Active Topics

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
To the whole WiFi discussion and stuff, - you can sneak peek on http://trac.tspre.org/projects/nit-debian for the NIT-Debian project. We have WPA, WPA2, etc working on it, atleast (I would assume WEP works too), through NetworkManager + nm-applet, so no more fooling around in /etc/network/interfaces

When we get closer to an actual beta release (minor things to work out), we'll make a post in the Debian forum introducing the project.

If you are interested in trying it out and report bugs on the Trac, there's an installation guide on that page. I'll put the new installer documentation up sooner or later and that'll explain what the base packages do.

If you'd like to contribute packages, fixes or the likes, talk to me or johnx on #maemo / FreeNode / IRC, or report them on the bug tracker and attach svn diff's

Also, Flash in the browser. No, it's not Gnash. It is actual, genuine, adobe flash from Maemo, but I still have some quirks to get out as it's a bit of a hack to get working The goal is primarily to use it so we can use it in a gtkmozembed and make a flash UI that way though, from my perspective.

Screenshots:

http://bsd.tspre.org/~stskeeps/scrF1.jpg

http://bsd.tspre.org/~stskeeps/scrF2.jpg

http://bsd.tspre.org/~stskeeps/scrF3.jpg

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the link!! i'll go through and make some of the changes listed in there and see what I can do for my wifi!
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Also, i built a new cx3110x.ko which the installer uses, that makes the driver indicate it has WPA etc support to the wireless layer (shows properly in iwlist wlan0 auth), which was the key to making NetworkManager going.

It's the one linked at the site right?
http://bsd.tspre.org/~stskeeps/nit-debian/`uname -r/cx3110x.ko -> /lib/modules/uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless

if so.. already dl'd it .. thanks again

Following those guidelines at that site in the OldInstaller section I have something that looks much more promising for wireless.. acts just like my Ubuntu systems at home.. I don't have a wireless network to connect to here at work so I'll post again if it actually works when I get home.

Huge thanks Stskeeps.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
EDIT:it semms that i was too late to post this but:

Stskeeps sent me a link that contains most of the up-to-date information about this new version of Debian that installs in a quite interesting way, instead of downloading a HUGE tarball, this new install contains a installer that bootstraps Debian (yes it actually builds it right on your tablet), partitions your memory card, formats your memory card, sets up debian, allows you to set your own user password and root password, allows you to costomize the setup, gives you options for what you want installd and, much, much more.

What's even more amazing is that this progect is so SO big that Jhonx and Stskeeps created a copyrighted licence for the progect:

* Copyright (c) 2008, The NIT-Debian Project
* All rights reserved.
* Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
* modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
* * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
* documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
* * Neither the name of the NIT-Debian Project nor the
* names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products
* derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
* THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE NIT-DEBIAN PROJECT ''AS IS'' AND ANY
* EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
* WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
* DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE NIT-DEBIAN PROJECT BE LIABLE FOR ANY
* DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
* (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
* LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
* ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
* (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
* SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Last edited by b-man; 2008-07-21 at 22:43.

License is mostly there so people are actually by copyright law allowed to use the software, so it's just a BSD license slapped on the components I made, and mentioning that GPL is valid for the GPL items etc. :P

well after going through the beta4 mods I did get wireless to work.. but it was finicky - disconnected twice while I was using it, signal strength was lower in network manager than in the maemo screen - and I had to initiate a manual wpa_cli scan when it was trying to connect to my network to get it to actually connect.

After the second disconnect it started having problems setting the driver to something (can't find the logs).. kept saying "disconnecting from 00:00:00:00:00".. it was odd. But at least it worked for a while .. huge thanks to John for the debian and to all the beta4 guys for what they are doing.. this is awesome to have a full linux in your pocket.. not some watered down micro-version of linux .

I also seem to have issues with sound being a bit choppy.. playing music files in mplayer seems fine if I am not doing anything else.. but video files are awful - anyone else have that problem?

ok the mpd player gmpc plays audio beautifully... what does everyone (anyone) use for playing video??? Doesn't see my .avi files at all in the gmpc..

mpd = music player daemon, not media player daemon.

Which suits me well, as I don't play videos at all. (Aside from the odd howto/demo videos online, which are mostly flash, anyway...)

So no help here, but I'd recommend installing Bundyo's, qwerty12's, or Serge's mplayer builds for the tablets, as they're probably the best optimized. (Bundyo's and qwerty12's have some odd things compiled in, which to get depends if you need any of those. qwerty12's in particular is good for ascii-art )

Tags
debian, deblet