Originally Posted by setter View Post
Can you run GPS or i.e. Sportstracker on your Android and also play music and take a call without stop of the GPS?
First of all: i have no Android phone - si I don't know. But tell me, why not?
What i know for sure is, that my Symbian phones can't run more than 2 apps at the same time - so multitasking is useless in that case.

I can try to reflash them, but why? I'm happy user of N900 - no need for that.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
Originally Posted by lexik View Post
I mean OS as OS. I'm not Symbian developer, so I don't know how it realy looks "inside". I was Symbian user for long time, and what i know perfectly is the "stability" of it :P
However GUI is a part of OS - if you can't choose another one - so when you don't like the GUI, you dont like the whole OS.
For example multitasking in S60. Unusable.
can I ask which versions?

Little outdated nowadays
I have no experience with these old Symbians (or Symbian predecessors) so I can't judge it. I have only funny experience with 5800XM, C6-00 and a few other's. And i don't like it (today).
When it was my "Device NO.1" i loved it. (playing Bounce... yeah ) but in comparsion with Maemo (and also Android or MeeGo) ... sadly i must say:
..Symbian is not a good OS..
there I have my answer...

The Following User Says Thank You to Artyom For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
can I ask which versions?

there I have my answer...
5800XM and C6-00 - both of them are running Symbian 5th edition. (concrete version i don't know..)

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
lexik please stop.. You are saying you don't know how "Symbian looks from the inside" and yet you're calling it a bad OS? UX != Core OS.. Symbian is an amazing OS and extremely modular (which is a very good thing).. Not to mention that it is one of the most efficient OSes out there.. (You don't need 6000GB or RAM and 7430 Core CPU to run it)..

EDIT: I signed it, but I also think that it won't help unfortunately.. :/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
5800XM and C6-00 - both of them are running Symbian 5th edition. (concrete version i don't know..)
unfortunately the worst version of the whole symbian ecosystem...

also i signed but it won't do no good. even if you found hundred thounsands of people they won't change their mind. forget it people symbian was killed way back in 2010. no returning from death .

Originally Posted by bandora View Post
lexik please stop.. You are saying you don't know how "Symbian looks from the inside" and yet you're calling it a bad OS? UX != Core OS.. Symbian is an amazing OS and extremely modular (which is a very good thing).. Not to mention that it is one of the most efficient OSes out there.. (You don't need 6000GB or RAM and 7430 Core CPU to run it)..

EDIT: I signed it, but I also think that it won't help unfortunately.. :/
Don't get me wrong..
You are right. UX != whole OS. And my "Symbian is not a good OS" isn't the best way to put it. When i bought my first my first Symbian OS phone, i liked it.

Better is to say:
Today the Symbian is not a good OS..

Which is caused by Nokia (..Microsoft), not by the system itself (or by developers of it).
User don't care about hardware portability or HW requirements.
Symbian is dead OS (which is sad..) and petition IMHO can't change it. Only chance for Symbian is some big company - but which one? Google? Microsoft? Apple? :-/

Posts: 1,238 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Little outdated nowadays
I have no experience with these old Symbians (or Symbian predecessors) so I can't judge it. I have only funny experience with 5800XM, C6-00 and a few other's. And i don't like it (today).
When it was my "Device NO.1" i loved it. (playing Bounce... yeah ) but in comparsion with Maemo (and also Android or MeeGo) ... sadly i must say:
..Symbian is not a good OS..
Symbian Belles UI is great and also much much more fluid and responsive than S60v5. and there are many things that Symbian can do but Android can't. one example is that open google maps and search for a place and put it on background and your Android phone will lose gps lock. where as in Symbian this never happens. and in Symbian you also can play music in background while talking on phone. a feature which none of today's phone have.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
The concept of it is quite good, but in real life (maybe it is just caused by my two devices..) it is, how i wrote - "unusable".
My C6 is really really slow - and that makes the multitasking unusable. If you have some other device - and it is working quickly, than Ok, you are lucky man...
Those phones had a 434Mhz processor, no separate GPU and 128mb RAM and you're surprised that it was slow when multitasking

Symbian was genuinely multitasking, if you opened an app and navigated away from it without closing it then it was still running and still taking up resources, when you have piffling resources in the first place it's not long before you exhaust them. That's not Symbian's fault, in fact it's a bloody miracle Symbian could multitask on such miniscule resources.

Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
well, I would take symbian v7 with UIQ on 2010+ HW any time
Absolutely.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 376 | Thanked: 257 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Sweden
I have had no problems with N95, C7 and N8

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 257 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Sweden
Better is to say:
Today the Symbian is not a good OS..
Today the Symbian is still a good OS but it lacks softwares and developers.

The Following User Says Thank You to setter For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia, petition, save symbian, symbian