Active Topics

Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
After many happy months with my trusty N900, I have decided to take the plunge and go for a Nokia N8.

Yes. Back to Symbian! But apparently its meant to be quite good this time round.

Why am I abandoning the N900?

Well firstly, its a big chunky! Yes I got used to it now, but its still driving me crazy every now and then. The battery life isnt great either! My Maemo OS has never really been stable with hildon-desktop crashing every few days, which can be an annoyance. Additionally, the camera aint that great either, especially at night!

I still believe that the N900 is by far the best phone on the market today, and nothing even comes close to it at the moment!

I will move over to the N8, but definitely keep my N900 and I will be watching out for Meego 1.1 and also Nitdroid. Plus it will give me an incentive to hack the **** out of my N900! I will install Meego builds, and Nitdroid etc. Should be fun!

more importantly, I read some great things about the N8, and I would like your opinions about it.
Go ahead, buy an arm 11 phone when 2010 is ending. From the vids isnt it clear its way slower then other modern high end phones? Plz save your money, or donate it to some worthy cause

or buy an n900 to a deserving person

goog luck with your n8.... your arguments for leaving the n900 are pretty weak.... but hey the choice s yours to make... i hope symbie serves you well

cn

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Well you could try that somewhere else, since this thread is just a flame fest.

The Register has a 3 page hands-on article.
http://www.reghardware.com/2010/06/1...a_n8_hands_on/

And here's a 8 minute HD-video hands on. It's C7, but that runs the same S^3 as N8.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFNeJ...layer_embedded
Michal's also done a preview of it at My-Symbian.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
These guys had 27000 N900´s on order before Nokia started shipping them out. Currently they´ve got 6200 N8´s they are waiting on.

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/...er_id=!ORDERID!

They´ve currently got 200 N900´s in stock and none on order

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/...er_id=!ORDERID!

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Lokk at the screen resolution!Terrible.....no hardware keyboard and terrible symbian icons.....I`ll pass.....next phone please.

Originally Posted by sophocha View Post
Lokk at the screen resolution!Terrible.....no hardware keyboard and terrible symbian icons.....I`ll pass.....next phone please.
Nice decision making skills and knowledge of Symbian. If its the icons that are important change the theme from the available or make your own theme with iconset. Resolution is actually the same as on Samsung AMOLED screens since its not pentile. Same clarity on screen so no resolution difference.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
To avoid dozens of "You should've researched the dang thing!!" scorns a few months down the road, would any expert post their listing of N8 problems and deficiencies up front??
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
To avoid dozens of "You should've researched the dang thing!!" scorns a few months down the road, would any expert post their listing of N8 problems and deficiencies up front??
What N8 has to do with maemo?

Probably there will be lots of reviews when N8 is officially released. Or when RTM version is hands of reviewers.