Active Topics

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Finland
Apparently Android apps can't access the camera? I tried a QR code reader but no luck.

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by casl View Post
  • No Pebble app yet. (Rockwatch under development?)
I will be porting Rockwatch, but I can't really do much until my phone arrives as most of the infrastructure it has to interface with isn't available in the emulator. (Also, it'll probably only be available through unofficial channels for a while since Python apps aren't officially supported through the store yet).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elleo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
I noticed that 'The First One' cover that installs the 'exclusive' ambience has also its own ringtones, but:
1) I haven't found a place in the UI that lists them
2) they are probably for exclusive use of that ambience, as they are installed under the ambience folder name (/usr/share/ambience/ambience-the-first-one)

It's a pity, because it seems like the cover changes only the screen background and doesn't let you know the additional properties of the ambience.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Which touchscreen device is really usable with one hand?
certainly not any one with a larger 4 inch display (try to reach the upper left corner of the screen with your right thumb - it's not something you even try getting used to).
And you did say *fully* usable with one hand, right?
I see that working only as long as neither typing nor browsing is involved. pinch-to-zoom with just one hand? please show me! How many people do you ever see typing with one hand (i.e. the same hand they are holding the device with)?
Be honest: If your messages are longer than one phrase, you usually bother to employ the second hand as well, or postpone the typing to a situation where you have both hands available: true or false?
To me, completely one-handed usage of phones died with touchscreens (maybe due to the fact that my first touchscreen device was a N900 - but my next one, C7, is in no way better suited)...
FWIW, I used my N9 with just one hand all the time, including typing. That is one of the reasons why I like/d it so much. Browsing in landscape mode was the only exception. Using Jolla with one hand is not quite as easy, but I still comfortably use it and type with one hand. Closing applications takes a bit of stretching and is probably the biggest difference between Jolla and N9 in terms of ergonomics. I feel that if the lower bezel was just a bit smaller it would help the situation a lot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tujutzki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Does anybody knows how the Android apps are getting their network connection?
I have a panasonic camera which can be contolled with an adroid app called "panasonic image app". On my N900 that works like charm with Nitdroid.
On my new Jolla the app doesn't find any wifi signals.

Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Oh an next question:
Is there really just one speaker and no stereo, or is there something wrong with my jolla. At the bottom it looks like there are two speakers but only on the opening on left side there is sound.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Oh an next question:
Is there really just one speaker and no stereo, or is there something wrong with my jolla. At the bottom it looks like there are two speakers but only on the opening on left side there is sound.
Yes, there is only one. The other speaker grill is just a design feature (or there is the microphone behind it perhaps).
There's nothing wrong with your Jolla.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
Some info from @Stezz about coming updates:

Stefano Mosconi ‏@zzste 12m
@AnttiSaarnio we target another bugfix update before EOY. New features during Q1/14. // @vheikkol @JollaHQ
Attached Images

The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
It seems that Jolla doesn't support AC3 (Dolby Digital). I can see the file on Media player but it cannot play it. I don't think this is a significant loss but in case somebody is interested to know.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Speaking of audio, is AMR-WB, aka "HD Audio" supported for phone calls? Even though it has been co-developed by Nokia, the N9 didn't support it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience