UI development to support landscape mode) and offers the best option for a true *nix based device similar to the N900. And at least you get a decent sized screen as well..
am surprised that some of the creative and talented individuals here, haven't already made up a render of this and posted it in the "other half" thread to be honest.

oh, and I've signed the petition too (nothing wrong with being a utopian dreamer!)

Last edited by onethreealpha; 2013-05-28 at 21:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
Using the BB Q10 sales as some benchmark to confirm the need is also highly spurious as an argument.
Q10 are and have NOT exceeded GS4 sales in the UK. They have exceeded sales of the GS4 in one store group of a large chain brand only and this does not reflect overall sales.
And it's really silly to compare Q10 and GS4 anyway, it just makes no sense.

It would be sensible to compare a touch-screen BlackBerry to a QWERTY BlackBerry or touch-screen Android to a QWERTY Android, but absolutely rubbish when comparing devices of different OS/manufacturer/generation to each other and making some guesses based on the results.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Although it may not mean much in general, Jolla had a vote for a while on their website for just this type of concept. Last time I checked the vast majority of votes were for a querty based phone. Maybe they will take it into consideration if they are on the fence about making "the other half" a keyboard option. .

The Following User Says Thank You to justadude For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I agree with onethreealpha, bur with a twist. I believe there is enough market for one qwerty high end device. I also believe that those people that a vast majority of the don't-cares never used a decent qwerty.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by justadude View Post
Although it may not mean much in general, Jolla had a vote for a while on their website for just this type of concept. Last time I checked the vast majority of votes were for a querty based phone. Maybe they will take it into consideration if they are on the fence about making "the other half" a keyboard option. .
I don't think there was anything like that.

You are propably thinking about a poll on "jollatides.com" some time ago but that's got nothing to do with Jolla AFAIK.
(the effect would be same as with a poll on TMO affecting something that Nokia does...)

Last edited by juiceme; 2013-05-29 at 07:49. Reason: missed quote

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
No, juiceme. There was something like that, by Jolla (iirc).

--
but my memory is that bat atm, I may be plain wrong

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-05-29 at 08:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post: