Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Arg! By now that mistake in policy should have been completely cleared up.

It's lame advice I know, but keep battling. The successes in this thread are your ammunition. If they fix one, they have to fix all.
Texrat on this one i could not agree with you more, your absolutely 100% right here.
Maybe in your capacity you could point out a few facts to Nokia direct as you have some input there, or just maybe you already have and in that case many people will be very gratefull to you !!!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Texrat on this one i could not agree with you more, your absolutely 100% right here.
Maybe in your capacity you could point out a few facts to Nokia direct as you have some input there, or just maybe you already have and in that case many people will be very gratefull to you !!!
If you get some time, read through the whole thread.

Or you could save yourself some time and just read 2 articles in the top blog in my signature.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
If you get some time, read through the whole thread.

Or you could save yourself some time and just read 2 articles in the top blog in my signature.
I actually just did that before you asked me and i was totally taken back because i never realised the fact you have already raised this issue to Nokia direct, all i can say is thankyou to you for everyone on this thread and hope Nokia do the right thing and replace every unit that is defective without too many problems because after all as you said yourself "if they repair/replace one they must repair all".

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
If you live in Bristol here it is,

Uplands Car Radio
174 Cheltenham Rd. BS6 5RE
0117/9249797

Cheers for the info, althought when I called they said they didn't do repairs. They recommended Carphone Warehouse thought so more helpful than Nokia!
Just called Nokia (before then) who hung up on me... bit like their website which keeps hanging when I try to log a call.

It's a good thing I love my phone and its worth the effort to get it repaired!

The Following User Says Thank You to txteva For This Useful Post:
Just spoke to Nokia after many days of trying to get through over the phone...

My case has been escalated to involve some senior engineers or supervisors or something. Made sure that the operator was aware that I've opened a case with UK Trading Standards.

Will keep this thread updated.

Edit: Never did get a reply from my original e-mail ticket to support.

Last edited by Wichall; 2010-05-06 at 14:56.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wichall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
DISCLAIMER: This post is not to annoy people with troubles, but to enlighten that it's not always that bad. Also illustrates the occasional mad efficiency of Finnish communication.

So my usb port decided to stop working a couple of days ago. I managed to charge the phone by putting weights on the usb plug

So the next morning at 10:00 I entered a local Nokia service spot, that is some official nokia care outpost. It's a small company.

anyway, this is in Finland so the dialogue was typical Finnish style..

Me: "Hey, do yuo fix these? (Shows my N900)
Clerk: "Yep"
Me: "Usb is busted"
Clerk: "ok, what's your phonenumber?"
Me: "So you'll fix it?"
Me: "On Warranty?"
Me: "My number is <my numer>. Can I have a lender, while you fix it?"
Clerk: "Yep" (hands me a phone)
Me: "When will I have it?"
Clerk: "Soon. We'll text you"

That's it. Took 3 minutes.

Then at 13:37 I get a text. "Phone Fixed" it said.
So I went back

Me: "N900"
Clerk: "Name?"
Me: "<my name>"
Clerk: "Here" (hands me my phone)
Me: "Thanks. This is yours" (Gives him the lender phone)
Clerk: "Thanks, bye."

That's it. That one took 1 minute and 30 seconds.

Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Last edited by mece; 2010-04-27 at 07:42.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
You're extremely lucky Mece

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mece View Post
So the next morning at 10:00 I entered a local Nokia service spot, that is some official nokia care outpost. It's a small company.
A good example how it should work worldwide!

It would be no problem for me to drive 1 hour to the service point and wait 4 hours for the device. But repaired on the same day (and if they can't replace it) should work without big problems.

With my car I also drive to the service point and wait until they have fixed it.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Sadly my USB port broke off in the car a couple days ago. Thankfully it wasn't on my N900, but on my Magellan RoadMate.

As you can see, it separated and pulled the pads off, just like most of the N900 users have seen on their devices. That in spite of it having two post-throughs. Mind you, this has been traveling in a bumpy car for a few years, so that's partially to blame I'm sure.

Here's my latest news:

I called Nokia yesterday again (Tuesday) after receiving no call back from Monday's call. The agent seemed to find my case and details and promised me a call back later that day after being escalated once again to the senior service department....Nothing happened.

So I called Nokia today (Wednesday) and spoke to another agent. After half explaining my case and asking his supervisor, he told me I had to be put through to the N900 department. So I spoke to another agent, and after much searching her database...my case appeared to have been lost. Great.

So I started over from the beginning and once I'd explained everything to her, she told me I'd have to wait another 48 hours after my case was escalated once again to the senior service department.

I lost it a bit here and told her that this is getting ridiculous, informed her of my discussions with Consumer Direct/Trading Standards and so she went off and spoke to her supervisor. She came back telling me that she's sorry for all the trouble and that later today I'd be receiving a call from the Supervisor.

Having now spoken to the supervisor, he's personally escalated my case to this service department everyone speaks of, and called me twice, which is nice, it shows that he's working on it.

I've now been promised a call back either later today or definitely tomorrow from the service department, and the supervisor told me they'd either repair or replace my phone.

So I'm hoping that this means everything is fine and my phone is going to be repaired, but I'm not convinced that I won't have to battle some more. So I haven't yet closed my case with Trading Standards...

Hope no one else has to go through all of this for Nokia's own design flaw.

Last edited by Wichall; 2010-05-06 at 14:56.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wichall For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty