Active Topics

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I still like the idea. Incremental usage would give time to adapt.

Also, I've seen maybe 3 people here that are hopelessly English-impaired. Most simply don't care enough. Also, whatever you language, there's a capital letter after the punctuation ending a sentence. There should be a space. Your post should contain at least one paragraph.

It's not easy. Manual modding would probably also work just fine. It's a bit odd, especially if it has explicit names.

"Hi allz g0 guy iPhone!"
Ndi thinks you're an idiot.
joppu agrees.

Hm. This has potential.

Seriously though, as long as a mistake or two doesn't bury you it will be fine.

We could install a +5 for perfect posting. Yeah, that sounds fine.

To offset any software abuse, a perfect post (large enough, with zero spelling errors, good grammar and stuff, maybe no smileys) could yield a nice hefty plus to show off. You only get nice scores if you keep it up, making it a high-score deal for the heavyweights.

I think plus look way better than negative scores.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

I saw that Kathy... You had a [/b] in there that you didn't need!!!! Damn you and you're quick edit .

Also, there is actually quite a few more grammatical corrections that could be made in nearly every post in this thread (including this one!).

I am of, of course, referring to the proper use of commas, periods, semi-colons, question marks, etc.

I do not think that alerting people to bad spelling is a bad thing. Personally, Firefox does it for me and shows up red underlined so I can right-click and select the right spelling . You see Firefox there <---- I spelled it "firefox", and apparently Firefox feels it is nounish enough to be capitalized .

It also doesn't like the word nounish... probably because I made it up .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Now you want to take away my smileys?!?!??!?!?!

I curse you and the horse you rode in on!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I saw that Kathy... You had a [/b] in there that you didn't need!!!! Damn you and you're quick edit .

Also, there is actually quite a few more grammatical corrections that could be made in nearly every post in this thread (including this one!).

I am of, of course, referring to the proper use of commas, periods, semi-colons, question marks, etc.

I do not think that alerting people to bad spelling is a bad thing. Personally, Firefox does it for me and shows up red underlined so I can right-click and select the right spelling . You see Firefox there <---- I spelled it "firefox", and apparently Firefox feels it is nounish enough to be capitalized .

It also doesn't like the word nounish... probably because I made it up .

See, now, that's the sort of thing we'd lose. I invented the n900 gobbryfux for some post I was making. And just last week I know I used the verb 'to bovrilise' which I suspect is not in any well known dictionary. And that's before you get into linguistic arguments over whose language it is, and whether that should be 'bovrilise' or 'bovrilize'. I refuse to use any spell checker that corrects the use of 'colour'.

You'd end up worrying more about your spelling and grammar than content. And in the end, it is good, high quality content that we want here.

Certainly people who post "OMFG! N900 is Teh Suxxor! Nokia haz jmpd da Shark!" are problematic: to my mind that's not so much about poor spelling or grammar as very, very weak comunication. You change that not by fancy forum tools so much as by constantly demonstrating that that's not how we communicate here. Whether for business or technical reasons, language is a tool and the more finely honed your use of it, the better.

Edit - fatalsaint, I think you'll find that's "your quick edit" not "you're quick edit"

Last edited by RevdKathy; 2010-01-21 at 21:00.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
35 percent of me wants to say, "yes let's do this."
65% of me says, "No way!"

Sometimes points are better expressed when you use the wrong spelling and grammar.
I h8 to be the one to say it.

Every post I make, I usually have to go back and edit 2 or 3 times just because I make stupid grammar and punctuation errors.
I am not good at grammar despite being a native English American.
Lots of young guys want to use slang also.

^Communication

Last edited by aironeous; 2010-01-21 at 21:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Certainly people who post "OMFG! N900 is Teh Suxxor! Nokia haz jmpd da Shark!" are problematic: to my mind that's not so much about poor spelling or grammar as very, very weak comunication mind.
I fixed it. Yes, I said it. I'm sorry, I refuse to take people who talk like that seriously at all. That is not any form of meaningful communication, in any language. Except maybe stupid-speak; so that is what I shall call them.

Edit - fatalsaint, I think you'll find that's "your quick edit" not "you're quick edit"
Blast you! I must curse you now as well!

Hey.. at least it's spelled right... who cares if I use it right .

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
Pedantic mode on:

That should likely be 'your quick edit' old son.

Watch those possessive things...

Pedantic mode off...

It really isn't so easy is it? The problem with something that attempts to enforce correct grammar and punctuation is manyfold:
- some people are just not native and shouldn't be expected to become so for our comfort
- some use, even if perceived to be challenging, is legitimate within the culture of the poster. It's just the way things are
- the police would need to be experts in english grammar and current usage. Anyone here?
- quis custodiet ipsos custodes (thanks Juvenal)?

And probably more. I do not think you will achieve what you want without extremely large problems for some people who will not understand why they have problems. There's just a huge fairness problem in any case (see my last point)

You may as well require that anyone, in order to post, must first read, then understand and adhere to, the principles in Strunk & White and Lynne Truss' books. This will not happen.

Ultimately, there is a requirement for common sense in reading as well as composing posts. Just as in 'real life,' where, for example, I get upset because someone who speaks native French interrupts me when I try to address them in their language, a move to tighten up such in t.m.o would be, I believe, counterproductive.

But what do I know. lol (sic)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smarsh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I iz not fraids of ur cursis!

That's my point. I want good content. I don't actually care too much about the odd typo, grammatical error or spelling mistake. I especially don't care where many people are doing something I have never mastered and using a foreign language fluently. What I care about is good points well made. And the more of them we get, the better.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I absolutely hate myself for doing this, ndi, but you set yourself up.
Shoot. I volunteered.

Your post advocating the use of a grammar and spelling penalty is grammatically horrible.
I wouldn't call that horrible. Less than perfect. [serious]Seriously now, I hope that's not your real standard for horrible, because some of those are actual spoken English-accepted.

I accepted them in my otherwise good English because speaking from the book always brought on long looks from the folks in the UK (worked there). Some I involuntarily picked up from some US citizens.[/serious]

I admit there are mistakes, I also admit I didn't see most, not a typo or anything, that basically the extent of my English. I stink.

However, it illustrates beautifully the fact that conveying your point eloquently and intelligently is not determined by the actual grammar. (And I hate myself for correcting it because I know I don't speak a word of your native language)
I very much doubt anyone suggested perfect grammar, we could't do that even if we wanted to, even a thousand dollar software like Office sometimes annoys me.

The reason why I suggested grammar is because it's an umbrella term that includes syntax, morphology, minimal common sense.

I never suggested scanning for prepositions at the end of sentences. I meant overall, most annoying part of each, as needed.

What you are asking to be rid of is lazy writing that substitutes 'U' for 'you' and uses the sort of language reduction that was designed for use in a system that restricted you to 140 characters and had to be entered on an alpha-numeric keyboard. Unless one is writing here on such a keyboard, it's unnecessary.
Actually, that started way before SMS, back when dinosaurs roamed the IRC.

However, I agree, lazy writing. And for the love of... please someone pin a sticky explaining the difference between N900s and N900's.

I've seen this on banners in the UK. It's eating me up inside, it's so simple, yet a complete mistery.

I doubt you could create a system that would select out that sorts of post.
Yes we could. You could ban lol, u, 2, u2, and improve as the need arises.

But I would be opposed to anything which penalised people using a second language, an n900 keyboard or, like me, with eyesight issues peering at their screen.
If a -1 +5 system is used, using the N900 wouldn't be an issue, nor eyesight a problem.

(and before anyone looks - my typing is such I am certain there's a typo in this somewhere )
And grammar. But who's looking?

Which reminds me - edited posts should be re-rated, maximum of one or two edits.

(*Hugs ndi and hopes no insult is taken*)
I am never insulted by the truth. I only take something personally if I detect intent. Plus, I volunteered.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA

Yes indeed!

Tags
back to school vs, back to the woods, community, expert system, grammar, improvement, lol, me talk pretty one day, spelling