Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Opening the photo competition voting page in the stock browser no longer triggers the disco lights. Yeey!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
You know how we always complained that following a link from e.g. an email reuses the current browser tab? This is no longer the case, the browser now opens a new tab. I believe this has already been mentioned but I do not remember anybody mentioning the consequence.

I took my kids to the local sports centre today. Their public WiFi opens a login page. In the brave new world of Aurajoki, this means a new browser tab. The signal strength was not very good and I was constantly being disconnected and reconnected again. Well what would you know, every single reconnection opened a new login tab. In hardly any time at all, I had 8 tabs open, 6 of those being login pages.

Last edited by pichlo; 2016-07-01 at 05:39. Reason: millions of typos

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I took my kids to the local sports centre today. Their public WiFi opens a login page. In the brave new world of Aurajoki, this means a new browser tab. The signal strength was not very good and I was constantly being disconnected and reconnected again. Well what would you know, every single reconnection opened a new login tab. In hardly any time at all, I had 8 tabs open, 6 of those being login pages.
Yeah, I hate this use case... it pisses me off without multiple tabs even. It also pisses me off in my current shiny work iphone, and it used to piss me off with my dated work android. <rant>I don't understand what's wrong with either leaving an AP fully open or telling people what the password is.</rant>
So I just switch WLAN off in those cases and I'm so much happier.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
<rant>I don't understand what's wrong with either leaving an AP fully open or telling people what the password is.</rant>
Simples. A login page is a means of collecting your personal information. In most cases this is simply to cover their bum holes, in case you use their AP for spamming or illegal activity, but I agree it is annoying as hell. Which is why I am Joe Bloggs from Aaberfeldy on all these sites.

My suggestion to Jolla would be to not do anything. Do not open the browser automatically. Logging in requires a manual step anyway so I think the whole process should be manual.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Not only Pichlo. In France, some ISPs provide what they call "community Wifi". And the principle is really interesting.

In such a case, all set top boxes from a given ISP provides you with the SSID of your choice but also the community one. This way, with your ISP credentials (checked in the browser), you can connect to any community SSID in France and get internet on your device without having to subscribe to a data contract. That's really really cool.

Until now, it was not possible with the Jolla to use this feature, so now, it's cool if it works. I'll check asap.

The Following User Says Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by romu View Post
In such a case, all set top boxes from a given ISP provides you with the SSID of your choice but also the community one.
Wait, are you saying that every Dick and Harry (or, in your case, Jaques and François) can log in to my router and use my bandwidth? I am not sure I would like that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Yes, BUT, on a different SSID, and I think there is some QoS, the bandwith is limited in this case.

Originally Posted by romu View Post
Yes, BUT, on a different SSID, and I think there is some QoS, the bandwith is limited in this case.
I'm sure you don't have any say on this or at least they give you a discount. Easy to justify any illegal download though.

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Nope, this is a default feature. Never had trouble with this personaly, but I'm living in a very quiet place. They are certainly side effects, but the average use case: "people who're downtown can get internet easily on their phones" is pretty simple and the way it's implemented is nice.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Wait, are you saying that every Dick and Harry (or, in your case, Jaques and François) can log in to my router and use my bandwidth? I am not sure I would like that.
FON, Wippies maybe others.

The Following User Says Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:

Tags
intex, jolla, sailfishos, sfo update, sfos2, update