Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Wow, an amazing sentence. I hope that those who thanked this passage understood what they were thanking.
Skepticism that they will be able to do anything for the community? Correct me if I'm wrong, uk, but I don't think that he's implying they won't want to. I suspect he's implying status quo, or worse, given Nokia's track record for communicating and working with the community.

On the other hand, maybe I misinterpreted "service" and it was intended to be a raunchy innuendo, in which case I'm sure the council will agree with him.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Skepticism that they will be able to do anything for the community? Correct me if I'm wrong, uk, but I don't think that he's implying they won't want to. I suspect he's implying status quo, or worse, given Nokia's track record for communicating and working with the community.

On the other hand, maybe I misinterpreted "service" and it was intended to be a raunchy innuendo, in which case I'm sure the council will agree with him.
You hit the nail bang on there as i am more concerned what Nokia will get up to in the future, mainly what devices they will bring out because it is all too easy for developers of any kind to drop something like a stone IF something much better hardware wise comes along and, i still think that without Nokia's help this community will only get so far with development for the N900.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
You hit the nail bang on there as i am more concerned what Nokia will get up to in the future, mainly what devices they will bring out because it is all too easy for developers of any kind to drop something like a stone IF something much better hardware wise comes along and, i still think that without Nokia's help this community will only get so far with development for the N900.
In another discussion, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=55762 it has been explained that the reason we do not have Chromium available in the official repos is because Nokia was warned off by somebody suing Google over Chrome. It was explained then that Nokia funds this forum, and so even hosting Chromium here could compromise Nokia, as this is seen as Nokia's baby.

There is so much uncertainty about the future of Maemo and the n900; it seems that Nokia may not even know what is happening. That is a concern, especially as I am sure this community can have no means of planning ahead in that situation.

I am wondering whether Nokia's tie-in with Microsoft was in part to extricate itself from the minefield of patent litigation that affects open source software. There was a Microsoft suit against SatNav manufacturers, and another against Novell, and more recently this suit against Google, and Nokia had a suit against Apple that I heard was just dismissed, there was an bizarre suit involving SCO at one point. I seem to recall quite a lot of suits around Linux the past few years.

I'm wondering whether the legal assault Microsoft launched against people who use linux code in embedded devices is starting to pay dividends, as others jump on the bandwagon. Some of the suits might appear frivolous, and trawling for pay-offs, but I guess they have the effect of stopping delivery of component parts of the user environment (such as Chrome). It would be very tempting to avoid the risk of inadvertently compromising patents or intellectual property that has crept into linux, and the legal costs in trying to protect such investment (either for advice or defence), and having to make much of one's own development code available to anybody for free - and work with Microsoft and develop on a closed system: that cushions the manufacturer to a greater extent.

Last edited by mishmich; 2011-03-25 at 22:21.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mishmich View Post
There is so much uncertainty about the future of Maemo and the n900; it seems that Nokia may not even know what is happening.
If this is true... then the uncertainty in this forum is warranted and the silence from Nokia justified.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Any comments on this news:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13207148

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
That news leaves out the 3000 employees that are transfered to Accenture, and will lose their jobs within a year or two. Cleaver way for Nokia to outsource bad PR from big job cuts.

More news like that propably coming next year, as Nokia winds down R&D and stops being a high tech corporation, and transforms into a Dell like manufacturer.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
See this article as well, it looks like they are giving up on any future symbian development, even in the short term?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/0...73P05L20110427

How many people do Nokia actually employ if they are going to lose 7,000 employees with these moves?

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
That news leaves out the 3000 employees that are transfered to Accenture, and will lose their jobs within a year or two. Cleaver way for Nokia to outsource bad PR from big job cuts.

More news like that propably coming next year, as Nokia winds down R&D and stops being a high tech corporation, and transforms into a Dell like manufacturer.
Plan was to cut down 1 billion euros out of Devices and Services by 2013. That no doubt is almost all part of R&D.

Though you got a ask how efficient Nokia's R&D has been? It's 6 times larger than Apple and even with this annual 1 billion cut it will still be the largest R&D team in the business.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-04-27 at 09:39.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Plan was to cut down 1 billion euros out of Devices and Services by 2013. That no doubt is almost all part of R&D.

Though you got a ask how efficient Nokia's R&D has been? It's 6 times larger than Apple and even with this annual 1 billion cut it will still be the largest R&D team in the business.
This efficient:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/20/n...n-made-of-ice/

blue sky and pie in the sky research.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by tissot View Post

It's just the first cut. Plenty of more coming next year or two. The new Nokia doesn't really need real development. Just some engineers to choose hardware parts from Asian manufacturers and some Windows customization. Another huge R&D cut comes once NSN is finally sold, dumped or taken behind the bran and shot in the head (iirc NSN is about 3rd of Nokia R&D expenditure).

By the way, Jo Harlow already won the Best Corporate Propaganda Award for 2011. Quite a achievement this early in the year, but the absurdity of this statement just can't be beaten:

"This collaboration demonstrates our ongoing commitment to enhance our Symbian offering and serve our smartphone customers," said Jo Harlow, executive vice president for Smart Devices, Nokia."

Nothing quite says commitment to platform as explicitly as sacking & outsourcing the people working on that platform.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org