Closed Thread
did not read through the entire thread yet, but on the sliding mechanics, how about a two way version, vertical to expose the camera with maybe a shutter button, and horizontal for qwerty, if already suggested don't mind me

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teun For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by Teun View Post
did not read through the entire thread yet
You should do, it is very interesting stuff!

The discussion about design is done in another thread!

Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
My TCA8424 with evaluation module and launchpad are currently being shipped. So, the rest of my development will focus around this chip.
The TCA8424 evaluation module arrived a day early! Quite amazing, since I ordered it Thursday and has been on three planes since

Anyway, the launchpad -which connects the EVM to my computer- is still being shipped from China (patience), so no programming in the near future! Test setup with the RPi can be build however.

The chip is quite small

Last edited by dirkvl; 2013-10-21 at 12:41.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
TI ship TCA8424 which pushes HID over I2C at 1mhz.
The chip is preprogrammed for standard laptop keyboards but supports up to 128 key/function inputs including multiple simultaneous key entry (great for all those function/ctl commands)
while it is built to support Win8, there is a lkddb entry for HID_I2C which may be possible to build into the Mer kernel adaption by default.
using this chip would only require physical hardware construction of the KB using the pin/wire connections as defined by the TCA8424.
i'm waiting on word back form lbt and Jolla and if they are good to go, I'll by e TCA8424 dev kit and start trialling.
I need to see if the HID_I2C driver can also push input directly into Malit.
stay tuned as more info comes to hand....

edit: if the kids give me break this arvo, I'll try a kernel build with HID_I2C and see if I can get it up on my Raspberry Pi with Mer. if this works, we'll take it form there...
Any progress with MER on the RPi? Anyone a working image or good tutorial?

The Following User Says Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Com...n_Raspberry_Pi
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Haha NICE! Anyone a good tutorial for Sailfish on RPi??!?!?

Okay, so apparently it is the plan to be able to put Sailfish on the RPi in the future, which makes OH experimenting really really easy! And less of a risk, as the RPi is quite cheap! Also, make your own very very cheap Sailfish tablet/AIO!

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Haha NICE! Anyone a good tutorial for Sailfish on RPi??!?!?

Okay, so apparently it is the plan to be able to put Sailfish on the RPi in the future, which makes OH experimenting really really easy! And less of a risk, as the RPi is quite cheap! Also, make your own very very cheap Sailfish tablet/AIO!
You better first get nemoui working on RPi because that is fullky opensource. But thats oftopic too this thread.

What we talk about here is probadly lowlevel communication wth i2c bus and unrelated to UI:s used...

you better just print i2c communication in the console no need for highlevel UI:s.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-10-23 at 11:25.

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
For mer on the RPi:

https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Com...ce/RaspberryPi

No ready-made image, but quite detailed instructions.

The Following User Says Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Valencia (Spain)
My TCA8424 with evaluation module and launchpad are currently being shipped. So, the rest of my development will focus around this chip.

Since we know the Jolla device has the interrupt-line and uses the Mer I2C_HID driver, what needs to be done on the software side to make this work? (And is there a way to emulate this in the SDK??)
IMHO, I think that using a "hardwired" chip, such as the TCA8424, greatly limits the success of the project. At this point, it is impossible to known if Sailfish will support I2C_HID.

I suggest using a low power microcontroller to open up flexibility, openness and lots of future projects. From my point of view, ARM Cortex-M0+ variants are good for that, for example NXP LPC8xx series.

I can help developing the software for the micro. Also I can create some I2C-anything dongle, so Pi es not a requirement. A simple PC will be sufficient.

Regards,
Àngel

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aperles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
More hopefully helpful information for kernel people. If someone wants to backport I2C_HID driver and your wondering against which kernel to backport it to. Then the answer is that following kernel git sha would be 'close enough' for the possible merge with real target device's kernel.

https://www.codeaurora.org/cgit/quic...7ec3194fa6c6bf

Code:
<project groups="default" name="kernel/msm" path="kernel" revision="b6c36b91b2ed506374d7c526867ec3194fa6c6bf"/>
<remote fetch="git://codeaurora.org/" name="caf" review="codeaurora.org"/>

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aperles View Post
IMHO, I think that using a "hardwired" chip, such as the TCA8424, greatly limits the success of the project. At this point, it is impossible to known if Sailfish will support I2C_HID.

I suggest using a low power microcontroller to open up flexibility, openness and lots of future projects. From my point of view, ARM Cortex-M0+ variants are good for that, for example NXP LPC8xx series.

I can help developing the software for the micro. Also I can create some I2C-anything dongle, so Pi es not a requirement. A simple PC will be sufficient.

Regards,
Àngel
Even the most low power microcontroller doesn't match even near the current consumption of the TCA8424 and like. With mobile devices energy preservation means everything.

And if I understand correctly, you don't have to use TCA8424 as I2C HID device, you can use it like any other I2C device. Just read the data after the interrupt line goes up.

I don't actually understand how using a microcontroller would be easier. You'd then have to write a custom driver for sailfish, which would be a same amount of trouble as writing a driver for TCA8424.

If the I2C HID driver appears to be too difficult task and custom driver is not tempting, e.g. ADP5588 has a linux driver available.

IMO using a microcontroller for this kind of task does not make sense.

Last edited by TemeV; 2013-10-24 at 18:40.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TemeV For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
keyboard, limited-edition, otherhalf, qwerty