Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia
I got a sidekick pre-paid plan...and the unlimited web doesn't work....some mobile site work...like m.yahoo.com works.

This doesn't do me no good! Am popping my At&t sim card back in!

T-mobile is tripping!

The Following User Says Thank You to crasbelize For This Useful Post:
I have a n900 and I have t-mobile here in california USA for like 5 years already but I dont and never got any data plan, is there a way to setup for free internet like it was possible in the 2009 year or no more? Thanks

quick Q. is there a data-only plan on t-mo? i dont need phone necessarily but would like to use 3G data for limited times.

Does the sidekick+proxy trick still works for any of you (for t-mobile in the U.S)?

I tried it today, tried several public proxies, each using a different port (tested the proxies on my PC, and they all work), but I couldn't connect anywhere.

It should, I don't see why not.

They only block port 80 and 443, so from the terminal try to telnet to a mail server on port 25, or mysql server on 3306, or ssh into somewhere, etc. All those should work without a proxy.

Is there any news on this? Any of you benchmark the sidekick plan at 3G speed and get all of the apps to work with it? T-Mobile told me it was a "prepaid data plan" and that it would work with any smart phone - disingenuous advertising!

I set up a new prepaid card on my N900 today. I started it off on the Sidekick plan.

If I use epc.t-mobile.com as my APN, I can browse within their walled garden. However, I can't connect to my OpenVPN server at home.
If I use hiptop.t-mobile.com as my APN, OpenVPN works great, and I'm able to use the workarounds listed on other threads to fix my default route so all traffic goes over the VPN. Unfortunately, if my VPN isn't connected, I can't get to *anything* - t-mobile.com, t-zones.com, and web2go.com are all blocked.

My general plan is to stay on payg unless I need data, so the VPN won't be an option most of the time. I'd prefer not to have to switch the APN back and forth when I do need data (though I guess if I'm already going to the trouble of changing my plan, changing my apn isn't a huge deal). Anyone else run into this? Any solutions?

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Berkeley, CA
Originally Posted by Nazrax View Post
If I use hiptop.t-mobile.com as my APN, OpenVPN works great, and I'm able to use the workarounds listed on other threads to fix my default route so all traffic goes over the VPN.
Could you please point me to the threads where the workaround for full tunneling is documented? I am desperately trying to set up OpenVPN server on Windows Home Server with N900 client.

Actually, now that I review my steps, I don't think I had to manually do the workaround.

To get OpenVPN to take over the default route, include the following lines in your openvpn config:
route-gateway <the gateway>
redirect-gateway def1

Unfortunately, redirect-gateway relies on the presence of an existing default route, and when you're on a cell connection you don't have one. You can use the workaround listed at https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7596#c9 (make sure to put those two lines above the redirect-gateway line). Or, you can use the openvpn-applet - it automatically fixes the default route so that you don't have to do it in your own configuration files.

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Berkeley, CA
Originally Posted by Nazrax View Post
.....Or, you can use the openvpn-applet - it automatically fixes the default route so that you don't have to do it in your own configuration files.
Thanks! But that's a pretty BIG "Or."

Are you saying either add the two lines plus try to make sense of all the things discussed in the link you have......OR do nothing and use OpenVPN applet?

Or are you saying the applet replaces just the stuff in the link?