Texrat : I am guessing that there will be some sort of PIM software involved in the next firmware update similar to the Palm stuff?

Sherifnix has it 100% right!

This device is so frustrating because it could be great but basically sux.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Rochester, NY
Come on guys, we have been talking about development for a while, but no releases.

At least tell us stuff before we all start leaving our n800s ?in the junk dawer?

keep us interested!ted!ted!

It's SOP for phone companies to do this: there's a variety of reasons.

I'd whine more, but I'm prepared to play the long odds.

That said, I no longer keep my N800 charged. Sigh.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
Why aren't the firmware contents made known? Does it have to be a secret?
Unfortunately, I can't answer that . I actually wonder why it's not made more obvious. And there's a good chance some will be irritated with me, because the improvements I know about will be mostly usable to a select group, and Nokia has already publicly expressed the intention to implement them.

Also, I know nothing about PIM developments.

The only reason I could see any company keeping there updates secret would be if it was something big.. something they wanted to remain secret so no other companies could duplicate it.. they want to push it first..

Other than that thats about it, even apple is pushing there new OS and its not even close to release yet.. heck M$ is pushing crap thats years away.

I think Nokia should let us know especially since some people write apps for it etc. But if there going to come up with a iPhone killer app or something like that then i would give them a pass on that type of thing.. But they should at least say "We have something really big for you.. but thats all we can say due to security risks of the new update."

I did however show my wife a video of the n800 last night and she said, there was a 20 minute long thing on CNN last night at 3am when she was up with the baby.. Shocked the crap out of me.. she knew exactly what it was!!! Odd that Nokia is pushing these that much? But I mentioned skype and she was sure it said skype in the infomercial.. we knew this already.. but when?

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Finland
let s have fun...

c l w b a
e a i e d
l y l d
l e l e
u r d
l
a
r

this Codex is leak from reliable source but "not for now''. "Now" was 1 moth ago.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
ughhhhhh if the new N880 or N900 what ever they call it next will have that I am defenetly not buying it.

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Finland
sorry, unless they change their mind or decide to release different versions with / without, this is definitely where they re going.

so you're sayin they're gonna turn the internet tablet into a linux smart phone?

I don't believe it......not even if it was 1 moth ago!!

dcarter