Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Really? I thought that the N8x0 had a serial port under the back cover. Nokia could make a replacement battery cover with WiMAX connecting that way. Should be able to get 115 kb/s easily.
The serial port is used to burn in firmware in the factory... not sure if it can support additional use.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The serial port is used to burn in firmware in the factory... not sure if it can support additional use.
'course it can (and has been)!

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mississauga, ON Canada
Really? I thought that the N8x0 had a serial port under the back cover. Nokia could make a replacement battery cover with WiMAX connecting that way. Should be able to get 115 kb/s easily.
Or you could walk around with with one of these Rogers "Portable Internet" Wimax modems strapped to your back
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to instigator For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
'course it can (and has been)!
I plead ignorance.

Ok, needs flasher to enable, but you have to have flasher to update image to OS2008.25, anyway. And it's a new battery cover; it could cover a new battery. It could be the greatest thing since microSD and fixed internal memory...

Edit: Tex, it's used as a serial console by the excitable lads doing things likely to break startup.

Last edited by Benson; 2008-03-31 at 19:58.

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I plead ignorance.
It affects battery life because in the device there is no grounding, so it is likely to have an irq storm.
Also level shifters are missing. However the pads are probably the most easily accessible part of the interiors.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Ok, needs flasher to enable, but you have to have flasher to update image to OS2008.25, anyway.
Yeah, sounds great for all the Windows users out there.

Take THAT, Mackie!

I assumed the luser-friendly Wiindows tool was just a cross-compile of the Linux flasher, wrapped in a pretty shell, so it could do it. But I suppose the image format does not contain flags to indicate add'l changes, so it couldn't just be pushed as a new OS image.

Igor, you saying there'd be no substantial battery drain from the serial con if you put a pull-up/down on rx? (When not in use, of course.)

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ San Diego area
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
That's not _necessarily_ true. Until now, sure, you needed to convince the carriers to sell your CDMA device. But, if Verizon is going to be true to their word, then all Nokia has to do is get their devices certified, and then the customer can buy them without Verizon branding them. And hopefully this will lead to Sprint and the smaller CDMA carriers following suit (MetroPCS, Cricket, etc.).
The thing is, right now Nokia doesn't even really make any CDMA phones. (Any that have Nokia's logo on them are ODM units made by other manufacturers, or units that were designed at least a year and a half ago, as far as I know.) Their sole CDMA R&D center (in San Diego) laid off 1/3-1/2 of its employees about a year and a half ago and switched to working on GSM phones. So I'd be really shocked to see them put 1xEVDO into an internet table.