Active Topics

Well, I'm a bit shocked to see this project killed off so quickly like this.

Garage and maemo.org are developer sites, not user sites, and it would have been nice to see some site designed for end users carrying a download section.

The average end user who visits maemo.org will assume it's only for programmers and leave, because that's what it was mainly designed for.

No one seems to want to do tablet sites aimed at end users, sometimes it seems like the tablet world is just developers and hardcore users talking to each other.

Tableteer is maybe the closest to a genuine user site, but it only gets updated once in a blue moon and doesn't have much content. It's also inaccessible from a PC if you go through the front page.

Last edited by krisse; 2008-05-22 at 21:11.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Krisse, right now as it stands, the plan is to syndicate with maemo.org. The project is on the wiki. It should still work and I think it can still use the same system to re-list apps and probably add additional features later on.

I think the main confusion had something to do with the terms "uploading" and "re-listing". I really meant re-listing apps (with upload option) with developer involvement but it seems like the consensus is to re-list (with no upload option) without developer involvement whatsoever, except for the discussion thread that it will automatically create.

I'm talking directly to Quim and Jussi now and hopefully everything gets straitened out.

Title has been renamed to [RESTARTED].

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
That's what the syndication is for - you can make it as user friendly as you wish

Seems Reggie got there first.

Okay, great! :-)

As long as the apps are downloadable here and the data is accurate and easy to understand, then it doesn't really matter where the original data is from.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Reggie will be any features to allow uploads of stuff that really doesn't have a place on maemo.org like Custom Made Wall Paper Collection or others stuff or are we going to have to try and get maemo.org to make a section for stuff like that and it just be ported over here. Just wondering.

Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
Reggie will be any features to allow uploads of stuff that really doesn't have a place on maemo.org like Custom Made Wall Paper Collection or others stuff or are we going to have to try and get maemo.org to make a section for stuff like that and it just be ported over here. Just wondering.
We'll push for maemo.org to accommodate every possible type of upload that the IT community needs. I think they are willing to accommodate them.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Thats cool
BTW I have to use IE at work and to thank people now I have to click open link in new window/tab for some reason.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Responding to both posts...

I see no need to have things statically linked in order to be independently downloadable; links to where you can find those libraries (or, perhaps, mirroring the libraries) is much more sane.

But the whole point of repositories is so you don't have "dependency hell". If you have those problems, it's an issue of how the repositories are set up, how many of them there are, etc.; fixing that (by using maemo.org extras repo, mainly) is what GA, Tex, and others are advocating, and will avoid both "dependency hell" and every app having its own version of every (non-stock OS) library statically linked in.

FWIW, I don't often finding dependency hunting especially hellious when using a dependency-less packaging system (slackware fanboy here!); and it's not all that bad when using dpkg. But I recognize that there are indeed "many people", as you say, who would quit because they have no knowledge. That's why apt-get install $PACKAGE is supposed to just work.
I think the package manager GUI should 'just work' really. I tried to install the python editor and have now given up, as it seems to change its mind what it needs, and the instructions on the maemo python page don't work.
There are more pieces of software like this than on other platforms I have used, which considering how little software is available is a bit of a problem.
I agree, statically linking would make no differences if the repository thing worked well, but it really doesn't.

OK, so the package manager GUI should just work. <sigh /> It's the same thing; if apt-get doesn't warn, the app mugger will go through just fine. For some things that are warnings in apt-get, the app mugger will quit, to prevent screwing your system up even a little (and readily reversible) bit. But dependency issues are identical for both.

I recognize that the repos are broke; and having some working way of installing the software is good as a stop-gap until that's rectified. I just don't think statically linking is it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
[RESTARTED] + "maemo.org to accommodate every possible type of upload that the IT community needs."

Thanks from an end-user.