Linky

Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
HOT FROM THE PRESS!

Chuck Norris hired as NOKIA's new CEO:
Linky
Was that his campaign song??? Young little Chuckie

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
You forgot about your allergy........SYMBIAN.
Symbian is a non-factor in the North American market. Symbian isn't a factor in Japan either.

So unless you were to add a qualifier of Europe or Asia to your sentence, to us North Americans, Symbian doesn't even register as an option. Nokia has been long relegated to cheap candy bar or flip phones. And even those really don't sell... they're given away and still count for less than a small percentage of the phones in the US.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Symbian is a non-factor in the North American market. Symbian isn't a factor in Japan either.

So unless you were to add a qualifier of Europe or Asia to your sentence, to us North Americans, Symbian doesn't even register as an option. Nokia has been long relegated to cheap candy bar or flip phones. And even those really don't sell... they're given away and still count for less than a small percentage of the phones in the US.
Actually, Nokia phones are quickly dropping marketshare in Asia too... so that doesn't even favor Symbian (or anything from Nokia at all) at this point. Here, in the USA, Nokia is usually found in those cheap pay-as-you-go throw-away phone packages. I haven't seen a NOKIA phone being sold as a serious, high-quality, compelling phone in years.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Here in Scandinavia, Nokia used to be wide spread. Phones like the N95 and others have been popular amongst my coworkers. Phones like the N97 and N8 have ended people's relationship with Nokia.

Samsung is the new standard.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

I am aware of that. My response was meant for his hatred towards Symbian, and yet he didn't have any proper experience on it. Just to be clear

I agree with both parties (gerbick/ramos vs bigbadgruber) on many points.
On BBG's side I agree that...
This is the first time in ages that I've seen Nokia actually DO something than just watch everyone fly past them

That symbian was suffering...way before Elop arrived, Nokia's pride and complacency to blame. Shoddy hardware, very slow software production. Remember the n97 :'(

That WP7 is not a bad strategy per se

gerbick/ramos side...
Elop's mouth and fingers are too big. Microsoft strategy became bad when Elop opened his big fat mouth and typed his big stupid public memo essentially killing any symbian credibility it had left. Had he not chastise symbian and just INTRODUCE a WP7 strategy alongside what existed, Nokia interest would not have plummeted the way it did.
That's not something a sensible CEO does, Symbian IS the BLOOD of Nokia, you can't prematurely drain your blood, when your new donor hasn't even reached yet.

We have no idea what the microsoft strategy will garner for Nokia, but we do know the facts. And that fact is, Nokia plummeted severely when Elop talked about burning platforms. Chances are it would've anyway if Nokia continued on the path they were going...but doubtful that it would've been this drastic.

As for me personally. I'm not a fanboy of any particular platform (i do favor FOSS though and Nokia hardware). If an OS suits my needs I'm good. I understand there are many microsoft haters here, that's cool, there are many many reasons to hate them. I'm glad there are so many CHOICES now. There is no need to chastise a particular platform as everyone has different needs. WP7, android, Blackberry OS 7, iOS and Symbian belle are all good IMO, all with strengths and weanesses depending on what u fancy. However we can only wait and see what happens with NOKIA. I intend to get WP7 cuz well it's cheap as hell, and very functional from my experience with it, free Office, and stellar email and exchange support among other tidbits? thank you kindly.

The power users who are Nokia lovers that reside here, well you guys are kinda screwed and you all have a right to hate Elop for it meego/harmattan didn't need to go down like that, WP7 or not. Keep in mind though, from what i see on blogs etc, a lot of people are simply waiting for Nokia to get WP7 on it, sad but true. You all are in the minority, the niche, you won't be catered for regrettably The only hope and it's a big one, is that they Nokia would do both WP7 and Meego in parallel. I'm so wishing that they would, Nokia would kill everyone if they did.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
I am aware of that. My response was meant for his hatred towards Symbian, and yet he didn't have any proper experience on it. Just to be clear
I see that you got spanked for you inaccurate comments above. I do not hate Symbian. Symbian was a king that got overrun and overtaken by Android and iOS. Compared to those two, Symbian is buggy, and not user friendly. The whole world is voting on it by bying Androids and iphones. I loved my E71 for the built, but its mail for exchange could not compete with BB or iphone. Simple things, like the font, were too small for average user, and you had to download psiloc magnifier to read without going blind. Small thing like these is what turned off the consumers.

Elop may have been too loud with his announcement. However, I think he was trying to define a vision for the company and employees. The changes are painful, but without it NOKIA has no chance

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Elop may have been too loud with his announcement. However, I think he was trying to define a vision for the company and employees. The changes are painful, but without it NOKIA has no chance
What employees? You mean the DROVES of them that no longer work there, to be replaced by outsourcing and Microsoft development? :P I'm sure that also garnered a TON of goodwill and couldn't have POSSIBLY tarnished the brand even at home, right? I'm not so optimistic about their chances... on soooo many levels.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm not so optimistic about their chances... on soooo many levels.
Really?! I couldn't tell hehe

Tags
bada rox, bigbadtroll!, ceo firing, fooled again, pissing contest