Active Topics

Notices

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by GreySim View Post
I'm not 100% positive, but probably 90% sure that the answer is no. If I remember what I read correctly earlier, that would require resampling the cover, which would degrade performance or something. You could put up a feature request for, say, LMS to build a cover cache with resampled images generated as media gets scanned, instead of on the fly, which might work, but I'm not sure. I really can barely keep my eyes open at this point though, so good luck.
I'm totally lost here. You are saying that these 18 pages of people saying how great this release is doesn't care that their albums does not show the covers? Even if this release has a Album view that is useless at this point?

Thanks in advance, I just want to understand how this wonderful piece of software works!

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Recife, Brazil
Originally Posted by amigokin View Post
I'm totally lost here. You are saying that these 18 pages of people saying how great this release is doesn't care that their albums does not show the covers? Even if this release has a Album view that is useless at this point?

Thanks in advance, I just want to understand how this wonderful piece of software works!
As was said before, we cannot distribute something to get the covers from the internet, and as there is no standard for covers in album dirs (some people would say cover.jpg, some cover.png, some album.jpg, some front.jpg, ...) and we are very sensible to size so we do well on such slow hardware, we left this until we have something better to provide.

In mean time, you can use http://staff.get-e.org/?p=users/chen....git;a=summary as starting point to hack your own solution until we have something official, actually that was the idea in having this as free software, so you can help yourself until we have something. If you need some pointers, you can install python ID3 lib and use "os.walk()" to get files, ID3 to get album/artist name and then use the example code to load images and generate images with the correct size. If someone does that, then please post it here or at planet.maemo so others can benefit.

Originally Posted by barbieri View Post
As was said before, we cannot distribute something to get the covers from the internet, and as there is no standard for covers in album dirs (some people would say cover.jpg, some cover.png, some album.jpg, some front.jpg, ...) and we are very sensible to size so we do well on such slow hardware, we left this until we have something better to provide.

In mean time, you can use http://staff.get-e.org/?p=users/chen....git;a=summary as starting point to hack your own solution until we have something official, actually that was the idea in having this as free software, so you can help yourself until we have something. If you need some pointers, you can install python ID3 lib and use "os.walk()" to get files, ID3 to get album/artist name and then use the example code to load images and generate images with the correct size. If someone does that, then please post it here or at planet.maemo so others can benefit.
Wow, that is complicated. I don't understand why is not possible for Canola to read a specific image name with a specific size. I don't mid if you choose one and I have to do the conversion in order to see the album art.

I don't understand why something that simple is that hard to implement...

Looks & feels fantastic. Now all I want is those covers for my albums, but I can wait..

THANK YOU

I'm totally lost here. You are saying that these 18 pages of people saying how great this release is doesn't care that their albums does not show the covers?

One person's must have feature is frequently a *yawn* for someone else, or something to be disabled.

I for one could care less about covers... in fact if they occupied too much space or used too much system resource, I'd be disabling such a feature.

Granted, I'm more inclined to use any media player (including a desktop Unix workstation) more like an iPod shuffle than many of you might. Covers just get in the way of "select playlist; random; play all".

Now if there is a useful way to build up a playlist (coming soon, perhaps?) while navigating through covers, then I would be happy to have that graphical assistance at my fingertips for that purpose.

The Canola folks have given a reason as to why they do not provide cover downloads with *their* product, and have also indicated that the field is open to third parties to provide; its not unreasonable for a new *beta* application to come out before third party developers have a chance to release their add-ons.

Originally Posted by wetcoast View Post
The Canola folks have given a reason as to why they do not provide cover downloads with *their* product, and have also indicated that the field is open to third parties to provide; its not unreasonable for a new *beta* application to come out before third party developers have a chance to release their add-ons.
Don't get me wrong here! I LOVE Canola. I think it is the best multimedia player for the tablet, by far.

What I *really* wanted to know if why Canola can't read my own locally stored cover images (even if they define the size, filename and format), just that.

You have to understand that the player even has a Cover View and every screenshot and video preview shows the music screens with covers. So the album art is a very part of the software.

Go, Canola, go!

1st post....

I would love to complain or praise Canola2.....but after hours of trying I still haven't been able to download it. So is there some trick you all know about that you aren't telling me?

Patience.

Perhaps wait until its the middle of the night over north america...

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by ebe51 View Post
1st post....

I would love to complain or praise Canola2.....but after hours of trying I still haven't been able to download it. So is there some trick you all know about that you aren't telling me?
If there is some trick, please share with me too. I've tried off and on all day to no avail - install fails every single time. I've even tried apt-get from Xterm and it still fails. What are you guys doing that we're not

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by amigokin View Post
Wow, that is complicated. I don't understand why is not possible for Canola to read a specific image name with a specific size. I don't mid if you choose one and I have to do the conversion in order to see the album art.

I don't understand why something that simple is that hard to implement...
So it won't look for a cover art image file within an album directory? Or coverart embedded in the file? Woah... That seems so simple for such a slick piece of software.

I can't imagine it's performance related as photos are resized very quickly (and cached?) within the same app.

I guess I'm lost here, as I saw coverart in the demo video. So is the answer that:

a) the *only* way to have cover art right now is by taking a look at the python script from the GIT repo

or

b) for cover art to show you must follow the following rules. (file names, embedded, etc)

Closed Thread