Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I would like to have level tool so I know if something is correct.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by edgar2 View Post
wonder if someone could manage to do a small and stylish TOH wallet, with space for a few cards and just the odd paper bill or coin. it doesn't have to be *just* a wallet, could be a combined wallet and battery/keyboard/whatnot. don't mind the extra bulk if it means i can let go of my mini wallet.
Like that idea ALOT

Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
You will see, next Intel SoC will wipe the floor with ARM.
no way. Its just marketing bullish. X86 is broken old beast that deserve to die.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
no way. Its just marketing bullish. X86 is broken old beast that deserve to die.
There is only 5 years in difference between x86 (1978) and ARM (1983). Do you have anything more substantial than pure x86 bashing? Sure ARM has great designs for low power, but Intel is a giant and they just started to conquer back the market.

Intel is taking mobile serious since it's last generation of mobile ATOM CPU's, which was codenamed Medfield. They were already on par of performance and used less energy in most situations compared to it'S ARM counterparts. While Medfield was technically competetive, it was behind in production process which was only at 32nm (although LP). Samsung, Qualcomm, Apple and co. were already producing ARM CPU's at 28nm at that time. Anandtech has a good review of Medfield. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5365/i...or-smartphones

Now with next generation Intel is for the first time favoring the mobile ATOM platforms in process technology. Silvermont will be produced in 22nm with tri-gate transistors, which is way ahead of every other manfacturer out there. Intel is taking it very serious this time.
Again Anandtech has a very detailed article about it: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6936/i...s-about-mobile

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Also, the x86-part of current day x86-CPUs is little more than opcode-decoder, which translates them into micro-ops which are rather RISC-like. x86 is therefor akin a high level standardized language for the outside world.

But for us Linux-users the actual CPU arch is of less importance, as much of the stuff is open source which can be compiled with relative ease for other platforms. Heck, just run EasyDebian on your N9(00) to see all your favorite desktop applications running on an ARM.

What would stop Jolla from choosing x86 at this point? They can simply recompile their own stuff. So can most developers. Changing arch after release is much more cumbersome, as there is no JavaVM is rather platform agnostic, and JIT-compiling ARM-code to x86 is not all that efficient - although that is what Intel is doing now on Android.
But it's far from impossible. Apple did it before.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
There is only 5 years in difference between x86 (1978) and ARM (1983). Do you have anything more substantial than pure x86 bashing? Sure ARM has great designs for low power, but Intel is a giant and they just started to conquer back the market.

Intel is taking mobile serious since it's last generation of mobile ATOM CPU's, which was codenamed Medfield. They were already on par of performance and used less energy in most situations compared to it'S ARM counterparts. While Medfield was technically competetive, it was behind in production process which was only at 32nm (although LP). Samsung, Qualcomm, Apple and co. were already producing ARM CPU's at 28nm at that time. Anandtech has a good review of Medfield. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5365/i...or-smartphones

Now with next generation Intel is for the first time favoring the mobile ATOM platforms in process technology. Silvermont will be produced in 22nm with tri-gate transistors, which is way ahead of every other manfacturer out there. Intel is taking it very serious this time.
Again Anandtech has a very detailed article about it: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6936/i...s-about-mobile
the best that we can say is that with Silvermont Intel will no longer be a crap mobile solution, and will at least be competitive.

arm chips are small and relatively uncomplicated which means they will be among the lead devices to run with 20nm fabrication from TSMC et-al.

we might see the first 20nm ARM A57/A53 SoC's in H1 2014, which is at most only three months after Intel Merrifield is due to arrive.

Again X86 is broken on embedded. You can try as much as you want with marketing bullish but you will never convince me its better than ARM platform on embedded.

I really hope ARM or MIPS can replace my X86 laptop too in some years.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-08-14 at 18:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
I'm quite CPU-agnostic (running Intel on desktop, AMD on nettop), using Linux all around, so really, I'm mostly interested in raw power (desktop) and energy efficiency (mobile). But even though ARM's CortexA15 core seem to pack quite a punch, it isn't in Intel's ballpark yet on top performance, but it is substantially more power hungry than the A9/A7. Frankenstein-solutions like littleBIG are needed to keep it within limits.

It's good to have some competition though. Compared to comparably priced CPU's today, my 2 year old desktop i7 CPU is just about 10% slower. And I think that's in part due to the lack of true competition on the desktop. In the mean time, mobile speeds have soared.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
10% slower in what sense? In terms of pure MHz/GHz, I'd agree... but then again, CPU speed seems to have plateaued and manufacturers instead appear to be focusing on improving sideways (cores). Is it down to lack of competition? I think that's a bit "unfair" since the big two (AMD/Intel) have pretty much always been there and despite the lack of "competition", speeds have always improved at a pretty steady pace (at least up until recent times). Would the continued existence of folks like IBM, Cyrix, etc. in the CPU market be better for consumers and CPU speed in general? I'm not really convinced.

My 2 cents

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
The long awaited disc phone is here. Unfortunately, jolla isn't behind it. Would be nice with a clock as other-side with flexible screen.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-15 at 17:52.

Tags
half-assed?, irfmtransceiver, jolla, the other half, voting for nemo