Notices

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Depending on the upstream source, it may not be possible to make all the different localized "up" and "down" keys act as they should without rewriting a lot of code. Fortunately, most emulators let you redefine all the controls. This is a Nokia design problem; we can hope they have enough sense to put four rows on the next thumbboard device so that everyone can have up and down arrows.

The problem is that the processor is running "full time" (as with any game) and furthermore has to emulate some other general computational system (one that can run any of a number of different games). This makes it more demanding computationally and harder to optimize. That does sound like a pretty poorly-optimized GBA emulator, though. I don't know anything about the program, but look for an option to cap the framerate.

MAME News

The most recent upstream release of SDLMAME is on the autobuilder. It may or may not build properly (worked in the armel target of the SDK) and should be considered alpha quality if it does. It is optified, which is good considering the lone binary is 35 MB. :O This is just an initial test build which might be used for profiling (i suspect i need to change some build flags for that though.)

This seems to be as good a place as any to mention this developer release. Those who are familiar with the risks of extras-devel (which are legion) are welcome to see if it even runs on the N900 and try some performance testing to see where it needs the most work. Performance in the SDK for the x86 build was...glacial. ROMs go in /opt/sdlmame/roms. Any (development-related) comments could be made in the discussion of the port i started on the sdlmame forum: http://www.bannister.org/forums/ubbt...t&Number=57157
MAME runs great with sound for hundreds of games on the G1 and especially Droid, so the N900 should be at least as good as Droid, since same 3430 and less OS overhead compared to Android.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, TX
Running SDLMAME 0.135u2-0maemo1, have one zip'd rom (1943.zip, works on the other versions/platforms of MAME I've tried), running it nets a window that auto-closes with "Loading Complete" (I believe, it disappears quickly) centered. Running with verbose option nets the following:
Code:
/home/opt/sdlmame $ DISPLAY=:0 ./mame -v
Unexpected option gl_lib queried
Setting SDL_VIDEO_GL_DRIVER = '' ...
Build version:      0.135u2 (Dec 18 2009)
Build architecure:  SDLMAME_ARCH=
Build defines 1:    SDLMAME_UNIX=1 SDLMAME_X11=1 SDLMAME_LINUX=1 SDLMAME_NOASM=1
Build defines 1:    LSB_FIRST=1 NDEBUG=1 DISTRO=generic SYNC_IMPLEMENTATION=tc
SDL/OpenGL defines: SDL_COMPILEDVERSION=1212 USE_OPENGL=0
Compiler defines A: __GNUC__=4 __GNUC_MINOR__=2 __GNUC_PATCHLEVEL__=1 __VERSION__="4.2.1"
Compiler defines B: __unix__=1
Compiler defines C: __USE_FORTIFY_LEVEL=0
SDL Device Driver     : x11
SDL Monitor Dimensions: 800 x 480
Using SDL single-window soft driver (SDL 1.2)
Keyboard: Start initialization
Input: Adding Kbd #1: System keyboard
Keyboard: Registered System keyboard
Keyboard: End initialization
Mouse: Start initialization
Input: Adding Mouse #1: System mouse
Mouse: Registered System mouse
Mouse: End initialization
Joystick: Start initialization
Joystick: End initialization
Audio initialized - driver: pulse, frequency: 48000, channels: 2, samples: 512
sdl_create_buffers: creating stream buffer of 57344 bytes
ouput: opened output notifier file /tmp/sdlmame_out
Illegal instruction
Contents of the sdlmame_out file:
Code:
MAME 4864 START empty
I may give this a closer look when I get a bit of time over the winter break.

any word on a Genesis emulator ?

Originally Posted by ajamils View Post
any word on a Genesis emulator ?
Check the repos, MasterGear has been in extras for a while now.

2d

Originally Posted by 2disbetter View Post

2d
Wrong generation. MasterGear is a Sega Master System/GameGear emulator.

Originally Posted by 2disbetter View Post

2d
MasterGear is an emulator of Master System, (8-bit system from Sega) while Genesis/Mega Drive was the 16-bit gaming system from Sega.

8-bit
Sega: Master System
Nintendo: NES

16-bit
Sega: Genesis/Mega Drive
Nintendo: SNES

Originally Posted by ajamils View Post
MasterGear is an emulator of Master System, (8-bit system from Sega) while Genesis/Mega Drive was the 16-bit gaming system from Sega.

8-bit
Sega: Master System
Nintendo: NES

16-bit
Sega: Genesis/Mega Drive
Nintendo: SNES
WHICH probably explains why I can't get any of my (16bit) roms to work with it.

Thanks for correcting/educating me.

2d

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by bmouring View Post
Running SDLMAME 0.135u2-0maemo1, have one zip'd rom (1943.zip, works on the other versions/platforms of MAME I've tried), running it nets a window that auto-closes with "Loading Complete" (I believe, it disappears quickly) centered. Running with verbose option nets the following:
Contents of the sdlmame_out file:
Code:
MAME 4864 START empty
I may give this a closer look when I get a bit of time over the winter break.
Thanks for giving it a try. I have a question: is the ROM for the late version MAME or one of the ancient versions that usually make their way into the highly optimized derivatives? The ROMs aren't universally compatible.

The compiler threw all kinds of warnings with the default optimization flag in armel build so don't waste too much time troubleshooting. Trying another known good ROM for MAME 0.135 would be a good idea though, especially one that uses a different processor emulator.

I'll push a version with -O0 to the autobuilder so we have a baseline. I'm sure it will be too slow but it will be useful for diagnosis.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2009-12-22 at 23:02.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Thanks for giving it a try. I have a question: is the ROM for the late version MAME or one of the ancient versions that usually make their way into the highly optimized derivatives? The ROMs aren't universally compatible.

The compiler threw all kinds of warnings with the default optimization flag in armel build so don't waste too much time troubleshooting. Trying another known good ROM for MAME 0.135 would be a good idea though, especially one that uses a different processor emulator.

I'll push a version with -O0 to the autobuilder so we have a baseline. I'm sure it will be too slow but it will be useful for diagnosis.
I have verified sets, since Mame4all requires 34/35b roms. They work fine on the Dell Axim, Dingoo, PSP, Droid and G1. All use the same set.

Some play better than others, with G1 and Droid being the best.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, TX

Just checking, but even wit no ROMs in the /opt/sdlmame/roms/ directory, shouldn't it open up and just have nothing to run? I ask since this failure occurs before I even have a chance to run the ROM. I'll still give some of my other ROMs a try, and grab a 34/35b ROM if I don't already have one.