Active Topics

Not withstanding my charm or lack therof...

It is of course reasonable and smart to start negotiation with the retailer from a position of courtesy and friendliness and retain this attitude throughout as much as possible. This is better for peace on earth in general, and the health of your own digestive system.

It was only when phrases like "You are out of luck", and "There is really nothng we can do" came up im my experience that the gloves were loosened slightly.

Good luck!

cAPS

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Brasil
On the other hand... I read about a video that can fix dead pixels. Yep, don´t laugh. It seems to work in some cases (it really fixes stuck pixels, not dead ones, and yours seem to be a stuck pixel). Basically it switches the pixels on and off a number of times and some of them do start working. Google for it, PSP and PDA fórums should have more info as well. You might have to convert the video to a format reconizable by the N 770 though.

Originally Posted by cAPSLOCK
The dead pixels are Nokia's problem first, and the OEM's second.
I have always thought that the dead pixels are something that LCD (or TFT) technology brings with it and the manufacturer cant do a lot to prevent the dead pixels (except of course test the screens properly).

So did I just understood what you said differently or is it possible to make LCD/TFT-screens where dead pixels dont appear or are extremely rare?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by tonberry1
I have always thought that the dead pixels are something that LCD (or TFT) technology brings with it and the manufacturer cant do a lot to prevent the dead pixels (except of course test the screens properly).

So did I just understood what you said differently or is it possible to make LCD/TFT-screens where dead pixels dont appear or are extremely rare?
It's a matter of quality control and how much you are prepared to screw over your customers.

LCD screens are not unlike giant integrated circuits and like those, there is some fallout in the manufacturing process. An honest manufacturer will only keep the flawless ones, but there's always the temptation to say: "Weeellll... it's only one pixel, who's gonna notice?"

Apparently Nokia must think its customers are stark raving blind...

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Brasil
I'd say it's a bit more complicated than that. As you said, LCDs are much like a giant waffer IC. Since there are always flaws in the process, a significant number of LCDs are bound to come with defective pixels; in fact, AFAIK that was the prime for the high cost of LCDs until not long ago. As the manufacturing process matures, one can yield a higher percentage of perfect screens. But even now, it is not rare to come across screens with some defective pixels. If all of those were simply trhown away, the price of LCDs screens would be much higher. I can say that having a small number of defective pixels is a price to pay to have LCDs screens affordable. This is not a policy of Nokia only; almost all LCDs devices have this problem also. Sony PSP are known to have a large number of defective pixels.
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens
It's a matter of quality control and how much you are prepared to screw over your customers.

LCD screens are not unlike giant integrated circuits and like those, there is some fallout in the manufacturing process. An honest manufacturer will only keep the flawless ones, but there's always the temptation to say: "Weeellll... it's only one pixel, who's gonna notice?"

Apparently Nokia must think its customers are stark raving blind...