Active Topics

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
Meego just doesn't exist, so it is a drawing board OS that is easy to get rid of now, whereas supporting it if phones were using it takes resources, so it makes sense to jump ship.
Let me just point out that Maemo exists, it works right now, they were happy to dump that off. Why not jump back to a ship that already floats? :-) The geek in me would love an enhanced Maemo or the much better MeeGo. Doesn't matter, both are good.

When you look at MeeGo from a normal human perspective, the user interface that is, it seems to me it's a childlike cross between Android and iOS instead of anything unique and interesting. Cartoon characters? - really, we moved past that in 80's. People want glitzy transitions, a nice 3D beveled interface, and real time interaction - meaning you touch the screen and something happens instantly.

Your average human also wants tons of near identical pointless applications to choose from - all of these must live in a store that utterly fails to categorize anything correctly, this store must also excel at making your searches present you with the opposite of what you actually want - but you wont notice because it shows you a bunch of new shiny stuff, distractions. As a normal human you don't really know what you want anyway, and your attention span is microscopic in length :-)

Android, anyone that likes the N900 will not be happy with a migration in that direction. It's clunky, not very intuitive, and the UI just gets in your way and slows you down.

WM7? I don't know, haven't used it, but I believe slashdot posted a story yesterday or the day before to say Microsoft would open it up to be more geek friendly.

Ultimately it's safe to say that Nokia are being monumentally stupid with their decision making process right now - give it six months they might decide to go with Android after all :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
So long as people are blaming Elop as the source of the problem, then they will be missing the bigger issue.

He is a black sheep.

A logical red herring to stop your thoughts from tracing the true issue.
Seems to me most people on here (not all thankfully) believe what they read !!.

You lot need to get much more realistic and see everything for what is is based on past history and stop jumping to conclusions like... oh we have a new wizz at the helm of Nokia.

Something very wrong about all of this and it will only take time to find out just what will happen.... till then WAIT.

Ok, I haven't done very deep research about MeeGo development. But from what I've seen, a consumer handset release in 2011 pretty much needs to be based on the upcoming 1.2 branch (due in April. Since the development cycle is 6 months, a handset based on 1.3 would have made it "a 2012 event".)

So I have 2 basic questions, that I hope some of the more directly involved people might be able to answer.

1. Was 1.2 (including the seemingly top-secret Nokia handset UX) on track to be production-ready on time?
2. Is the overall user experience of 1.2+handset UX in its current state competitive with iOS 4 or Android 2.x?

The Following User Says Thank You to pxa270 For This Useful Post:
Whenever you post, all i see is:

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by sygys View Post
I said meego would suck as from day one. but no one would listen. it looks like a childish learn platform with these rediculous puppets as logo. its insane! its a good thing nokia didn't put that garbage on all their "high end phones"
You have assessed the whole platform, based purely on the reference (read: vendor-neutral, test) theme? *That* seems childish.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
The source as in Micro($)oft
The source as in:

WTF happened between Nokia's golden years and now?

It's certainly isn't MS (nor Google, Apple, etc).

IE:

You're fat, broke and ignorant... and for some reason your sexy wife ran off with a young dashing rich dude.

What's the true source of the problem?

(Then again, due to the ignorance level this may not pose a problem to the subject.).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
I read somewhere recently that Nokia had 10 guys working on meego...Elop could have hired 10 x the developers....sounds more like a msft flunky is invading it's competition and then letting it die.

Anyone who can't put 2 and 2 on this one must have fallen off the fruit truck comming into town.
Some people truly believe everything they read. Nokia had on Friday 130 jobs open from this month alone for MeeGo.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Nokia had on Friday 130 jobs open from this month alone for MeeGo.
Interesting, jobs.nokia.com (US-only, I think) shows 20 and nokia.taleo.net (global) 71 when searching for "meego" today.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pxa270 View Post
1. Was 1.2 (including the seemingly top-secret Nokia handset UX) on track to be production-ready on time?
Considering they were demoing a unit to carriers and got rejected on the hinge I suspect that it was ready. Of course, we don't know about the finer details so this segues into your second question:

2. Is the overall user experience of 1.2+handset UX in its current state competitive with iOS 4 or Android 2.x?
We don't know, because it's entirely hidden within Nokia. And that has absolutely nothing to do with MeeGo, despite the entirety of this thread.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
Nokia was building on top of the Linux kernel, GNU libs, and QT. All of the heavy lifting was done for them. They only needed to release a solid basic OS. I think that this is exactly what it looks like, a former MS exec whose intentions had always been to bring Microsoft in regardless of Nokia's best interests. Nokia could have partnered with Google, reskinned Android and used OVI services instead of Google services and they'd have their stopgap platform. They'd still have OVI store revenue, and most people probably wouldn't even know it was an Android device. Tablets would be covered, and with steady revenue and possibly even some growth, development could have continued on Meego/QT without the pressure of pushing it out prematurely, offering both short and long term solutions. Investors would have been satisfied, and business would've moved on. I don't think the problem was Meego, there was a lot of enthusiasm over it and they had a prominent partner in Intel. The unpleasant truth is that the Nokia board made a very unwise choice in Elop and should have seen this coming.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chowdahhead For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, meego rip