Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post

HOW COME NO ONE HAD A PROBLEM WITH THIS THEN BUT THEY DO NOW?!?
Certainly no need for big font for that question!

Plenty of people here had a problem with the move from Maemo to MeeGo. Maybe you weren't around much then, or have a memory lapse.

People have a bigger problem this time, because the Intel collaboration did not kill openness, Linux stuff, etc. And while the MeeGo transition seemed stupid, this one sounds suicidal, or at least extremely diminishing of what Nokia was and could have been.

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
As a company you don't loose money if your stocks are going down. A high equity price is useful in the case you want to issue new shares, companies don't do that very often. So short-term fluctuations are no big deal.
Thats a rather simplistic view - at the extremes price matters - see credit ratings and cost of funds.

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
As a company you don't loose money if your stocks are going down. A high equity price is useful in the case you want to issue new shares, companies don't do that very often. So short-term fluctuations are no big deal.
Of course you don't lose that in cash in real time, but stock works in mysterious ways. Including as currency in stock-swap based acquisitions and a part of remuneration packages.

If I still rooted for Nokia I'd be worried by them losing a quarter of their market valuation (what you call a "short-term fluctuation") practically overnight as the market's opinion to elop's eloping with ms.

Originally Posted by pxa270 View Post
Huh? Suppose for the moment that the handset UX was nowhere near ready for a launch this year. How can you say it has nothing to do with MeeGo?
Because Nokia's UX was going to be closed source. The reference UX is the bare minimum required to operate a device, not a complete user experience. This was laid out many times.

So whatever Nokia had, has no bearing on MeeGo itself, which is much, much more than the reference user interfaces that people have been crying and whining about.

Originally Posted by alcade
BIG TEXT
Totally fair question, however Intel has not been tried for anti-competitive actions, only investigated in ways that led them to folding (and fast!) The caveat with the MeeGo partnership vs WP7, is that Intel never once had a hold on Nokia over it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Whatever monies MS might promise to eventually pay Nokia (billion+ $$ ??) as part of this pact:

1) MS has already benefitted many times over by fully kneecapping the only proper Linux + Qt system in existence. Their winpho is nowhere yet and it doesn't cost them anything to keep Nokia fumbling around for the next 1-2 years.

2) Nokia has already lost many times over. 25% and counting already lost from Nokia's asset balance since the news of the MS-elop pact leaked out. Nokia could've bought Linux #2 Novell (large patent & IP portfolio, Qt/GTK/.NET/Mono developers, also working on Meego) for a fraction of this lost valuation.

3) Nokia's subcontractor network (also well on their way to migrating to the Qt platform) are taking a massive hit now, as is the Finnish stock market/economy, but that's none of MS/elop's concern of course.

Did Nokia go all out and try making the Meego (they could easily have rebranded it FFS!) strategy work?

Nope.
1.These posts belong on abovetopsecret.com. I was just reading a post there "China Developing Anti-Gravity Technology". Intriguingly, there was a 30-second WP7 ad on the page. Proof of the conspiracy!!!

1B. Poor, poor, Ballmer. Lying awake at night worrying not about iPhone, Android, Chrome OS, ARM compatibility, iPods, the Cloud, but Linux and the Qt framework. Yes, Qt, the most fearsome threat Microsoft has ever faced. It must be destroyed by any means possible! It's available on Windows desktop, Max OSX and desktop Linux and I can't think of one commercial software vendor adopting it rather than products like Visual Studio and .NET, but somehow it's going to take over the world when it's on a Nokia phone! That way people can write software that works on a non-existent MeeGo and a dying Symbian - it's unstoppable!

1C. Yes, Microsoft entered a deal with Nokia to intentionally make them "fumble around" at a cost of only a few hundred million or billion dollars (because they weren't fumbling around already and were never going to implode if left to their own devices). Microsoft's goal was to screw with an open source framework, not to get its mobile OS on smart phones and help secure its place in an emerging mobile market before it gets shut out. No, that would be crazy conspiracy talk.

2. Yes, the clear plan for Nokia would have been to purchase a business that contains an unprofitable and dying network segment and a profitable desktop Linux segment, neither of which Nokia knows anything about, then kill off the network business and halt development on SUSE Linux Enterprise to channel their developers into MeeGO and introduce things like Mono into MeeGo, probably requiring another major rewrite/reset of the OS. Of course, it wouldn't actually need to buy Novell and kill it in order to get experienced Linux developers or use open source Mono and could just license any patents it needed for much cheaper than buying them and it already has a great deal of software engineers and is spending massive amounts on R&D with little to show for it, but hey... why not drag another company down with them?

2B. As an unabashed fan and user of openSUSE, which dragged me away from Windows XP for good, your scenario is giving me chest pains right now and my hands are shaking.

2C. Making a phone OS on top of openSUSE would have been a nice idea, however.

3. No, it's not his concern. If Nokia's been ladling out the gravy for years and spending enormous amounts of money on R&D that have failed to yield what they needed to return to a leadership position, how dare he stop spending that money or remove people who can't show that their work has contributed to the bottom line of the company? What would Finland had done if GM was located there when the company almost went bankrupt? Demanded GM hire more auto workers and give them all raises and make no budget cuts and not get rid of any failing brands? (RIP Pontiac, the Symbian of cars )

4. Yes, if Nokia had just clicked its heels togther three times, made a wish, sprinkled fairy dust, then asked all of Nokia's employees to just try really, really hard this time, MeeGo would suddenly get finished, it would kill iOS and Android, and Finland and MeeGO and Richard Stallman would all live happily ever after.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by shockgiga View Post
as what i have read from the Q&A with elop at MWC, is that, nokia may be depending on microsoft and pay them royalties for it, but at the same time, there will be no more money spent on OS development. so those factors just balances the situation. ( and it may be cheaper just to pay royalties too )
Yes, that's the way forward in the technology industry; don't do the hard work yourself, pay somebody else to do it for you. The next obvious step for Nokia is to outsource hardware development to, say, Motorola or somebody. Then, just slap the "Nokia" name somewhere on the thing and boom, the company is rolling in pure profit!

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
your scenario is giving me chest pains right now and my hands are shaking.
So at least something good came out if it.

Yes, Qt, the most fearsome threat Microsoft has ever faced. It must be destroyed by any means possible! It's available on Windows desktop, Max OSX and desktop Linux and I can't think of one commercial software vendor adopting it rather than products like Visual Studio and .NET, but somehow it's going to take over the world when it's on a Nokia phone! That way people can write software that works on a non-existent MeeGo and a dying Symbian - it's unstoppable!
First, stop acting like a jerk.

Although I wouldn't call Qt a threat currently, good development tools other than those provided by microsoft which are platform independent are indeed a problem for microsoft. The dominance of windows is also due to their superior development tools compared to other platforms.

Remember applications today and in the future don't necessarily have the look and feel of the platform as in the past.

Posts: 205 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ manila, philippines
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Yes, that's the way forward in the technology industry; don't do the hard work yourself, pay somebody else to do it for you. The next obvious step for Nokia is to outsource hardware development to, say, Motorola or somebody. Then, just slap the "Nokia" name somewhere on the thing and boom, the company is rolling in pure profit!
now that will surely never happen. coz nokia is most known the world over for its awesomely designed, engineered and built hardware.
(even critics do not have anything to say about that).

so having to outsource hardware production is just plainly stupid.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by shockgiga View Post
now that will surely never happen. coz nokia is most known the world over for its awesomely designed, engineered and built hardware.
(even critics do not have anything to say about that).

so having to outsource hardware production is just plainly stupid.
Why not? You yourself noted the amazing amount of money Nokia will be saving by not developing an OS; they could save just as much money by not developing any hardware. If there's no business advantage in having an operating system built under your own control and to your own specifications, then surely there's also no business sense in messing around with your own hardware designs either. Let somebody else do all the real work, and Nokia can just sit back and let the bucks roll in...

Tags
bada rox, meego rip