Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Why would Intel or anyone else in US buy NOKIA? Makes absolute no sense. I can bet you that no one is buying Nokia and speculators already lost money as Nokia stock is back to its under 6 value. Stop wasting your arguments. Nokia will not be acquired
The basis of speculations involving Microsoft, Intel, et al have already been explained numerous times here and elsewhere. Many do indeed make good business sense. The inability of any person to recognize this changes nothing. It just tends to mean they are unfamiliar with or just unreceptive to dramatic changes going on. I shouldn't be surprised to see such kneejerk closed-mindedness but I guess I still am.

I am fully on board with people doubting or having differences of opinion. Not a problem there at all. My one sticking point has been that it's highly disingenous to make absolute statements about what "won't or can't happen"... especially by anyone outside the executive loops.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
only reason microsoft to buy nokia it's if elop and werger get fired.

to prevent nokia going for android, Meego or other OS. since wp7 huge failure. nokia will be forced to join make or join another ecosystem

while elop is CEO and werger is nokia USA head. microsoft practically owns the company without paying much.

now, elop it's making sure wp7 have no competition, so it doesnt happen. abortion of symbian phone n8 , meego n9.

but of course he is desilusional if he thinks nokia wp7 phone gotta sale, especially in the US.

now, if wp7 fails, nokia have to look to other ecosystem since they killed symbiam, retaking meego would be a huge effort,

nokia have now no intenal OS development team other than Meego, that many got fired. symbian is on accenture.
such move was suicidal, werger said something worrying, they said if wp7 isnt a success it doesn't really matter anything they do after that.

maybe nokia will keep pushing wp7 even if fails?

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The basis of speculations involving Microsoft, Intel, et al have already been explained numerous times here and elsewhere. Many do indeed make good business sense. The inability of any person to recognize this changes nothing. It just tends to mean they are unfamiliar with or just unreceptive to dramatic changes going on. I shouldn't be surprised to see such kneejerk closed-mindedness but I guess I still am.

I am fully on board with people doubting or having differences of opinion. Not a problem there at all. My one sticking point has been that it's highly disingenous to make absolute statements about what "won't or can't happen"... especially by anyone outside the executive loops.
Lol. Let's not get philosophical about absolutes. if anything my reasoning is in line what the companies are publicly saying. It's speculators like you that lead to stock price fluctuations.

Lol. Let's not get philosophical about absolutes. if anything my reasoning is in line what the companies are publicly saying. It's speculators like you that lead to stock price fluctuations.
And companies lie. As I noted before, I've witnessed it first-hand, when a former employer swore for a year they would not sell our division-- and when they finally confessed that they were, it emerged that they had been in talks with potential suitors for that entire year.

But I understand why. Large corporations have to be cagey about mergers and acquisitions. It's a tricky business. Even a "no comment" can be interpreted broadly.

So take every corporate denial with a big grain of salt. They might not be telling the truth. Doesn't mean Nokia or Microsoft or anyone else is definitely lying or misleading the public now-- just that it's possible.

And no, it isn't "speculators like me that lead to stock price fluctuations". You're thinking of influential speculators, especially those managing huge stock portfolios and dropping highly-charged rumors. I'm just a small time investor who holds a few shares of Nokia stock and has mixed feelings on any possible acquisition. My rational speculations impact nothing, just like your naive naysaying.

The stockholder in me would love to see Nokia bought, and soon... but I have more personal reasons to hope they aren't at all.

Still... saying "never" is silly. "LOL" all you like-- no sane person is so absolute about negatives.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
It's like when the team owner makes a 'statement of confidence' in his General Manager or coach. The GM or coach knows then he's toast.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Not in the US. Nokia is synonymous with penny phones in US
Fully disagree on the Atari part. But Nokia is known for cheap phones in the US outside of this group at TMO... no doubt.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
btw... it had to be said.

I've seen in this thread "cool aid" and "kool ade" and variations therein.

It's "Kool-Aid" ... thanks for triggering my OCD

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
btw... it had to be said.

I've seen in this thread "cool aid" and "kool ade" and variations therein.

It's "Kool-Aid" ... thanks for triggering my OCD
There's medications for that, too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
And companies lie. As I noted before, I've witnessed it first-hand, when a former employer swore for a year they would not sell our division-- and when they finally confessed that they were, it emerged that they had been in talks with potential suitors for that entire year.

But I understand why. Large corporations have to be cagey about mergers and acquisitions. It's a tricky business. Even a "no comment" can be interpreted broadly.

So take every corporate denial with a big grain of salt. They might not be telling the truth. Doesn't mean Nokia or Microsoft or anyone else is definitely lying or misleading the public now-- just that it's possible.

And no, it isn't "speculators like me that lead to stock price fluctuations". You're thinking of influential speculators, especially those managing huge stock portfolios and dropping highly-charged rumors. I'm just a small time investor who holds a few shares of Nokia stock and has mixed feelings on any possible acquisition. My rational speculations impact nothing, just like your naive naysaying.

The stockholder in me would love to see Nokia bought, and soon... but I have more personal reasons to hope they aren't at all.

Still... saying "never" is silly. "LOL" all you like-- no sane person is so absolute about negatives.
We agree that only time will tell. I will bet that no acquisition in the next year or so. NOKIA has no product line at the moment that can make a dent in the US. You are obsessed about absolutes.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Fully disagree on the Atari part. But Nokia is known for cheap phones in the US outside of this group at TMO... no doubt.
I only referred to Nokia.

Tags
gogle-mogle, google motorola, motogoogle, motogrogle, never say never