Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by lorul2 View Post
BTW: I wouldn't mind taking you up on your challenge,

A question/Poll to all of us at Maemo.org. Would you like to see more controlling Moderation of the site, or is it fine the way it is?

What do you think?
If you want usable results, please post an actual poll in the Community section. I think this little non sequiter has run its course here.

So... is MeeGo Dead for Nokia?

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
If you want usable results, please post an actual poll in the Community section. I think this little non sequiter has run its course here.

So... is MeeGo Dead for Nokia?
No......

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by lorul2 View Post
No......
I disagree.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
The real question isn't to know if MeeGo is Dead for Nokia. But if Nokia is Dead For MeeGo.

MeeGo will survive with other manufacturer ... Nokia probably not with MS.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
wtf is it with ppl crying about "ecosystem" = "vendor lock in".....

here is a hint - vendor lock in makes the vendors money...

and what is the aim of a company ?

... and what you expect these entities to be charities ?

At the end of the day - SOMEONE has to pay to build this stuff - and unless YOU are paying it - you have no right to criticize corporate strategy when the chosen strategy is one that is inline with the corporation's goal.

If you are unhappy, buy a dumb phone that has no ecosystem, or build and sell your own Meego phone.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Nope, it's not dead. In fact, even Symbian's not dead. It will bring updates and such for the next two years or so.

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post

At the end of the day - SOMEONE has to pay to build this stuff - and unless YOU are paying it - you have no right to criticize corporate strategy when the chosen strategy is one that is inline with the corporation's goal.

If you are unhappy, buy a dumb phone that has no ecosystem, or build and sell your own Meego phone.
Too much asking for some upstream GNU/Linux distro to integrate many of the MeeGo components and library and some company release a SoC complete with drivers?
I will be fine with an Arch For Smartphone or a Debian Mobile. No need of such things as markets or ecosystem. I have a huge repository and i'm fine with it.

Speaking about the drivers: supposing some device in the future sports a Mali 400 GPU (like some rumors about the mythic N9), this link will be somewhat useful in a MeeGo-Related fashion?

The Following User Says Thank You to Donbabbeo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post

As a paying customer, I am paying for it. It is not the duty of paying customers to concern ourselves with what is best for giant corporations. We don't like vendor lock-in because it is bad for consumers in the long run. Nobody is doubting the benefits for the vendor. It just might be that the interests of the vendor and those of the consumer are not perfectly aligned.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Still no MeeGo for n900 users then?
There's a surprise.
Still people saying it's coming?
There's a surprise.
Oh, what about "it's only for developers"?
That's a good one.

Any sign of this new Nokia mobile keyboard-free device running some sort of Franken-Maemo/MeeGo-stein UX yet?

Just installed MeeGo 1.2 on VirtualBox - it runs slower than Debian, Mint, Fedora, XP or Windows 7 running at the same spec. Tried doing the hack for graphics - originally for 1.0 and adapted for 1.1. Doesn't seem to work on 1.2.

But, I am sure I am wrong for saying this.

I see nothing has changed since I was last here. I was given a second-hand e71, I find it quite useful.

I am sure somebody here recommended VirtualBox to me - I would like to thank them, as it is great. I can get rid of those aging dual-boot PC's, and run stuff on the laptop instead (although I will need to keep the one that still has a serial port and XP which is indispensible for firmware updates to celestron & skywatcher telescope mounts)...
Maemo 5, Windows 7 (for MCE, MS.Word+Endnote), Debian, Ubuntu, trying to get LibreOffice Writer+Bibus working properly with EndNote bibliography, given up trying to get MythTV working with AverMedia Galaxy DVB-S USB tuner. Linux & astronomy: http://mishastro.wikispaces.com/

Tags
bada blows, buysomethinelse, erics the idiot, goodbye nokia, nok+ms rox more, nokia's dead, oh so dead, so dead