Active Topics

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
BATTERY GAUGE CHIP BQ27200 SEMI-AUTOMATIC CALIBRATION

for your convenience: http://maemo.cloud-7.de/maemo5/patch...brate-bq27k.sh automatic calibration script for bq27200 chip.

(serving suggestion:
Code:
root
cd $(dirname $(which bq27200.sh)); 
wget http://maemo.cloud-7.de/maemo5/patches_n_tools/calibrate-bq27k.sh;
chmod +x calibrate-bq27k.sh
)

HOW TO USE:
There are two slightly different modes to use this:
  • first plug in wallcharger, then start the script
    will start charging battery on plugin of charger, and script waits untill battery full and VDQ:1, before the discharging begins (tested)
  • first start the script, then plug in wallcharger
    the script, when finding a valid discharge process (VDQ:1) in progress, will try to stop charging (also emergency charging aka flatbatrecover) and continue to DIScharge battery until the learning cycle complete. Advantage: faster. Tested to work by Kerio

You will need bq27200.sh (also here, plain file) installed (incl i2ctools) - quite probably you already have that otherwise why would you want to calibrate bq27200 chip ;-)
and you need to cd to the directory where bq27200.sh lives, before starting the calibrate-bq27k.sh script (the script calls ./bq27200.sh).

The script will
  • charge battery until full (actually until VDQ:1), then
  • switch off charging (stop bme) and
  • discharge battery until
  • learning cycle complete (EDV1:1), when it will
  • re-enable charging by starting bme.
For proper unattended discharging/calibrating during you're asleep in the night, you want to set screen backlight to 'always on' and level 5 (will result in discharge during ~4h).
Don't feel shocked when BME starting charging - after learning cycle - will leave device completely dark - some even think it's not something exactly inconvenient. Just engage lockslider 2 times to 'revive' your acting dead device ;-) (or un-comment last line in calibrate-bq27k.sh which restarts mce and thus as well reverts backlight to normal operation)

PS: you'll probably need root for all of the above

enjoy
/jOERG

ps: you may want to check for improved or bugfixed script versions every now and then. I won't announce every minor update here.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2012-08-06 at 16:10.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Dr. Frost!

Nice to see you are still the dean of the "College of Nokia N900 Power". You are, indeed, a cornerstone of the community.

I'm back from the dead and am considering putting something together for the current contest. It would definitely be something security related as that is the vast majority of my work. My understanding is that I have approximately six weeks. I'm trying to set some time aside.

I have been using the pitiful Mugen battery. I loathe it. I am now going to try to get my hands on the much loved Scud batteries. I can't decide if I want to use a single or put two in series. Anyway - point me in the right direction.

Side note: If anyone has any wishes for some specific security application/solution - I am all ears.

Cheers,

Abe

The Following User Says Thank You to Old Abe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Old Abe View Post
Side note: If anyone has any wishes for some specific security application/solution - I am all ears.
You may want to start a separate thread.
I will be most interested in any ideas you currently have...

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Old Abe View Post
Dr. Frost!

Nice to see you are still the dean of the "College of Nokia N900 Power". You are, indeed, a cornerstone of the community.

I'm back from the dead and am considering putting something together for the current contest. It would definitely be something security related as that is the vast majority of my work. My understanding is that I have approximately six weeks. I'm trying to set some time aside.

I have been using the pitiful Mugen battery. I loathe it. I am now going to try to get my hands on the much loved Scud batteries. I can't decide if I want to use a single or put two in series. Anyway - point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Abe
Hey abe, good to hear from you again

How is the status on you Mugen?, how did it go with mugen? did you get a refund or something?

Im still waiting to receive some scud's for testing so hopefully not long till i know if i have a new source.

A dual is the best way to go if you find your self needing power at the end of the day, and i will happily send you one if i get some good scuds as a token from the very generous donation toward getting a mugen, even if it was crap

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
long pending/lingering-around suggestion:

those are same size (actually compatible) to Nokia BL-5C, unlike mugen did, you could place 3 cells into the mugen cover this way, totalling to ~4500mAh. Mugen used 2 for quite unclear reasons.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Avatardeals have kindly posted me the correct battery today. It's a 1450mAh scud. Very pleased.

I have little to no knowledge in dual modding a battery. I was wondering If anyone could make me a dual scud. I'm willing to pay you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaag For This Useful Post:
Jaag, do you mean it is selling again?

Can I ask you an hyperlink and a picture of the battery you received?

Guylhem

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guylhem For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by guylhem View Post
Jaag, do you mean it is selling again?

Can I ask you an hyperlink and a picture of the battery you received?

Guylhem
Unfortunately the blue Scud is currently out of stock.

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Barcelona - Spain
Hello,

I post here this question to not open a new thread and it must be the most adequate place to ask this. I use an external charger (one of the Yiboyuan chargers you can buy in Ebay) to charge the N900 batteries. Would you use this charger to charge a Mugen battery? Or can be dangerous for the Mugen? Thanks!
Attached Images

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ France
Originally Posted by Jaag View Post
Avatardeals have kindly posted me the correct battery today. It's a 1450mAh scud. Very pleased.

I have little to no knowledge in dual modding a battery. I was wondering If anyone could make me a dual scud. I'm willing to pay you.
How long did you wait before receiving after purchasing it ? I have bought one on AvatarDeal the 28th of July and I'm still waiting...

Tags
battery, battery test, best battery, good bad ugly, modding, mugen battery, scud battery, tool got banned, yasirrfc