Notices

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dallas, TX
Originally Posted by zedsdead View Post
I'm having a problem with scummvm. i've had it installed for about a week and it was running great. i was playing day of the tentacle and it started to crash on the same part every time (getting laverne to escape from the cell) so i messed around with some of the graphic settings to see if that would fix the problem. now the app won't load, it will show a black screen with the loading circle on the top and after a few seconds it send me back to the n900 home screen. i tried unistalling and installing again, and then rebooting and the same thing keeps happening. anyone know what the problem could be?
Laverne escapes from her cell?!?! Well now you've gone and ruined the game! I've been waiting 17 years to play this game but why bother now?!

That's odd that it's messing up at that point. Do you know anybody else playing it on an N900 that the problem also occurs for them?

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
okei, more problem to me, i cant install extras and then the rooths, cause my internet connections doesn't work anymore... i just saved new settings, wich my operator send me... is there any program that you can use to install any linux-file without typing? And what are the file-types that maemo understands?

now i have finaly get installed extras and roots, butt still can't install scumm with x-terminal, i tryed install it in red pill style/mode, and i know this is not safe way,butt it didīt work that way either. says: some of the program pakages are missing: libflack8, libmad0(0.15.1b) and libvorbisidec1(1:1.2.0). So do i have to install these packages first, before i can install scummvm?

And X-Terminal gives me this line after i have typed sudo gainroot:

/home/user/ #

so witch of these is the right command

/home/user/ # dpkg -i /home/user/Nokia N900/scummvm.deb
/home/user/ # dpkg -i /home/user/scummvm.deb
/home/user/ # dpkg -i scummvm.deb

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Montpellier, France
So just add the extras-devel repository, add scummvm via the N900 app manager, and then disable the extras-devel.

Don't try to install in CLI a package that doesn't require extra modifications or special installation. Moreover it will left files in your filesystem that won't be deleted unless you clean them manually.

And for information, if a dpkg -i fails because of dependencies, try with a "apt-get -f install", it will solve the dependencies and install your package

okei, now i got finaly install scummvm, butt it didn't work long, now it doesn't start, just loads and closes... is there some specific setting that you have to put grapichs?

my bad, started after i boot up the phone.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Leeds, UK
ScummVM works like an absolute charm. Took me a bit to navigate to the game location from the main screen, as it was all directories im sure I dont have! But once found, its smooth, the audio is great, and the touch is very accurate.

The last scummvm version i used was on winmo, and was a bit sketchy, but this version is great.

Lovely!

Installed the version in extras-devel (scummvm 1.0.0-4), and am now happily playing day of the tentacle on my n900. No glitches so far.

I've run Day of the Tentacle now using /usr/games/scummvm in xterm and played it until it locked up. No error messages were returned, so no help there.

I'm using the game files from an original CD. I don't know if this is the same for the other users having problems.

I had a weird issue with Scummvm the other day. After shutting the app (I tried several games and ended playing Curse of the Monkey Island, I think) I put away my N900 for a few hours, I looked at the battery indicator (I'm kinda obsessive with the batt, whenever I'm near 25% I recharge) and it was almost full. After a few hours I took the N900 and was surprised to see that the battery was almost empty. Since I have the CPU load app, I noticed that the CPU bar was maxed out (although the device didn't lag and worked nicely) and memory usage was almost at max. Since I noticed that playing a Scummvm game seems to be battery intensive and since the CPU/mem load was high (although nothing was on, other than my standard Dataplan monitor widget and CPU load app - which I have for quite some time now and which didn't cause any big strain on the battery before), I concluded that something must've remained active after I shut the Scummvm down (note: I shut it down from within the game, by pressing ctrl+M and choosing the quit option, not from the launch menu quit option, don't know if it matters)

I restarted the N900 and the cpu/mem load was normal. Recharged the battery and this time it lasted ok. This didn't occur the next time I played a Scummvm game (although I did quit from the launch menu this time).

Any ideas what happened? I also have a weird feeling that after installing Scummvm the battery lasts shorter even without running Scumm, but I do believe that's just in my mind

BTW I want to add that I've tried Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, The Dig, Curse of the Monkey Island, Sam & Max HTR and Discworld 2 - all work fine (although I didn't finish either of them, but so far, they worked glitch free - apart from the abovementioned incident).