Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by gianni_mar View Post
tomorrow when you get the 1.2 firmware, you will have flash 10.1
also...its not fools day yet

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
yea what the heck, man...

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
I thought this was funny....

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
I am really surprise of you guys here! Information is floating everywhere, the point is to get it out from the rubbish around .

Did you hear about Open Screen Project?

http://www.openscreenproject.org/

Led by Adobe and one of the KEY partner of this is Nokia, just click on the partners section to see how big this project is.

Take a look closer here

http://www.openscreenproject.org/dev...t_started.html

Look at the bottom of the page.

Are you still going to speculate is Flash 10.1 will be available on your n900? don't worry, will be for sure and even if not directly from Nokia you can go to Adobe.com and download as normal people always do.

Can't you see how big potential this project has?
If Flash web based/ desktop based (Adobe AIR) applications going to be usefull on this device and many others can't you see that number of already existing applications no really matter? How quickly you can develop some simple good looking and useful application in Flash?

Have a look:

www.flashonmobile.co.uk

I'm a flash developer interested in flash on mobile devices and already running this project. It took me 3 days to get this working on my n900 and this is still Flash 9! Proof of concept only, that flash can be useful. This stuff is not even optimized properly yet. With Flash 10.1 this kind of things can run video steaming, feed content from may web services, can be fully customizable etc. There is a tones of possibilities and the most important thing:Thousands of hundreds developers in Flash community able to get the same number of application very quickly working. That's the deal. No one will tell us that iPhone or Android has more content available. No offense to any platform. My point is when you have wider selection of apps you can for sure find something interesting for yourself.

Flash and Maemo developers should join forces. Stop anti-flash propaganda because most of bullshits came from past 6 years and fully GPU Flash Player is going to kill the last .

By the way, I'll be very happy to hear your feedback regarding to this.

Edit: As far as I remember no one mentioned about Q1 2010 and I'm following this subject from very beginning. Adobe on labs has announced 1st HALF of 2010, so... 3 months left in the worst case scenario.

Enjoy your n900!
Dan

Last edited by devu; 2010-04-03 at 19:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devu For This Useful Post:
I appreciate hearing out OpenScreenProject, and maybe it will have promise for cross-platform mobile friendly development. The site is flashy, and your Flaemo site is neat as well.

However, I must say I can't get exited about it.

I am an N810 owner. I bought a device that supported Flash (9). Now I'm being told that I won't get Flash 10 b/c the device's processor can't handle it. Meanwhile, site after site has been disallowing Flash 9. Great. Even when I have been able to access Flash video, it has often been frustratingly slow on my device. Flash games are frequently too slow even on low quality mode and the controls are frequently not well suited for touchscreen devices (e.g., keyboard controls in an awkward position, requires mouse hovering).

OK, so maybe I have a device that's too slow. Maybe things are better for the N900, at least on the performance front. And maybe the open screen project will help with the "touchscreen-friendly" part. But N900 owners have been experiencing the same thing of getting locked out of Flash-enabled sites while waiting for the ARM version, as you can see from this thread.

All of this rather sours one's perspective.

The Following User Says Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
I appreciate hearing out OpenScreenProject, and maybe it will have promise for cross-platform mobile friendly development. The site is flashy, and your Flaemo site is neat as well.

However, I must say I can't get exited about it.

I am an N810 owner. I bought a device that supported Flash (9). Now I'm being told that I won't get Flash 10 b/c the device's processor can't handle it. Meanwhile, site after site has been disallowing Flash 9. Great. Even when I have been able to access Flash video, it has often been frustratingly slow on my device. Flash games are frequently too slow even on low quality mode and the controls are frequently not well suited for touchscreen devices (e.g., keyboard controls in an awkward position, requires mouse hovering).

OK, so maybe I have a device that's too slow. Maybe things are better for the N900, at least on the performance front. And maybe the open screen project will help with the "touchscreen-friendly" part. But N900 owners have been experiencing the same thing of getting locked out of Flash-enabled sites while waiting for the ARM version, as you can see from this thread.

All of this rather sours one's perspective.
Understandably.

To put it in a nutshell, Flash is Adobe's cash cow and they've built up enough dependent users and developers that they can dictate the terms. The most direct analogy is the crack dealer who gives out free samples and high payouts to the street dealers, and then tightens the noose when everyone is hooked.

The only real solution is to stop handing them power by not using flash for the many things it shouldn't be used for (and yes, you can apply the crack analogy again to see how many things it shouldn't be used for...anything but reckless and pointless blinginess).

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
One thing I have always liked about the web is that almost any computer regardless of it's spec can join in the fun.

You can still browse the web using a text-based browser because the requirements are so low.

All the protocols on the Internet are open and patent-free, nobody can claim ownership.

The problems with Flash is that it is still a proprietory plugiin, closed-source and restrictive licensing.

Until this changes completely then I would rather avoid flash.

Even Microsoft's Silverlight is more open than Adobe's flash plugin.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Does this mean that it is possible for companies or developers to distribute Flash Player within their product offerings?
Adobe has removed the restrictions on the SWF and FLV/F4V specifications, not on Flash Player itself. Future versions starting with the next major versions of Flash Player and AIR for devices are royalty free as part of the Open Screen Project. However, a license (contract) still needs to be in place between Adobe and the licensee.
Personally I think Adobe are worried about HTML 5 and Silverlight.

These days Flash is mostly used as an online video player - HTML 5 basically makes the Flash player redundant.

Silverlight is Microsoft's answer to Flash and is more open too.
Moonlight is the open-source equivalent of Silverlight and is running on Linux.

Even if Flash does become more open as with Moonlight, then alternate implementations will always lag behind.
Also the possibility of "Embrace, Extend & Extinguish" rears it's ugly head again.

The Internet and specifically the world-wide web must be built on truly open standards - it's one of the reasons why the Internet is so popular - No single entity can control it.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Personally I think Adobe are worried about HTML 5 and Silverlight.
I disagree, google up some comparisons in many areas not only video Flash in RIA still is the winner.

These days Flash is mostly used as an online video player - HTML 5 basically makes the Flash player redundant.
This is a big deal but not only one. Check the 3 videos on my website , just slide screen to the right

Silverlight is Microsoft's answer to Flash and is more open too.
Moonlight is the open-source equivalent of Silverlight and is running on Linux.
Flash as Action Script is open from hmm.. 4 years?
Personally I am using Open source Flex SDK and FlashDevelop. As assets using swc libraries. I completely forgotten how Flash IDE interface looks like.

Even if Flash does become more open as with Moonlight, then alternate implementations will always lag behind.
Also the possibility of "Embrace, Extend & Extinguish" rears it's ugly head again.
GPU acceleration will make AS3 language the fastest language of the web. It;s shame tat so many ppl still believe in urban legends.
The fact is 70% of tasks are related with visual objects rendered by processor, 20% business logic, 10% listeners. That how at the moment looks power distribution if you need to develop something in flash. Think about it what happens if I can get those 70% extra

The Internet and specifically the world-wide web must be built on truly open standards - it's one of the reasons why the Internet is so popular - No single entity can control it.
I agree, and no matter how corporations will try shout our mouths up, there are always kitchen doors to freedom Technology is in our hands. The most important thing is to be OPEN itself. See possibilities and dangers. The way how Apple for example behave on the mobile market looks for me like flash back from 1983 when Microsoft destroyed couple of good inventions because of that.

Now it's big war going on between Apple and Flash. They banned even Flash-to-iPhone compilers. (Flash guys founded the way around how to develop some app on IShit )

For me Flash is only way to stop their practices. Silverligt will die as soon as many developers supporting this technology. In this case I am strongly disagree Silverlight is open. All part of the technology are base on Microsoft solutions. Even instead using XML they have UML or something. don't tell me it's fair game. .NET behind ehh..

Anyway... I am flash developer but I am not blind. I'm happy with Flash Platform as long as Adobe will not be like M$ or Apple. And as long as we have competition on the market is good for all of us.. customers, at least. so.. keep them all alive

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
To put it in a nutshell, Flash is Adobe's cash cow and they've built up enough dependent users and developers that they can dictate the terms. The most direct analogy is the crack dealer who gives out free samples and high payouts to the street dealers, and then tightens the noose when everyone is hooked.
... except in this case you don't have to pay a single cent to the crack dealer to continue enjoying your 'addiction', and the chemical formula of the drug is free and publicly available, even the process of creating it is mostly well documented, so if you wish you can cook it by yourself... And, as much as I don't like the idea of a single dealer behind the whole drug production, in many cases it's less of a health risk than puffing the street crack cooked in some dirty bathtub that in dependence of your metabolism may wreck a havoc to your system, or work way slower than you'd like, or may not work at all... Of course, just like with any other drug, it shouldn't be abused... That's as far as analogies go...

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
The problems with Flash is that it is still a proprietory plugiin, closed-source and restrictive licensing.
The problem with Flash, in this case, is that you don't have a faintest idea of what you are talking about, yet you try to bash it based on FUD that's been steadily and mainly spread by Apple fanbois since the iPhone (and rest of the iDon'tCare technologies) was announced to have no Flash plugin. Sour grapes in a nutshell. What's even funnier is that people obsessed with the most draconian company in the history of computing, when it comes to licensing and control, start complaining that other technologies are not as open as they'd like. So, let me correct that one for you:

1) The SWF file format has been open since the 2000 (I wrote a .swf compiler in 2000), or maybe even before that as I can't remember correctly when was the switch from the old FutureSplash format into a new Flash, SWF based format. You can read the most recent format specs @ http://www.adobe.com/devnet/swf/pdf/...t_spec_v10.pdf

2) Flash Player was closed source and under restrictive licensing until Adobe acquired Macromedia, at least for regular people - companies could purchase the source (for $10k IRRC) under restrictive licensing if they wanted to adapt the Flash Player to their platform. Even in those days were some 3rd party Flash Player completely independent of Macromedia but they were nowhere near feature-complete or widely spread as Macromedia's solution.

Flash Player today is mainly open-source, sans the codecs (MP3, On2 VP6, H.264...) and several other technologies that are not owned by Adobe but are licensed from 3rd parties, and thus Adobe cannot open them. That's the same reason why you cannot consider Google Chrome an open-source browser - yes it's based on the open-source Chromium (and by that chain on WebKit) but you can't get the licensed H.264 decoder and several other things (hardware video acceleration based on closed-source drivers from the manufacturers for example). About 80% of today's Flash Player is its ActionScript Virtual Machine 2 (AVM2) which was completely open almost from the day one, and publicly available via the project Tamarin. The rest of the specific implementations (i.e. PixelBender) can be acquired via the Adobe Open Source and Adobe Labs.

3) The Flash compiler used by Adobe IDEs (Flash/Flex Builder and Flash CS*) is also free and open-source and is called Flex SDK. Apart from the compilers and other tools, it includes the complete Flex Framework (components, skins, additional builders, etc.) as well, needed for easy and hassle-free fast deployment of RIAs and AIR applications.

4) There is not a single line in EULA/TOA/TOS of free Adobe tools and technologies that even vaguely restricts you to do whatever you want with their sources and tools. As long as you are not selling them, of course.

5) Adobe went even a step further opening all the proprietary protocols as well - namely RTMP that was the thing selling their Adobe Media Server - and that had to be previously hacked by reverse engineering to get a free Flash streaming via the quite popular OS media server - Red5.

6) Flash as a technology/platform is as open as Sun's Java is. And in some extent even more (at least they give you the source used in their own VM and completely open-source compilers, not just the documentation and format specification).

7) .NET, and thus inherently the Silverlight platform, is closed-source in all aspects except the format specs, which allowed enthusiasts to develop Moonlight based on that. That's the same situation Flash was in about 4 years ago, before the move to AVM2 and Flex SDK (Flash 8 and earlier versions), where there were at least two quite successful projects based solely on the format specifications - MTASC compiler and the haXe platform. There are tons of other OS projects based on the SWF/FLV/F4V formats and technologies that you can check at Open Source Flash portal. Since Adobe opened most of the Flash platform, hundreds of new projects arrived.

It doesn't hurt to know a thing or two behind a technology you wish to make bold claims against...

Last edited by zwer; 2010-04-18 at 09:56.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update