Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
I am just glad confirmation bias is so effective.

A usb 3g modem can be obtained for $20US, so I imagine the unit cost of the 3G module itself is far lower. So it adds an insignificant cost or bulk to a tablet even when you factor in the antenna. There is nothing expensive about a 3G module. All it does is provide extra connectivity options that no-one is forced to use.

Though as I have said before, an idea that was not put there by logic cannot be removed by logic.

But having a swappable solution would be great. Though Dan, I would suggest that given they are likely adding the expense of an antenna and bay for a 3G/4G module to be inserted, you should steer clear of them. Though I gather you are saying you are perfectly happy for there to be a slot for a cellular modem as long as there isn't a $10 module sitting in the slot?
Considering I have never seen a celluar radio (especially one that locks you into a particular carrier and/or technology) being built-into a device for less than at LEAST an extra $100 or more, and a USB dongle radio is a COMPETITIVE solution that often DOES cost less *AND* gives me the freedom to choose... yes. Yes, I think I might just--no wait.. I definitely AM perfectly happy.

Christ--how much of an added expensive is adding a slot and a bay? Add to that the fact that even if you never use it for 3G/4G/whatever, you have, effectively, an internal USB slot! A GEEK PORT for anybody that wants to do something interesting with it!

I repeat... perfectly happy, yes.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
It would be nice if the there was already an embedded antenna that could be connected to the internalized USB dongle. This would cut down on the size of the dongle dramatically, whist maintaining good connectivity.

For example, Mini PCI-e 3G cards generally have a standard antenna connectivity port or two at the end of the card, for laptop integration. This would make a lot of sense for a tablet -- eg. the dongle bay could have the antenna ends exposed to be readily attached to the plug-in dongle.

Archos has mentioned that they hold some sort of patents, so I'm curious to exactly what their implementation is...

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
But I'm suddenly very interested in what Archos has to offer. Whilst their devices can be a little on the lower side of quality, a cheap device is a cheap device, and may make a nice alternative for some.

The thought of a $250-$300 tablet with 3G is compelling.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
It would be nice if the there was already an embedded antenna that could be connected to the internalized USB dongle. This would cut down on the size of the dongle dramatically, whist maintaining good connectivity.

For example, Mini PCI-e 3G cards generally have a standard antenna connectivity port or two at the end of the card, for laptop integration. This would make a lot of sense for a tablet -- eg. the dongle bay could have the antenna ends exposed to be readily attached to the plug-in dongle.
I am guessing it must be something like this. Just slide the module in. They are talking disruptive, so the swappable part seems very likely. I can't imagine it could have an external antenna or it would be silly, and not disruptive at all - just a usb 3g modem in a small form factor.

The way things go though I'd expect a proprietary port so that they can monetise the modules through licensing. Or perhaps Archos are the good guys.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
I am guessing it must be something like this. Just slide the module in. They are talking disruptive, so the swappable part seems very likely. I can't imagine it could have an external antenna or it would be silly, and not disruptive at all - just a usb 3g modem in a small form factor.

The way things go though I'd expect a proprietary port so that they can monetise the modules through licensing. Or perhaps Archos are the good guys.
Their history seems very mixed on this. Up until VERY recently, I absolutely would have agreed that this company is very likely to have gussied up this pig in proprietary slop with Android perfume all over it... but they're STARTING to garnish a little bit of my favor lately with some of their moves to open up their hardware and even contributing to a GPL'ed Linux distribution to run on their devices.

Reference: http://www.archos.com/products/ta/ar...y=gb&lang=en#5
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-03-20 at 12:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I would also like to see PHYSICAL navigation buttons so virtual ones aren't hogging up space and possibly a dpad or trackball.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
I would also like to see PHYSICAL navigation buttons so virtual ones aren't hogging up space and possibly a dpad or trackball.
Not an option in Honeycomb as I understand it. However, it just combines the status bar as part of this button bar.

I hope Archos puts a full size USB port on there 5 inch device as well a front facing camera. Now that these Archos devices have a 5 inch form factor again and some other stuff Samsung http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=70019 efforts to compete with Archos are once again doomed. Face it no Android Media player option even comes close to what Archos offers. the Galaxy Player devices are nice but have always offered so little compared to Archos media player. I even hear the 5 inch galaxy player will be 400 dollar Samsung has got to be kidding

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
I think the best solution is a 3g SDCARD similar to the Wifi SDCARDS of yesteryear I think that could work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Despite the shortcomings that Archos devices have brought over the years, you can't deny that there pricing and feature has always pro-consumer and hey it better than the Xoom's pricing http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=229201256 face it most tablet's pricing is too high end. I mean come one 800 dollar for a device that you use to dick around with and read books, really1!!!!!!onetwo I could buy a good notebook for that price or I could buy practically every tablet in Archos' line or three Nook colors. I really think Archos can one up there competition with google certification and the new features in these tablets. I could really help Archos achieve there dominance in low end tablets they want. At least I'm routing for Archos just like I route for AMD, remember route for the little guy. Lets not have big companies make us take in the *** and pay more for less shall we.

Tags
android envy, bada rox, competition, no bada for u