Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by brendan View Post
i was in Jersey City, and as it winds up, you cant take (any where near) the same route, out of the city, and you did in. could the option to download a return route be added to MM?

i am thinking that this would be a seperate route, saved to /media/mmc1/maps or some such folder, so that you could follow the route to the destination, with out getting confused about which way you are going. once you are leaving the destination, you could load the return route and find your way home.
Downloading multiple routes (so long as you don't enable the "From Current GPS Location" checkbox) appends to the existing route, so one option is just to download both routes sequentially. Maemo Mapper will lead you first through your original route, then through your return route.

Or, you can download the original route, save it to file, clear the route, download the return route, and save that to file, too.

Originally Posted by brendan View Post
the other request may have been touched on before, but i am not sure. is it possible to add the option to download maps along a track, with a configurable number of tiles? this would copy the functionality in the Manage Maps dialog screen, but allow for tracks as well as routes.
Tracks and routes are the same format, so save your track to a file, then open it as a route, then use Manage Maps to download along the route.

Sorry it's not easier, but those are at least workarounds that you can use.

I'm not sure if it has been implemented, but a indication of "distance to destination" would be nice. I guess I'm not that good at scaling distance in my head at the various zoom levels.

Could it be based on actual travel distance not geographical distance?

Hi,

I'm trying to compile and run Maemo Mapper 1.3.4 in the SDK, but i've yet to find any repository that contains i386 version or sources for the sqlite0. Where can I find it? I've also tried porting ubuntu version, but it contains too many nasty dependecies, so I would really prefer the finished version

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
It looks like it is in the maemo 2.1 repository

http://repository.maemo.org/stable/2...ages--2.1.html

Fred

For those of you following this thread, I released Maemo Mapper v1.3.5 with support for Virtual Earth (thank you, Albertas Agejevas). I created a new thread with the details. The hybrid maps actually look pretty good, although (in my opinion) the satellite data is not as good as Google's.

Oh, and lmf, I added the ability to specify your own directions server. Enjoy!

I've been lurking here for a while and have run several searches trying to find out how to import and utilize a map without any type of cellular or network connection. I have Google Earth installed on my PC and can migrate a .jpg of a city map onto the mmc card, but am unable to utilize the map. I have a 770 and 1.3.4 of Maemo Mapper installed. I'm using a PalmOne Bluetooth GPS receiver which seems to work well.

Thanks for creating such a great application. The data screen alone is enough for me, but it would be fun to have the mapping enabled.

diirk

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Seattleish, WA
A bit off topic, but here's a head's up on what looks like a great deal on a Bluetooth GPS receiver:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?p=32498

Originally Posted by diirk View Post
I've been lurking here for a while and have run several searches trying to find out how to import and utilize a map without any type of cellular or network connection. I have Google Earth installed on my PC and can migrate a .jpg of a city map onto the mmc card, but am unable to utilize the map. I have a 770 and 1.3.4 of Maemo Mapper installed. I'm using a PalmOne Bluetooth GPS receiver which seems to work well.
Well, you can't just import jpeg's directly into Maemo Mapper's repository. They must be downloaded from somewhere and placed in the correct directory structure, and although the easiest way to download it is directly in Maemo Mapper itself, you can also use winmapper (which understands Maemo Mapper's directory structure) to download maps to your PC and then transfer the maps over to your memory card.

This is different from, say, GpsDrive, where you would have to collect all your JPEGs yourself and generate some complicated map_coord.txt file. Maemo Mapper uses a specific directory hierarchy (instead of a coordinates text file) to locate maps, which must already be in the right format (resolution, zoom, geolocation, etc.).

Fair enough. Is there an example post of the proper directory structure? or should I install winmapper?

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
Sorry to keep repeating myself, but I keep hoping Ioan (winmapper author) will notice that his app is no longer compatible with Google street maps, as mentioned in a few ongoing threads. Google topo still works, but I imagine that's the less popular of the two options.

I'm willing to take a stab at modding the program myself (updating to reflect current MM code), but so far the Borland Delphi trial packages and their prereqs have not been playing nicely with my WinXP dev box....