Notices

Originally Posted by elpaso
mplayer 'mms://media.fastweb.it/WM9/raiclick/FMVRAI04000001062556.wmv?idCnt=35094&path=RaiClick Web^Home^Fiction^Poliziesco^IL+COMMISSARIO+MONTALB ANO#1'
Mplayer doesn't support WMV9, it can play up to v8.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
I tried opening a .rm file (a Family Guy episode) but only could hear the sound.

I know that playing Real files on a PC needs some particular codecs; is there anything similar for mplayer on 770?
I tried with the standard player but, guess what? I get "Resolution not supported"

Originally Posted by maba
Ok, so I'm now announcing MPGUI, a simple GUI frontend for MPlayer.

Read more about it here.

This of course requires you to have MPlayer installed (via the application manager).

Let me know if it works for you.

Also, Serge, I would be happy to contribute the source code of this program for inclusion in your project. Please contact me if you find this interesting.
Great work! Thank you.
It would be nice to look at the sources. We had discussion with Sergei about GUI concept recently and his opinion was that we need exactly what you've done - simple graphical file/stream chooser.
So, if you send us sources I'd try to integrate MPGUI into mplayer.
Just in case you've already done some work on this direction don't hesitate to send us (me or Sergey) patches.

Thank you.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by =DC=
Wow, that was quick. Awesome! Thanks Mauricio.
I second that, program is simple to use and operates from locally Stored/Filed and/or Streamed Media URL's.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Los Angeles
What media encoder settings are you guys using to encode video? I'm using the max video resolution and highest bit rate sound and I'm getting video that plays between 1 and 3 seconds out of sync with the sound track. Looking at the cpus usage it's near max.

Hi People,
I'm new to Linux, so please be kind if I ask totally noobish questions.

I'm trying to install StreamTuner on my 770 and it says I need to install Mplayer. I duly downloaded Mplayer and tried to install it - however, I recieve an error message that says:

Packages missing:
libncurses5 (>=5.4-1)

I believe I have the 2006 OS.

WHat does it mean? how do I get past it?
I tried "Auto-update" but it didn't find anything.

Please advise, thanks.

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by TB303
I'm trying to install StreamTuner on my 770 and it says I need to install Mplayer. I duly downloaded Mplayer and tried to install it - however, I recieve an error message that says:

Packages missing:
libncurses5 (>=5.4-1)

I believe I have the 2006 OS.
Please check exact version number of your OS to be sure (go to launch menu, select "tools" -> "control panel" -> "device" -> "about product"). For IT OS 2006 it should be '1.2006.26-8'. From a package reference list seems like libncurses should be preinstalled. Unless you managed to uninstall it or cripple in some other way, it should be available

Originally Posted by Tweak
What media encoder settings are you guys using to encode video? I'm using the max video resolution and highest bit rate sound and I'm getting video that plays between 1 and 3 seconds out of sync with the sound track. Looking at the cpus usage it's near max.
I believe it was explained many times in this thread already But you should use 320x240 (4:3), 400x224 (16:9) or 400x240 (15:9) video resolution for best playback. Bitrate should not exceed 400 with video codec mpeg4. It should play fine (with some frame dropped on scenes with lots of motion and panning, but that's not a big deal). Audio should be encoded to MP3, bitrate does not matter much here as it is decoded by DSP anyway. You can also try this encoder with 'mplayer' preset: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...6&postcount=99

Originally Posted by faber
Mplayer doesn't support WMV9, it can play up to v8.
The latest development version of mplayer from SVN already has native WMV9 support. Once they make the next public release, it can be packaged for Nokia 770.

Originally Posted by maxilogan
I tried opening a .rm file (a Family Guy episode) but only could hear the sound.

I know that playing Real files on a PC needs some particular codecs; is there anything similar for mplayer on 770?
I tried with the standard player but, guess what? I get "Resolution not supported"
It is unlikely for mplayer to support real files on Nokia 770. On PC mplayer is able to use closed source binary codec which is compiled for x86, it just will not work on arm.

I guess, information in .deb file description is somewhat misleading, does not quite apply to maemo port and should be edited (at least parts about win32 dll's and 3dfx).

Also unfortunately MPlayer on Nokia 770 has problems with AAC and AC3 audio (they are either buggy or unusable because of floating point math being too slow). We need to either find and use integer only decoders for them or use DSP based gstreamer decoder for AAC.

Originally Posted by maba
Ok, so I'm now announcing MPGUI, a simple GUI frontend for MPlayer.

Read more about it here.

This of course requires you to have MPlayer installed (via the application manager).

Let me know if it works for you.

Also, Serge, I would be happy to contribute the source code of this program for inclusion in your project. Please contact me if you find this interesting.
Sure it is interesting. As Eduard said already, we can integrate this GUI in MPlayer package. To do this we need the sources of it. A preferred form (but not strictly required) is a patch against maemo mplayer SVN. You also can use garage trackers to submit your code.

Unfortunately I could not try this gui (your web page seems to be down at the moment), but considering other's comments, it can't be bad

It is good to see many people consolidating efforts in improving mplayer and video support for Nokia 770. Availablility of GUI will also give us a way to proper credit all the maemo port contributors (it can have a special tab for this). As for other GUI related things, it would be a good idea to be able to edit some configuration options (and save them to '/home/user/.mplayer/config'), some of the settings that I need to have configurable are subtitles code page and language for example.

Keep up the good work.