Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
It's funny how people are wildly dreaming about what could happen...
Instead of listening to how things have evolved in recent wks (i.e. how Jolla's described TOH in latest articles etc) & resetting their expectations.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Here's my concept of what "Other Half" should be / ideas:
- The phone's battery slides out from the top of the device, and secures nicely
- The phone has a small 200mAh non-removable internal battery used when changing batteries/Halves
- The phone's battery could be fused to OtherHalves to shave off thickness (where it makes sense)
- The backside of the phone has two oppositely placed areas for contact between the Half and the phone.
- "The Contact" should be a relatively flat, secure attachment, magnet aided, using USB interface.

Other Halves:
- Extended battery (1,800mAh, 2,500mAh)
- THICK Extended battery (3,500mAh+)

- Thin, light qwerty (azerty, etc etc and variants)
- Thick, heavier qwerty (includes an extended battery)
- Programmable Keyboard / one used for commands and coding

- Gamepad (Quad-Shoulder oads. Nub with three action buttons, mirror imaged for both thumbs)
- Gametroller (Contoured PS-style controller with slot for the phone)
- Touchscreen (No actual screen/images. On the back for some PS Vita / Motorola Backflip style use cases)
- Second Screen (Second Touchscreen useful for eBooks if low power).

- Tactical backplate (NFC, Infrared, etc etc)
- Metal Kickstand (which also acts and amplifies the strength of Cell-Radio Signals)
- Loud(er)speakers
- Camera blackplate (Slot for lens attachment. Friendly Two-Step Shutter button. Gripper)
- Additional storage (For media/files only... not for executable Apps)
- Dual SIM card attachment
- Pico Projector

- Backplates (with glowing lights a la Macbook Apple logo)
- Backplates (Colours. Limited Editions: Clear, Matte, Kevlar, CarbonFibre, Gel, Glow'Dark, EtchaSketch, Metallic, Gold, Swarovski etc etc)
- Wallet attached backplate
- Screen flap protector backplates
- Post it Note dispenser!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!

- Wearables (Wrist/gauntlet, Arm holders, Headband, Batman utility belt, Bum Bag, Bike Mount)

- Other accessories could be mobile/unattached (ie Bluetooth speakers)
- Or they can be connected via a case (eg Phone protector + Stylus holder)
- Or connected via the Headset jack*** / microUSB ports.

...the list is comprehensive! Can't think of anything else, if I do I'll add it here. I think my ideas are practical, and really bring out the best possibilities for the concept.

Physical Properties (most ideal):
- 5.2 inch screen slab,
- Shaved-bezels,
- A clean buttonless front.
- Both ports on the bottom side
- Only 4 physical buttons all located on the right side
.....something close to the resemblance of THIS old concept.

Symmetrical Design:
- Front stereo loudspeakers (switch L and R roles)
- Top/bottom symmetrical mics (switch between Master and Noise cancelling mic)
- Function physical buttons (Vol+/- Power Camera******) switch roles when orientation changes between 0/180'.
.......Turn the phone upside down and it works as normal !!!!

A User Interface / Experience:

Combining all these ideas (Phone Physical Properties, Symmetry, User Xperience, TheOtherHalf)... just imagine how revolutionary that would be!!

FEEDBACK ANYONE ?!?!

-----------------------------------------------------
*****Physical button may not be dedicated for Camera only, the user can select any Task to launch from it.

***Headset jack should be highest quality possible but with 2.5mm jack. Its a widely accepted standard, not as much as 3.5mm but they're compatible. It saves space in a compact device like phones. We should make the switch just like how miniUSB made the switch to microUSB. I dunno, just a rant.

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2013-07-29 at 01:02.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
I think that it's just a gimmick.
Anything thicker than few mm will obstruct view filed of the camera. And honestly, of all those ideas so far the only thing I find useful is a bigger battery but that also depends of the thicknes of the device as it is. HWK should be at least 6-7 mm thick to be comfortable to hold and what about the hole for the camera. Do we want a keyboard with a hole?
I don't expect anything from TOH and I realy don't care about it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
hell people in this thread will be soooo angry when realize theyr expections will be sooooo ruined when phone released...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
If it's got the batman belt I'm sold.

In yellow of course

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
I want a "post-it strip dispenser" other half! ...uh, you say it's unlike? exactly!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RX-51 For This Useful Post:
i am not massively bothered by "The Other Half" concept, but it is at least validated by the amount of effort Motorola went to to provide customisation for their new MotoX.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
...but it is at least validated by the amount of effort Motorola went to to provide customisation for their new MotoX.
Is it about real hw augmentation, or just superficial customisation?
Which we think is what Jolla's heading for, sadly, but -somewhat- understandably.

Although after watching this, it seems that real hw augmentation may still be on the agenda for the first Jolla Phone.
Tis just that Jolla won't be focusing on hw "Other Halves", they'll leave that to others. Watch from 11min 15sec onwards
:
http://kde-app.mirror.uber.com.au/ak...ilfish_OS.webm
So (frustratingly) confused now...*

*original source here....
http://files.kde.org/akademy/2013/videos/

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-08-02 at 15:26. Reason: added link

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Is it about real hw augmentation, or just superficial customisation?
Which we think is what Jolla's heading for, sadly, but -somewhat- understandably.

Although after watching this, it seems that real hw augmentation may still be on the agenda for the first Jolla Phone.
Tis just that Jolla won't be focusing on hw "Other Halves", they'll leave that to others.
Well, as was already reported here, CTO Mosconi said in a recent interview to Jolla Italia, talking about TOH that "In fact it will allow hardware upgrade without a need to purchase a new device."
Considering that Jolla has been quite vague about most of the specs, that's quite a bold statement, so I don't think TOH will be only good to make funky covers, but agree with what you say that they will just provide the capability and wait for 3rd parties to develop something with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Does a hardware upgrade TOH need to be electronic hardware? Why not something with physical function?

I'm thinking TOH could be one of those indexed pillboxes. Attach it and your phone knows to activate the meds-reminder app. This would be a killer combo for seniors.

For younger, ironic hipster-types: a cigarette case! Those haven't been popular in years. Or how 'bout a flask?

Lastly, for fans of cliche, the bulletproof other half. Because when you're carrying a smartphone, you don't need to carry a separate pocket watch or bible. You're gonna need something else to protect a small portion of your body from the projectile with your name on it.

Just some ideas for wider appeal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:

Tags
half-assed?, irfmtransceiver, jolla, the other half, voting for nemo