Active Topics

Closed Thread
cheers for the info guys! :-) i shall grab myself a 4 gigger then

Posts: 1,306 | Thanked: 1,697 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Durham North-East UK
quick update: i am making progress on googleapps working on n900 this hack im doing may even work on n8x0 also (ill test that at later date) but if i can get this to load and work ill look at gettin market up to as it maybe possible

UPDATE 2: ok i have google apps partially working, gmail/contacts/calender wont work but the market DOES load and work or seemingly work as i get the unable to install error myself now, so about to repartition my microsd and check this out will be back with a 3rd update soon. am going to also need a few fairly experianced users to test this before i release it publicly, drop me a message here or in irc if pos

update 3: still having issues, these goog apps tend to make device slower it seems, still looking at it though

Last edited by dj_steve; 2010-06-21 at 19:54.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
ok, final update of the night, im uploading a rootfs momentarily which has google apps in it, also going to put up a link to adb as this is required to get the apps going (ive not managed to get it downloading anything but ill let others examine that also. more update with instructions coming up soon

Link: http://blog.nitdroid.com/NITDroid-N9...ETA-GAPPs.tbz2

ADB: http://guug.org/nit/nitdroid/adb.bz2

instructions for install:

WIPE YOUR SD CARD!!!!!
make sure your ext3 partition is under 2gb in size.
extract the above linked archive to the card as per tutorials
Code:
tar xjvvpf NITDroid-N900-0.0.3-BETA-GAPPs.tbz2
make sure you have your usb cable handy as its required

next download ADB (link above is for the linux version of the app.)
and extract it (bunzip2 adb.bz2)

now connect the usb cable to pc and n900 and boot up n900 (it'll likely boot itself) select android in bootmenu and once you get to the android text you should be able to bring up usb networking like below:
Code:
ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.1 up
then run the following command

Code:
ADBHOST=192.168.2.15 ./adb shell
followed by the following in the new shell
Code:
cd /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases
sqlite3 settings.db
INSERT INTO system (name, value) VALUES ('device_provisioned', 1);
.exit
your best off ignoreing any errors appearing on device at the moment as they will be quite a few of them,

once you have ran those commands type sync then once that completes type exit and pull battery on n900.

reconnect battery and boot back into android, you should either get a prompt of what to use to perform a task (choose setup wizard BUT DO NOT cick the always use box)

once setup wizard loads tap the android then skip and skip again (dont setup an account) then next through all the screens until you get desktop.

then you can go setup wifi before heading to accounts and sync screen (this will take a bit to load)

disable auto-sync(unless you like a painfully slow device)

add an account > google> enter details as needed, and wait for device to catch up at end, any errors hit wait. once done you should be able to open market and try downloading, the speed of market is slow (think thats the wifi driver ) but it seems usable.

please test and let me know - i would not recommend people with little skill try this as its long winded and not stable

Last edited by dj_steve; 2010-06-21 at 20:42.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Are there any major changes in the installation procedure?
By Google apps, do you mean GMail, GCal etc. or just Market?

all the google apps are their but properly unstable build at min, market seems to work i just havent got anything to download yet, its quite a major change in installation due to the apps being a bit of a bodge at the min (im writing instructions now )

their new rootfs and howto is above anyone feeling brave wana give it a go

Sure, why not? I'm not doing anything useful anyway

should also mention in here that if anyone who is doing development for nitdroid want some ftp space to store files lemme know and ill sort you some out

Just a question though, do you really need to use a <2GB partition?
I'll try with a bigger one I think

EDIT: Used a 1.95GB partition, after all I don't want to re-do this in case it doesn't work..

Last edited by ToJa92; 2010-06-21 at 20:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post:
lol i tried with 1.8gb one lol

Closed Thread

Tags
android, cool stuff, froyo on n900, nitdroid