Active Topics

Fanoush: You are right (of course). The /mnt/initfs diectory was full. I have also (belatedly, of course) read the README file, and from what I have now learned I believe that, again, "discretion being the better part of valor," I'll not proceed any further with my experimentation in this regard with the 770. I take it that there is insufficient space in the /mnt/initfs directory for me to configure my own bootmenu.conf file to use in place of the bootmenu.sh file that's currently there. I am even more eagerly now looking forward to receipt of my N800, which I have regretted having to purchase. Regards, Jim

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Also the README is not clear about it, for customization you need to copy example to file named bootmenu.conf
Code:
cp bootmenu.conf.n800.example bootmenu.conf
and then edit it to your liking (i.e add your own ID and other parameters). The ID you choose can be used as root device for cal-tool or nokia flasher so it is preselected as default choice.

initfs flashing script searches for bootmenu.conf in current directory. If found it asks you if it should be added to final initfs image.

Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
The /mnt/initfs diectory was full.
Yes if you opted to not to remove extra stuff. But still you can prepare the file and let the flasher script include it in final image. That way it should fit even when not removing the extra stuff. You just can't modify it later (without reflashing initfs again). If extra stuff it removed (and it really is not so important and you can get it back from backup image or original firmware) then you can edit it directly in /mnt/initfs couple of times. With editing bootmenu.sh inplace (which is much larger) I think I did it like 5 times until I saw error and got the file truncated, bootmenu.conf is smaller so it should be better. I can no longer test this limit since I enlarged initfs partition and shrinked rootfs in some experiment and don't know how to get back to smaller size. I like bigger initfs partition but cannot test this 'initfs almost full' situation with n770 properly anymore.

Fanoush: Thanks for the excellent advice in this matter, which I will be following up on. Two other matters:

1) Your README has a slight but possibly misleading typographical error:

ROOT DEVICE

"root device can be set either by linux flasher on PC over USB cable"

Shouldn't that "on" be "or"?

2) In your instructions for booting from MMC, you state:

"The first time I tried this on my N800 it led to continuous reboots 30-90 seconds after booting. Trying it a second time on a clean install (directly after flashing and erasing everything already on the device) worked fine."

Does this mean that you don't recommend installing various applications on the flash operating system (i.e., kbdd, fbreader) prior to copying it to the MMC, which would be a means of saving having to reinstall such applications second times in both (or more) operating systems?

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Fanoush:

"The first time I tried this on my N800 it led to continuous reboots 30-90 seconds after booting. Trying it a second time on a clean install (directly after flashing and erasing everything already on the device) worked fine."

Does this mean that you don't recommend installing various applications on the flash operating system (i.e., kbdd, fbreader) prior to copying it to the MMC, which would be a means of saving having to reinstall such applications second times in both (or more) operating systems?
Yea I wanted to ask the same question... I am sort of experiencing the same issue... So that means I am going to need to reflash my device and recopy my fs...

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
I also try to install applications and I was unable to it keept giving me errors... I am going to try a fresh install later today..

1) Your README has a slight but possibly misleading typographical error:

ROOT DEVICE

"root device can be set either by linux flasher on PC over USB cable"

Shouldn't that "on" be "or"?
no, linux flasher runs on the PC and uses USB cable to communicate with the tablet. Second option is cal-tool which runs directly on the tablet. Is using 'on' OK in this context or is using 'in' or something else better?

In fact this sentence is not mine. This is Wiki, anyone can edit it including you. You can click 'Get Info' link on wiki page and then select versions and click 'Diff' to see who added what.

I haven't seen this issue on my device yet so I guess it is safe to clone the system anytime (and I do it like this). If the system boots OK from flash it should in theory boot also from mmc if the copy is exact (i.e. no mistake is made while cloning). This theory works for me on N770 both with IT2006 and also IT2007 (hacker edition) which is made from N800 firmware. I still don't have big card for my N800 so I'm not sure how cloned system works on real device. There may be differences due to two mmc slots (which is not same as N770 with IT2007).

I know some people reported this reboots after cloning but it can still be some mistake when doing it. Or it can be also some specific installed application which does this. I guess Canola does some funny things with the device but I never installed it so I don't know for sure. Maybe it is related to scanning mmc cards for media files after boot.

Fanoush: You've provided us with lots of good information to think about, and act on as appropriate

1) "Is using 'on' OK in this context or is using 'in' or something else better?"

Thanks for the clarification here. Now that I understand it better, I believe that the issue does not concern whether "on", "or" or "in" would be better, but rather the use of the word "either." I assumed that you meant "or" because of the "either." Am I making myself sufficiently clear here?

2) "I haven't seen this issue on my device yet so I guess it is safe to clone the system anytime.... If the system boots OK from flash it should in theory boot also from mmc if the copy is exact (i.e. no mistake is made while cloning).... There may be differences due to two mmc slots...."

As you haven't had opportunity yet to pursue this issue of a large card and the N800's two slots, I will be experimenting with all this when I get my N800 and report back to you and the forum, and no doubt also seek further advice. From what I can make out from your README, I could possibly also have multi "distros" on just one card (if big enough) and boot to each of their separate ext2 partitions from your boot menu, and wouldn't even need to effect this with separate cards. Anyway, much to consider. Thanks again. Regards, Jim

Now that I understand it better, I believe that the issue does not concern whether "on", "or" or "in" would be better, but rather the use of the word "either." I assumed that you meant "or" because of the "either." Am I making myself sufficiently clear here?
There is "or" . The full sentence is
"root device can be set either by linux flasher on PC over USB cable <step how to do it> or directly on device via cal-tool command <step how to do it>"
Maybe it is just too long and complex for one sentence.

Fanoush: I've looked again at the README file and discovered the reason for my confusion regarding use of the word "either." You quote the sentence as:

"root device can be set either by linux flasher on PC over USB cable <step how to do it> or directly on device via cal-tool command <step how to do it>"

The fact that the <step how to do it> instructions occur on separate lines caused me to not read the ROOT DEVICE instruction as an intregal sentence. Sorry.

Also, presumably while you were sleeping last night (and I have to assume that you do sleep, though it's not always apparent from your prompt responses on the forum), I did try out your clarified instructions for copying the "bootmenu.conf.n770.example" file to "bootmenu.conf," which I then customized and reflashed, and the whole process worked fine on my 770. It was quite easy. Thanks again.