Active Topics

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Vienna, Austria
a company of not even 100 employees takes the risk of making the best phone in history, and all I read here is whining about a few weeks delay.

Yes, I'm affected by their shipping problems too. Yes, I'm going on holidays after christmas and maybe won't get my phone this year, although I preordered and paid the first hour it was possible.

But honestly, I've been awaiting my Jolla since their very first tweet. I'll calm the little girl in me and keep waiting, knowing that it will arrive eventually. 3 weeks more or less don't make that much of a difference.

To all Jolla Sailors reading this: we love you and admire you for your braveness. I really hope you guys have a gigantic new year's party and keep on rocking.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dommau For This Useful Post:
Posts: 292 | Thanked: 294 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Milan, Italy
Originally Posted by epmt View Post
I can understand your frustration, I actually think it is similarly frustrating to read messages like yours in response time and time again. Wouldn't it be nicer if everyone just shared my opinion?

New people joined in, in the latest instance JulmaHerra. I think it is perfectly natural that new people joining in means repeating some of that conversation, because they bring those topics back.

Discussion is hard, and sometimes frustrating and repetitive. Life.
I just think that when a discussion escalates to a certain point where it actually doesn't go any further, it becomes trench warfare, and it would be better to just let it go. That's why I tend to avoid these situations (not this time apparently ).

Last edited by Watchmaker; 2013-12-18 at 19:37. Reason: typos

Originally Posted by dommau View Post
a company of not even 100 employees takes the risk of making the best phone in history, and all I read here is whining about a few weeks delay.
Then you are reading very selectively. There is much more than whining in this thread. I'm happy for you, that you feel good about Jolla. There is room for many opinions and views.

Just know that some people are not "whining about a few weeks delay". Maybe some are. Others are discussing.

Some of us are discussing feedback on how to handle a process like this with the community and get the best results with the widest possible range of people. There is disagreement, some think Jolla is doing great, others think they are not, but at the core is still a discussion for the benefit of Jolla, from various angles.

Blind fanboyism never helped anyone - not talking about you, just about the general concept. Jolla will be better because of good discourse with the community, not if we keep cheering on as they roll over the edge of the ravine.

Originally Posted by Watchmaker View Post
I just think that when a discussion escalates to a certain point where it actually doesn't go any further, it becomes trench warfare, and it woudl be better to just let it go. That's why I tend to avoid these situations (not this time apparently ).
There is truth to that, sure. It all comes down to where to draw the line - for example, when new people join in, it may be fruitful to at least share ideas with a new participant that might bring something new to the discussion. Looping the same convo with the same people is not fruitful of course.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by epmt View Post
Handing out information would be done by different people than are actually fulfilling the deliveries.
Unfortunately I have seen this film before (some experience on this). Normally the most knowledgeable people of the case/problem are the people actually being busy of doing it. When they start communicating with "PR" people that time is away from the work. And when you get the "PR" people to actually write the message and doing the communication to outside you get the messages people here is complaining (general message for all, cut'n'paste, ...).

That doesn't mean that I disagree with you here but what I'm saying is that it's not easy and it causes other problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by att View Post
Unfortunately I have seen this film before (some experience on this). Normally the most knowledgeable people of the case/problem are the people actually being busy of doing it. When they start communicating with "PR" people that time is away from the work. And when you get the "PR" people to actually write the message and doing the communication to outside you get the messages people here is complaining (general message for all, cut'n'paste, ...).

That doesn't mean that I disagree with you here but what I'm saying is that it's not easy and it causes other problems.
Sure, communications are hard.

Anyway, just to re-iterate my position:

The worst thing they could do is put PR people on the case. I think a big part of the problem so far is that they've tried to handle the situation like a big company PR machine would. In my opinion completely the wrong way for a company like Jolla.

No, not PR people. Put an entrepreneur on the case or similar headhoncho. Someone who knows, but in reality isn't picking orders all day long (and even if they were, them taking 10 minutes for an update every other day in reality doesn't slow anything down). Someone who can say more than just platitudes.

Be honest, be open enough - and most importantly, do so in time, not when it is already too late.

One more thought:

Jolla needs their own Xbox Major Nelson, but someone who addresses the community even on a lower level, because Jolla is a small start-up and self-proclaimed Unlike. Someone who addresses these kinds of situations.

I always thought Dillon was that type of character, I thought Cybette had a similar role here, but in this process clearly Jolla decided to silence any actual information being handed out on the process. I must say I am actually very surprised to see Jolla's approach turned out this way. Not Unlike, very Unexpected to me.

Who here really believes e.g. Dillon or, say, Jolla CEO doesn't know exactly the status of the shipping process every day during this important first period in their company? I'm sure they know plenty.

They could blog about it every other day, they could tweet about it or whatever. I'm sure they have the info. They just choose not to.

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
2659 is shipped!

was is picking yesterday!

bonus gif for everyone that is crying in this thread

It arrives tomorrow! Now I will drink a lot of beer.

Last edited by dirkvl; 2013-12-18 at 20:27.