Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
The difference with slider is that it cannot be easily unintentionally pressed, unlike buttons. Lockscreen is definitely needed on devices, where you can press the power button/doubleclick in pocket (it happened to me quite a few times) by accident.
Exactly!

So on the Jolla we have the powe button, just like on the N900. And, surprise surprise, they behave the same.

So what would be the Jolla's equivalent of the N900's slider? Something that is not too easy to unlock by accident? Is there such a thing at all? Hey, wait, how about the double tap on the screen?

The N900 has two ways of unlocking and they operate differently. Jolla also has two ways of unlocking, so why do they operate the same?

Oh, and BTW, Jolla's and N900's unlock through the lock screen are NOT the same. On the N900, unlocking gets you to where you were before. On the Jolla, it gets you to the home screen.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Go to "System -> Gestures -> Quick app closing" and toggle it on. IMHO, it should be on by default.
He said swipe down to lock, not swipe down to close

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
He said swipe down to lock, not swipe down to close
Thanks, my fault, I commented the last post.

About Sailfish 1.1.9.28, I liked it a lot. It is more Harmattan-like (the events screen is now really useful), shows more than 9 app covers, the new buttons are better than the old ones (with underline), etc.

I hope to see more landscape everywhere in Jolla smarphone with Sailfish 2.0, mainly for use with TOHKBDv2.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
However, the blink animation after selecting an option is at least twice as long as it should be. Same for the power on fade in and unlock.
Seems they know about it, as the "next OS upgrade" section in the release notes mentions it:

• Enhance the speed of pulley menu selection animation

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
BTW, a curious thing just happened. I was typing this on my Jolla and swiped down the keyboard to expose the Submit Reply button and everything that was under the keyboard appeared blurred. I had to scroll the page a little to make it sharp again. I never witnessed that before 1.1.9.x. I just tried it again and it is 100% reproducible, although the more you type the more obvious it is.
This comes from "Browser graphics architecture updated" in the release notes. It can also show up briefly during scrolling of long pages, which is now more fluid and at least doesn't show black screens.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Installed yesterday and so far... I like it. Looks good, though I do need more time to get used to it until changed things come by naturally. I guess my wife will have smaller learning curve when she changes to Jolla some day, now using my old N9...

What I miss the most is full landscape mode, as I use the phone almost daily in my car. For the same reason ambiences should have more functions than to just change ring tones and appearance. Like changing to car mode ambience would automatically enable bluetooth etc...

The browser feels smoothier, however at times it still takes time for it to actually start loading web pages. Memory consumption may also be not that optimized as OOM kicks in very fast after some time of browsing. Leaving app covers open eases the pain as it's not necessary to restart those apps from grid anymore.

Events view is fine and will improve as more feeds are enabled in next update.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
OMG, the lock screen! It was always useless but now it stands in the way more than ever. Unlocking the phone is now a major operation. It takes so long that I can almost make myself a coffee. I would do away with it completely if I could, it serves no purpose whatsoever other than slowing you down.
Did you know that a double press of the power button wakes straight to home screen? Works only when lock code is not required, though.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ssahla For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ssahla View Post
Did you know that a double press of the power button wakes straight to home screen? Works only when lock code is not required, though.
No, I did not. Wonderful, thanks! One more negative point down.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Exactly!

So on the Jolla we have the powe button, just like on the N900. And, surprise surprise, they behave the same.

So what would be the Jolla's equivalent of the N900's slider? Something that is not too easy to unlock by accident? Is there such a thing at all? Hey, wait, how about the double tap on the screen?

The N900 has two ways of unlocking and they operate differently. Jolla also has two ways of unlocking, so why do they operate the same?

Oh, and BTW, Jolla's and N900's unlock through the lock screen are NOT the same. On the N900, unlocking gets you to where you were before. On the Jolla, it gets you to the home screen.
Sorry, I used the wrong word in my previous post - I meant to say double tap instead of doubleclick. What I was trying to say was that double tap can be accidentally triggered, just like the power button. It happened to me quite a few times (even in my pocket).

But yeah, I forgot about the power button double click option

The Following User Says Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
One thing I really like is the "tap home screen to bring up 4 favorite applications".
This action immediately feels intuitive and this is an ideal spot for putting the camera / phone / message application!

Disappointing to notice that from the moment you launch 1 application and keep it running, this functionality is GONE. Pressing the blurred out area (even if it is 80% of display area) next to the minimized applications gets you nowhere.

From there if you like to launch the camera you need to pull up the whole application icon grid and it all turns into a nostalgic iPhone 3 experience.

And yes, in the quick menu the camera is on the bottom and in the full grid the camera is on the top. Inconsistency all over the place.

I get this must have been discussed before.

But I am just amazed about how they ,128 persons minus one, can get it almost right yet not succeed in bringing full consistency throughout the interface.

Or are they deliberately trying not to copy functionality from Maemo, which OS flow they should know inside out? Especially the N900 had "press empty desktop space next to minimized app icons" to return to desktop / favorites icons. And I did not need a manual to figure out its use!

Is there already a together.jolla.com request to fix this?

Edit: ok I found it: https://together.jolla.com/question/...creen-sfos-20/

Last edited by ste-phan; 2015-09-10 at 06:25.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post: