Active Topics

Poll: Who will ship first?
Poll Options
Who will ship first?

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Although I am unsure if Pandora did "NO" planning, I am sure they knew that they could never meet the deadlines they set. Which means they are nothing more than scam artists, and until useable units are delivered, I will hold this opinion.
The most likely culprit, and I am just speculating here based on the reasons offered for the delay, is that it just isn't that easy for a small organization to manufacture 1000 of a handheld consumer electronics device at a reasonably low cost. Maybe it's a bit optimistic or naive to attempt the project, but you can't do a lot of advance "planning" to anticipate all of the issues that might come up during the manufacturing process and they would not be the first to find themselves unintentionally in over their head.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
As they say, make an estimate. Try to make it a realistic estimate. Double the time. THEN you have a realistic estimate. Double that. THEN you have the actual time needed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
As they say, make an estimate. Try to make it a realistic estimate. Double the time. THEN you have a realistic estimate. Double that. THEN you have the actual time needed.
So they were ordered beginning of October, and were supposed to be shipped by Christmas. So 3 months doubled would be 6 months double that and we're looking at October 2009.

I think your actually onto something. Perhaps you should share your algorithm with the Pandora crew.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2009-05-04 at 22:32.

This is the list of the To-Do's list that aren't scratched out as complete from the front page of the Pandora webpage.

Is this an accurate list of the what is still un-done? Man, that list has not gone down much.

http://openpandora.org/

To-Do:

* Build a test device and check if everything is okay
* Create the keymat mould (takes 20 - 25 days)
* Create mould of final case (can be done once the case fits, takes 30 - 35 days)
* CE / FCC testing (can be done once the prototype case is here)
* Mass Production testrun for the final boards
* Stability testing (this will be fun)
* Wait for the last remaining pieces for mass production (LATEST deadline is second week of March)
* Mass Production
* Test the boards
* SHIP THEM!
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Oh man... Even if I was sceptical about their release day... I couldn't imagine they are still this far from actual ship date! Qoles' odds of winning are looking a lot better....

Last edited by Mara; 2009-05-04 at 23:18.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
could be that someone is forgetting to edit it, who knows.

not that i care much any longer. it will ship when it ships, or not at all.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
could be that someone is forgetting to edit it, who knows.

not that i care much any longer. it will ship when it ships, or not at all.
I am guessing you didn't pre-order?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
nope, didnt have the funds.

not that i like paying for something before its available anyways.

and i also avoid downpayments unless its unavoidable (house, car, other really expensive object).

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
To-Do:
* Build a test device and check if everything is okay
* Create the keymat mould (takes 20 - 25 days)
* Create mould of final case (can be done once the case fits, takes 30 - 35 days)
* CE / FCC testing (can be done once the prototype case is here)
* Mass Production testrun for the final boards
* Stability testing (this will be fun)
* Wait for the last remaining pieces for mass production (LATEST deadline is second week of March)
* Mass Production
* Test the boards
* SHIP THEM!
I love the way "mass production" is just a single bullet point...

It's a bit like that scene in Red Dwarf (the UK sci-fi sitcom) where they capture Hitler's diary and it's full of stuff like "To Do Today: Buy some milk, feed the cat, annex Czechoslovakia."

Incidentally, is their claim to be "by far the most powerful handheld in the world both in terms of raw CPU power and 3D graphics" valid any more, even if they shipped tomorrow? Or are they only comparing themselves to handheld games consoles?

Last edited by krisse; 2009-05-05 at 19:58.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Incidentally, is their claim to be "by far the most powerful handheld in the world both in terms of raw CPU power and 3D graphics" valid any more, even if they shipped tomorrow?
The Archos 5 shipped with an OMAP3430 in Summer 2008. So, no, it definitely hasn't been valid any time since then.

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Or are they only comparing themselves to handheld games consoles?
This is almost certainly it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:

Tags
burtflitter, chinese food, christmas, christmas 2013, christmas 2666, credit card fraud, dnf, fata morgana, lies, omap3, pandora, pandora != real, pandora hoax, pandora is going to ship?, pandora v linear time war, retreating shipdate, ripoff, scam, speculation, virtualbox