Poll: Is it okay for a student with limited financial resources to pirate software?
Poll Options
Is it okay for a student with limited financial resources to pirate software?

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Getting people hooked has been a tried and tested strategy for getting your software out there. Most software companies have a way to let you try it without anyone having to resort to stealing.
True. What was interesting in this case was that there were no time restrictions, you could update and download post-processor files and you could generate drawings and g-code.

I agree, the intel model is very interesting.

Originally Posted by Grok View Post
True. What was interesting in this case was that there were no time restrictions, you could update and download post-processor files and you could generate drawings and g-code.

I agree, the intel model is very interesting.
In the case you mentioned I think there are only two uses, educational and for profit. Personal for fun usage doesn't seem like a normal scenario.

As for the Intel model, Sun looked at doing this a while ago. You know when they had big iron at 72 processors. They'd sell a fully populated Server and then you licensed what you needed. When you're not using it, and you're just idling away, you pay the minimum, but when you were on a big project and needed all of the processors you can pay for more. In this case you turned on and off monthly as you needed (if I remember correctly). I think they also managed upgrades to your system and your memory too so it was as automagic as possible. It was kinda like the cloud model but you had the server in your server room not theirs.

In the intel model as long as you pay the same for 3 cores (with or without the potential for upgrade) I think there's a case to be made.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The US did the same thing on VHS and audio cassette tapes and IMO it's the most reasonable solution overall.

We were actually going to be prevented from legally taping over-the-air content. The legal compromise was that we could do so for personal use only, and a small fee would be assessed to recordable media since the most common use of the media was for recording copyrighted material. I'm willing to bet that is equally true for CDs and DVDs.

Of course, some of that fee should go directly to the content creators. In cases where a decent amount does not, to me that's an injustice.

SOMEhow revenue must be captured and distributed for content creators. It's only fair. I'm willing to entertain better solutions than what's in place now.
Every time a new recording medium comes out the same issues occur.

I do agree strongly with artist/writer/developer getting his just reward, sadly they are still ripped off with alarming frequency

The other sad justification in this pervasive pattern of stealing intellectual property is that it's EASY!

I wonder, who of you would borrow or steal a nice car if the keys were in it and no one was around?

Those of you who wouldn't should rethink your justification for stealing software etc.

Those who would..........well, a thief is a thief.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Grok View Post
The other sad justification in this pervasive pattern of stealing intellectual property is that it's EASY!

I wonder, who of you would borrow or steal a nice car if the keys were in it and no one was around?

Those of you who wouldn't should rethink your justification for stealing software etc.

Those who would..........well, a thief is a thief.
s/rationalization/justification

And while I agree with your analogy (see my previous book example that no one wanted to touch), many claim that improper acquisition of intellectual property isn't theft due mainly to the product's "insubstantial" nature. But that argument is a gross failure of logic. Not that anyone cares.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
s/rationalization/justification

And while I agree with your analogy (see my previous book example that no one wanted to touch), many claim that improper acquisition of intellectual property isn't theft due mainly to the product's "insubstantial" nature. But that argument is a gross failure of logic. Not that anyone cares.
No Kidding!

If it was that "insubstantial" you wouldn't want it.......even for free.

Sadly most folks moral compass is tied directly to the likelyhood of being caught.

We had an infamous politician state If no one catches you, it isn't illegal. Or words to that effect

Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
I don't agree but I understand why you might think that.

Let me ask you then, about music. If you were a musician, you love making music and for you its a joy but also a ton of work to get it just right, you need agents, band members, equipment the whole works. Now let's say you only make $0.05 or $0.10 on every song, iTunes takes 30%, the label gets their cut, so forth and so on and then all that's left for you is a few measly percentages. Now, if you were full-time and the only way of sustaining, you, your family, your children, do you think you'd still be ok with the world downloading your songs for free? Again, I'm talking full-time profession, not just a part-time hobby you do after dinner before you go to sleep.

So when people say, yeah, it just a stupid digital song, it has no value, do you think that would make you feel good after you've poured yourself into your art? You think that's right?

Look, some people get rich, some people don't. When people think Microsoft they think Bill Gates with BILLIONS of dollars, when they think music, they think Michael Jackson with his Hundreds of Millions. The music and software industry employs thousands if not millions of other people who also depend on the revenue.

Sure, there are the rich in any industry, that DOES NOT mean you can steal from that industry as a whole because you're also stealing from the regular workers, not just the big names.

Sorry I just can't seem to get my mind wrapped around taking for free someone else's hard earned work. I'm a photographer so maybe for me I'm more sensitive because my work is digital as well and I don't like it when I hear people say that digital media has no value, and no I am not rich.
I agree with you, to me music is art and I appreciate that which I find artistically stimulating, and that is why I buy the music of artists I like, and the books of authors I like. But I don't want to buy Music if I am not going to like it. Actually recently I have been using Spotify (instead of downloading) as a means to test whether I like some music before buying it.

Again about the morality aspect, you just described your view of morality, a view which many including myself agree with. But morality is not universal, as we can see by examining people from all over the world outside the more homogenous western culture, and people can have completely different moralities. For example in some tribes of indigenous people in the Amazon, the mother often drowns a newborn child if she already has many children and it is impractical to feed another. We may view this with horror and disgust, but that because of the moral system that we have been brought up with, and to them it is a completely normal and acceptable thing to do, indeed many other species in the animal world do this too.

Originally Posted by matthewbpt View Post
Again about the morality aspect, you just described your view of morality, a view which many including myself agree with. But morality is not universal, as we can see by examining people from all over the world outside the more homogenous western culture, and people can have completely different moralities. For example in some tribes of indigenous people in the Amazon, the mother often drowns a newborn child if she already has many children and it is impractical to feed another. We may view this with horror and disgust, but that because of the moral system that we have been brought up with, and to them it is a completely normal and acceptable thing to do, indeed many other species in the animal world do this too.
I fully understand that people ascribe to different types of morality. All I ask is that people put themselves in the other person's shoes and at least try to see from the other people's perspective.

If you're poor, is it okay to steal things you need?

Same answer.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
In a forum debate, is it possible to change anyone's mind?

Same answer
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
In a forum debate, is it possible to change anyone's mind?

Same answer
Notice neither of us actually gave the answer.

Tags
bollocks!, here be pirates, pirateparty ftw