Active Topics

i'm doing it now, thanks

i ran the Debian Image Installer and it said saved when the download finished and what i presumed to be the checksums matched. but when i click on the Synaptic Package Manager nothing happens..... and when i click on Debian chroot just the x terminal - osso_term opens? is that what'd ment to happen? has it all gone wrong? or is that what's ment to happen? and i just need to write something and it will all start working? help help help

one day i will know what i'm doing.

ddw

If you click the Debian Chroot you are only supposed to get a osso-xterm that is chrooted into the debian. You should be able to apt-get install anything from in there to install.

Try running:

hilda synaptic

In that osso-xterm (not any osso-xterm, the debian chroot) and see if it says anything useful... like "not installed"
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by possessedskier View Post
If you didn't do it already, run the "Debian Image Installer" in your Extras menu to finish the chroot installation. Then run the Synaptic Package Manager in your Extras menu, find Gimp in the list, and install it. Until you create a launcher for it, you'll have to run Gimp from the Debian chroot terminal (also in the Extras menu).

Just keep in mind that large Debian applications start up and run very slow on the tablet. I haven't installed Gimp, but I assume that it won't be very speedy.
Surprisingly, GIMP, once loaded, isn't that bad speed-wise. Heck, it was useable enough for me to make my avatar with

when i get the xterm debian chroot the window is blank? and when i use the touch screen keypad on the n800 the keys go bule indicating an imput but nothing happens? ow whats going on? dose it work on an n800? i'll start the process on a n810 and see what happens.

if i'm doing something wrong please do point it out.

if your in debian chroot you will see at bottom ' ] ' enter the following apt-get install gimp '. If you've installed correctly it will self install. look in your extra menu and click on gimp wait about 30 seconds and gimp will load. If you have problems installing gimp go to Debian section and ask qole or fatalsaint or benson for help. it's an amazing app. I edit large 75mb .jpg on N800 using gimp. If you want easy Debian to run faster get a class 6 sdhc card and create a dual boot menu with Penguinbait's easy dual boot installer and set a 1gb swap partition. http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...anced+bootmenu
Your entire Nxx will run much better. If you add Qwerty12 highspeed with rotation it will not only speed up your Nxx but you will have rotation. for a simple guide to rotation go here. http://behindmaemolines.blogspot.com...2008-n8x0.html
You have lots of work ahead but there are numerous threads on each of these with lots of helpful posters if you get stuck or confused. Making mistakes is normal so don't be shy about asking for assistance. Good luck. enjoy.

Last edited by dan; 2008-09-16 at 06:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to dan For This Useful Post:
thanks for you lovely advice dan, one day i'll write up all my learning as a beginners guide [pictures only, no words] for others who start with as little knowledge as i have.

starting to get somewhere, i changed the background colour to red and the font size etc, just teying anything before giving up and then i noticed that when i opened a new window i got a [] in the top left hand side, nothing else just [] again my typing was not being displayed, but then i noticed that when the window was minimised the writing apeared? why? but at leat i could enter the following command 'apt-get install gimp' and this is what the tablet said back to me

E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/). are you root?

hmmmmm any advice? what dose it all mean, why do i have to minimise the windoe to get the txt to apear? why do i have to open a second window to get any responce? will i ever get this working? i really mustget on with some actuall work soon, but i just want the gimp..........

ahh when i go 'new window' in the debian chroot window that is not opening a debian chroot is it? i give up for a bit

try going into app manager and install become root. chroot always goes into root automatically. In hildon when you go into xterm if you have not installed become root you don't get root.