Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
looks like I'm going to wait before paying till all issues will be resolved.
Fair enough!
Even more tough, i hope there are many more people around who share your opinion and buy the pro1 once it is actually available
Also this must be one of the reasons fx does not comment on actual preorder numbers. Because they know themselves those numbers are quite unreliable given many people just showed their vague interest by preordering with no (monetary) strings attached.

Originally Posted by catbus View Post
Any news from Froscon?
It was great!
Community wise i (at least) met cy8aer, BluesLee, LLelectronics, olf, TeZtdevice, pavi, jayki, Thaodan, chenliangchen and sorry if i forgot anyone with TMO handle. EDIT: NobodyInPerson for instance! EDIT2 and velox!
My estimate is we were ~20-30 people in the room.
Olf and Thaodan gave a very good overview about Sailfish and its origins first. Then a short q&a revealed some basic questions from newbies and some more in depth discussions that where rightfully moderated away to the upcoming Community Meeting in Bonn since time was quite short to discuss in this large group.
That said, Olf really surprised me with his super competent moderation style. If it was not for him we would still be sitting in that room randomly chatting around with seat neighbours only

After a break we had chen introducing the pro1 in a very personal manner and explaining how the sailfish port came about, crediting TheKit, Piggz and Mr_Magista.

Since i already had it in hand i limited the hands on to a short "what do i usually do with sfos" tour and was really satisfied. The size and weight of the device + rounded glass makes edge swipes more comfortable than i expected. I checked how low the screen brightness goes comparing to my XA2 and Leszek concluded that the Pro1 is not as "dark" as the XA2 on lowest setting probably due to Amoled screen.
Anyway, the other way around, max brightness again blew me away. I thought it was already at max when i got the pro1 handed but it was at mere 70% and already much brighter and more vivid colors and contrast than the XA2.

Nothing much more i come up with, maybe you have a question?

Last edited by mosen; 2019-08-11 at 10:57.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Thanks for the great summary Mosen, it really is encouraging to see so many people with enthusiastic looks around the table. I hope the retweet by JollaHQ and those about the FrOSCon will drag more influential bloggers or developers into the game, in turn attracting more people too.

Did you see one of the units running the SFOS port boot? Last time we heard about multiboot, it was not done but one of the porters claimed it would be technically feasible. Just curious if there are some first bricks of a boot menu already.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Thanks for the great summary Mosen, it really is encouraging to see so many people with enthusiastic looks around the table. I hope the retweet by JollaHQ and those about the FrOSCon will drag more influential bloggers or developers into the game, in turn attracting more people too.

Did you see one of the units running the SFOS port boot? Last time we heard about multiboot, it was not done but one of the porters claimed it would be technically feasible. Just curious if there are some first bricks of a boot menu already.
I can not confirm multiboot at froscon, have not seen and to be completely honest chen actually asked us not to reboot since there was currently an unwanted state in the test devices that let them only do 5 reboots successfull. Do not know more details though.
The only time i saw some kind of bootloader was the pure fastboot menu at the Düsseldorf event in the photo i linked pages back.

The Jolla retweet.
The "amazing guys" mentioned in the tweet are for sure Olf & Thaodan since they organised the event!

Thaodan told me he communicated with James upfront and was advised to add Photos to play by the social media rules. So he added the Photos you now see retweeted by jolla containing the Pro1.

Lets read the minimum positivity from that.
Jolla at least did not say to Thaodan "please use another image since it is way to early to associate ourselfs with fxtec in any way until they have proven themselfs".

Oh, and Jolla employees privately throwing an eye on the pro1 is another small positive detail imo

And speeking of press, i might have attracted @tonekaboni (editor at c't magazin) to look at the pro1 and he commented along the positive sentimental lines.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
It was great!
Community wise i (at least) met cy8aer, BluesLee, LLelectronics, olf, TeZtdevice, pavi, jayki, Thaodan, chenliangchen and sorry if i forgot anyone with TMO handle. EDIT: NobodyInPerson for instance! EDIT2 and velox!

My estimate is we were ~20-30 people in the room.

After a break we had chen introducing the pro1 in a very personal manner and explaining how the sailfish port came about, crediting TheKit, Piggz and Mr_Magista.

Nothing much more i come up with, maybe you have a question?

https://mosushi.de/misc/20190810_160431.jpg
I Thank You for great summary... Good that the presentation was great, I didn't doubt anything else - I would have liked been there, but not possible...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
While I can appreciate that in todays world we all love to get whatever we want as soon as possible (amazon time). However this should not be confused with capitalism, in a free market it's supply and demand.

If something doesn't live up to the expectations then you simply don't buy it. But if something fit you needs than one would need to evaluate if the price, delivery and build meet the value worth the price.

I look at. this project like a hybrid kickstarter with out buyer funding. They are sharing a lot of info like a crowdfunded project on the process. So we as potential buyer won't loose and money if they fail. When was the last time LG, Samsung, apple, google or most share their process during a new product development?

I do enjoy when people share there options and thought about these device that become integrated into our lives. But I like to remember that a lot of us have waited since 2010 for a device that felt like another n900.

So even though I will most likely wait a certain time before I would buy one (got burnt from neon900). But I can wait and hope they have great success. So they can make a smaller one ... lol

x

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
I can not confirm multiboot at froscon, have not seen and to be completely honest chen actually asked us not to reboot since there was currently an unwanted state in the test devices that let them only do 5 reboots successfull. Do not know more details though.
The only time i saw some kind of bootloader was the pure fastboot menu at the Düsseldorf event in the photo i linked pages back.

The Jolla retweet.
The "amazing guys" mentioned in the tweet are for sure Olf & Thaodan since they organised the event!

Thaodan told me he communicated with James upfront and was advised to add Photos to play by the social media rules. So he added the Photos you now see retweeted by jolla containing the Pro1.

Lets read the minimum positivity from that.
Jolla at least did not say to Thaodan "please use another image since it is way to early to associate ourselfs with fxtec in any way until they have proven themselfs".

Oh, and Jolla employees privately throwing an eye on the pro1 is another small positive detail imo

And speeking of press, i might have attracted @tonekaboni (editor at c't magazin) to look at the pro1 and he commented along the positive sentimental lines.
Thanks for the detailed answer Mosen.

Absolutely, my point was not to overinterpret Jolla's retweet, I know this doesn't mean much at this point. However, @jollahq has admittedly more viewers/followers than most people who mentioned the Pro1 so far (let alone the big tech media after Barcelona, but that was a long time ago already), and FrOSCon can touch people that may be influential or important contributors in the open source world. That's just what I meant.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xman View Post
So even though I will most likely wait a certain time before I would buy one (got burnt from neon900). But I can wait and hope they have great success. So they can make a smaller one ... lol

x
You know what, that's actually what I'm really hoping for as well I did buy the Pro1 (already paid for it), and through that, I want to show my support to FxTec/Livermorium and hope that they can make more hardware keyboard phones in the future.

I'm hoping that the next device (Pro2? Pro2 S? ) will be a lot smaller, and will be fully 'open source' (no lib-hybris, etc.) and with hardware kill-switches for at least cameras and microphone. Much like Purism's Librem 5 and Pine's PinePhone.

That's actually my only extra wishes comparing to the Pro 1. I think hardware-wise and on paper the device is perfect otherwise.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by ThomasAH View Post
You know what, that's actually what I'm really hoping for as well I did buy the Pro1 (already paid for it), and through that, I want to show my support to FxTec/Livermorium and hope that they can make more hardware keyboard phones in the future.

I'm hoping that the next device (Pro2? Pro2 S? ) will be a lot smaller, and will be fully 'open source' (no lib-hybris, etc.) and with hardware kill-switches for at least cameras and microphone. Much like Purism's Librem 5 and Pine's PinePhone.

That's actually my only extra wishes comparing to the Pro 1. I think hardware-wise and on paper the device is perfect otherwise.
+1
not a lot smaller but more like XA2 or JollaC without bezel would match my size wish (ordered a XA2, as XA2+ is just too big too feel comfortable in pocket for every day use). HW kill switch for cam, mic and modem would be mice, too. But...
And full support (maybe dual boot) of "independent" OS...

Oh, we are already starting the wish list for your next device, Chen!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Oh, we are already starting the wish list for your next device, Chen!
For one i hope Fx will not answer Pro2 questions anytime soon.
Anybody remember the Osborne Effect?

EDIT:
Oh yes, we all know.
The wiki article even states that the Elop Effect is related:

"
Another example of the Osborne effect took place as a result of Nokia CEO Stephen Elop's implementation of the plan to shift away from Symbian to Windows Phone for its mobile software platform. On top of this, criticism of existing products was compared to the Ratner effect. These two together led to the coining of the term "Elop effect", to describe the combination of both premature announcement and negative comments on existing products.[8][9] Although it was known for some time that Nokia's Symbian phones were no longer competitive against iOS and Android, they still generated significant profit thanks to Nokia's brand recognition until Elop's announcement "effectively transformed the Symbian cash-cow into a dead duck"."

Last edited by mosen; 2019-08-12 at 13:15.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Definitely.

Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro1! Pro2 ?

We are far away from any announcement. First concentrate on the current device to get a success!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit