Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by NikolaiM View Post
Sending discover...
Lease failed:
zeroconf: address selected is 169.254.173.8
zeroconf: state is Active/Announce, Link-local address 169.254.173.8
bogus packet, option fields too long: Read past the packet length when getting option 0x1 (308 >= 308)

and there are many of the above error with different options quoted instead of 0x1

then

/etc/udhcpc/default.script: exec: line 7: /etc/udhcpc/default.zeroconf: not found

then starts:

sending discover...

etc
"line 7" is OK but the rest is very bad. It looks like you get a wrong data from DHCP server. For exam "bogus packet, option fields too long" points to invalid UDP packet from DHCP server...

Try connect to WLAN in some another place, please. It would be a fast test that issue is in device or in WLAN router.

EDIT: BTW, multiple "sending discover" points to somethink wrong with DHCP server or connection to it. It usualy responds on first request... may be second. But multiple ... there is a problem with WiFi network setup, and based on your description that only DNS doesn't work - the problem inside WiFi network, not in N900.

Last edited by egoshin; 2010-01-16 at 02:32.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
It doesn't really fit in this thread, but since you raised the issue: vpnc worked out of the box for me, despite the above issues. After reading your description, I thought I should clean up issue 1), and I
modified the /etc/vpnc/vpnc-script so that it would no longer use the generic behavior, but the maemo one, by changing
Code:
elif [ -e /etc/osso-af-init ]; then                                        
        MODIFYRESOLVCONF=modify_resolvconf_maemo                           
        RESTORERESOLVCONF=restore_resolvconf_maemo
I also did
Code:
echo "nameserver 127.0.0.1" > /etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver 127.0.0.1" > /etc/vpnc/resolv.conf-backup
to have everything in order, following your previous suggestions. But after a VPN session, it now no longer returned to the state it was in before, i.e. I lost my WLAN connection despite having seemingly correct resolv.conf files (instead of emptied ones). Don't understand...
WLAN loss has nothing with DNS. You hit something else. What do you mean "loss" - your N900 disconnected WLAN? Or you just can't ping host.wlan.yourdomain because it host.wlan.youdomain
is unknown?

EDIT: Try connect VLAN again and disconnect (no modifications of any resolve.conf), it looks like it helps. Sorry, I can't setup vpnc connection now and test.

EDIT2: After second look I think it has sense to you stop debugging vpnc-script and return it to usual one or just reinstall vpnc. Sorry, but it is difficult to debug via conference thread. I had no time to do it (I use Cisco VPN from time to time, on business trip), so - please stop debugging it.

Last edited by egoshin; 2010-01-16 at 02:36.

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
"line 7" is OK but the rest is very bad. It looks like you get a wrong data from DHCP server. For exam "bogus packet, option fields too long" points to invalid UDP packet from DHCP server...

Try connect to WLAN in some another place, please. It would be a fast test that issue is in device or in WLAN router.

EDIT: BTW, multiple "sending discover" points to somethink wrong with DHCP server or connection to it. It usualy responds on first request... may be second. But multiple ... there is a problem with WiFi network setup, and based on your description that only DNS doesn't work - the problem inside WiFi network, not in N900.
You are correct. There is something wrong with my WiFi network.. But I cannot work out what the issue is, and how to then fix it.

Hey maemo developers... thank you for the new update Release 51.. I installed that version and now the data connection is working fine.

I went to OVI store and I can download very good the applications.

I'm so happy because OVI store put and FTP application and this is a usefull tool I have looking for a long time ago.

It's very nice to have and very fast answer from you. I know I bet for the best phone cell company (NOKIA).

And of course now I enjoy my N900

thank you

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
WLAN loss has nothing with DNS. You hit something else. What do you mean "loss" - your N900 disconnected WLAN? Or you just can't ping host.wlan.yourdomain because it host.wlan.youdomain
is unknown?

EDIT: Try connect VLAN again and disconnect (no modifications of any resolve.conf), it looks like it helps. Sorry, I can't setup vpnc connection now and test.

EDIT2: After second look I think it has sense to you stop debugging vpnc-script and return it to usual one or just reinstall vpnc. Sorry, but it is difficult to debug via conference thread. I had no time to do it (I use Cisco VPN from time to time, on business trip), so - please stop debugging it.
Sorry for the wrong terminology - I certainly didn't lose WLAN itself, just the DNS. And I also immediately went back to my old version as it is working for me. I just had thought that after your posts I understood how it should be, and now know that I still don't understand.

After the update, the WLAN is not working as good as before. If the WLAN has been idle for a while and there is a connection already, it won't work. I need to disconnect and reconnect WLAN connection again to get it running. Is there any cure for this to make it work as it used to. I don't have VPN application etc. installed and I have tried to remove and add the WLAN AP's.

You can add me to the .list. I have never installed any vnc apps but since the upgrade, I have not been able to surf with wifi. i appreciate all the help on the forum but it seems that this is not something that a casual user can go in and fix.

add me to the list too. damn! working thru cellular network...not wlan

vpnc problem for me too... fixed by following instructions below:

Originally Posted by jsbigs View Post
Okay, per this thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...288#post470288

I removed vpnc gui and vpnc (didn't need it as I got OpenVPN to work), then went through the following steps:

1. Install 'rootsh' package
2. Open X Terminal
3. Enter 'sudo gainroot'
4. Enter 'mv /etc/udhcpc/libicd_network_ipv4.script.dpkg-dist /etc/udhcpc/libicd_network_ipv4.script'

rebooted, re-connected to LAN and...back in business!! Thank you Maemo community!

And regarding my fear of flashing and voiding my warranty, it was moot anyway as I've reflashed a couple of times earlier trying to get Knots2 working.

Cheers!

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
wlan not working after reflash of 52. Originally stopped working when complete 52 installation was all mixed up, ending up with no source lists, no root shell ...