Active Topics

I am sad for this delay but I hope that nokia uses this delay very well and fix all bugs found in this device and aslo add portrait mode and MMS support and video calling support to final software and this delay also give them good time to make alot of cool applications and games for this mobile before its release in November but any another delay after November without any explanation from nokia will make people do not trust in this mobile hardware and software.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
MobileCityOnline moved the date back to 20th of November...

man what are the chances that the N900 will be in my home before 14 november bcz am traveling in 14 november for a long period do i have hope ?

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by tito_66 View Post
I am sad for this delay but I hope that nokia uses this delay very well and fix all bugs found in this device and aslo add portrait mode and MMS support and video calling support to final software and this delay also give them good time to make alot of cool applications and games for this mobile before its release in November but any another delay after November without any explanation from nokia will make people do not trust in this mobile hardware and software.
Let's get real. If the delay was six months they might be able to accomplish what you want. Assuming Nokia is being honest, these are bugs that they learned about this month. At most they will have time to fix the top priority critical bugs.

Furthermore, the bugs must be significant. Anything less and they would have shipped it and followed up with a 5.01 OS update. The original ship date was designed with Christmas sales in mind and this will cut into those, perhaps severely, especially if "in November" becomes November 30.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 84 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Saarbrücken - Germany
Please no more shipping threads. I am trying to quite them. It's hard...

The next shipping date I want to hear about is from Peter@Maemo.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andybehr For This Useful Post:
If they delay this phone beyond November, they'll lose a lot of money...

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
Nokia says N900 sales delayed to November
http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...59M2RJ20091023
"HELSINKI (Reuters) - Top cellphone maker Nokia said on Friday its flagship N900 phone will start selling in November, a month later than originally scheduled, as the company awaits feedback from developers."
what a load of crap, isn't it? :-D if they were interested in feedback, they could've added digital compass and fixed "hardware usb-otg support", in the time between n900 was first mentioned and when it was started being manufactured..

I guess they either can't make enough n900s in time, or they have bugs in the software they must fix (so that regular users e.g. don't criticize the device for too little eye-candies on the desktop)..

Pitty, that nokia only sends PR crap to the media - instead of simply telling us, really-maemo-interested guys, the real situation. I know I would surely like better if they posted in some blog "we have these bugs: 1) 2) 3)... they'll probably take 3 weeks to fix, see the svn changelog....", instead of this... Oh, wel... Even nokia's not a perfect company

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by andree View Post
what a load of crap, isn't it? :-D if they were interested in feedback, they could've added digital compass and fixed "hardware usb-otg support", in the time between n900 was first mentioned and when it was started being manufactured..
1) How do you know what exactly is and isn't being fixed? It might be hardware-related fixes. 2) Do you believe in magick? In such a short time, adding new hardware features which require proper testing is not the smartest thing to do. They require a lot more time!

I guess they either can't make enough n900s in time, or they have bugs in the software they must fix (so that regular users e.g. don't criticize the device for too little eye-candies on the desktop)..
The latter is about the same as the statement you quote, and is definately not mutually exclusive with your quote.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
1) How do you know what exactly is and isn't being fixed? It might be hardware-related fixes.
Wouldn't that be awesome if they tidied up the last couple of hardware issues in this time? Even if you don't have the digital compass / usb-host working in the firmware yet, at least drop in the hardware!

I seriously doubt it, but I can dream.

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Feedback like that is not what the article is talking about. What it *is* talking about is feedback from the actual people who have N900s now, the people from the summit, etc.

Bugs and eyecandy are two totally different things. Would *you* be interested in a device that doesn't work? I know that a lot of people really wouldn't be interested.

Pitty, that nokia only sends PR crap to the media - instead of simply telling us, really-maemo-interested guys, the real situation.
I know you're probably not such an ardent forums reader based on this post, but I am. The real situation (as reported by Peter earlier in this thread IIRC) is pretty much what that said: issues (and feedback) has been given from the people with N900s now, and is being addressed before release for obvious reasons.

That aside, that "PR crap" seems to be exactly what you're asking for anyway - else why are you asking them to post this?

I know I would surely like better if they posted in some blog "we have these bugs: 1) 2) 3)...
bugs.maemo.org, as far as I know, is the place to go. Knock yourself out.

they'll probably take 3 weeks to fix, see the svn changelog...."
Giving a timeframe probably won't happen, in case they can't meet it. Obviously, that's just going to make more people annoyed. For the relevant open components, viewing changelogs may well be possible

Oh, wel... Even nokia's not a perfect company
Arguably, your expectations of a perfect company are a tad unrealistic, and your knowledge of what's going on isn't quite the best either, though I'm not disagreeing that some of the logistics of this seem a bit shaky, but I'm not overly surprised at that either. The N900 launch is being done rather differently to any other device launch I've seen.

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:

Tags
bumped by idiot?, impatience, n900 release, strange