Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Maemo 5 source code is not available. Nokia won't give it.

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Uruguay
I had mine as a present from a friend who bought it to have the biggest baddass cellphone at the time.
He used it about one week, they didn't had a nice marriage so my friend gave it to me with disgust face. I told him that was he not knowing how to use it or just not used to use it (oh lord, english) i told him that i was going to have it one month, learn it from up to the bottom and teach him (as i did with a Palm Z71, an HP IPaq and a Motorola A1200)
I assure him he was going to love this phone.

One month later.... no, wait... one week later i hated this phone more than he did, but i had sold my other phone so i had to hold on to it for some time.
One month later i hated it even more... And my hate continued growing for some time, several times i was at a second to throw it thru a window.
6 Hs Battery, laggy functioning, hanging programs everywhere, neurotic radio, no MMS, poor SMS, no writing with one hand/finger over screen on vertical position... and so on, and so on...

Then i found this place of the internet and started to learn what this thing may become.
SEVERAL updates later i had almost what i wanted on a cellphone and almost what i needed on a (portable) computer.

Today i cant complain at all... It made me swet, it made me curse, it made me study, it made me nervous, it made me angry...
There has not been one woman that could make me be on so much emotional distress and so many psychological states, so i love this phone more than i have loved most women.... well, more than most women had love me actually.

And i dont think i'm going to change it or at least not while maemo.org is around there.

I would like to have maemo 6 or some other OSes ported and easy to install or flash as i do on my PC but i know that's a lot of hard work so i don't complain.
I can only be grateful with the people who has made this thingy work properly and all this "place" on the internet world possible.

Thank you very much!!!.

Last edited by RichardN900; 2013-02-08 at 02:37.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichardN900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 132 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ Nairobi Kenya
Nokia N900 is my one and only phone....I've been to N9500, N95, E70, Nokia N85, N96, N97 and here I am now on the best one ever from Nokia, The N900. The only way am parting with this one is if I manage to get the N950

The Following User Says Thank You to Freddie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
sorry but maemo 5 itself is fully open source

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
List of parts of Maemo 5, which code is not available:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_closed_packages

Code from Nokia would be nice indeed. Currently only way is to rewrite these components (or live without and miss some functionality).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.parkmobile

As soon as I get this app to run, I will hand over my N9 to my best friend who's wife tricked him into buying an iPhone5. Of course it sucks, calling sound disappearing and such. But there this is the one app he uses, that I need to get running on the N9. I am not sure if this is going to run on apkenv.

After that, I'll be back on the N900 full time for a while.

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
which is better phone, n9 or n900 from your experience?thanks!

I used the N9 earlier, and recently bought an N900. I'd have to say the N900 is a great phone, battery and usb problems aside, though the N9 is more oriented as a 'social' and 'pretty' phone. N900 is a pocketable PC that has a phone capability so to speak.

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by psychEinside View Post
which is better phone, n9 or n900 from your experience?thanks!
Two different beasts, alltogether.

The N900 is more a pocket computer. The N9 is more like a regular smartphone with a really good multitasking system.

Both are lovely phones to have. If you get depressed owning one of these, you simply reflash it by

sudo ./flasher-3.5 -F givemebackmysunshine.bin -f -R

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
I have n9 planning to sell and buy n900.thats why I am asking which is better phone.thanks for your response

The Following User Says Thank You to psychEinside For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900