Notices

This is ridiculous. Debian packaging standards are eloquent, simple, and derived from years of experience. There should be no exceptions.

This one is simple.

Package all of the binaries you're comfortable distributing in the open, and expose them to everyone through a public repository. These are automatically updated on user devices.

Package your proprietary additions which unlock full functionality as separate .debs that you send out-of-band (ie. with purchase/user requested update). These could contain map data, game files (graphics/sound), registration/decryption keys.. whatever. These are not automatically updated. These packages depend on the first package.

For added purchase-protection, make all binaries check and validate a license key in ~/.yourapp/license.

Startup files, icons, applinks, etc.. are in package #1. They run normally. They inform the user that additional packages and/or license keys are required, then exit.

Problem solved.

Debian packages do not support incremental upgrades, and there is a very good reason for it. If you want to use multiple packages as a form of incremental upgrade, watch your dependencies.

Last edited by nightfire; 2010-04-17 at 19:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nightfire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Braislava, Slovakia
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
A lot of the trouble with the repo could have been avoided if Sygic had simply mailed the details to us customers, instead of posting a confusing reference here to start with.
yes, you're right. Additional info will be added on Sygic website and to the description of app.

Everyone can also post suggestion, how installation and updating should works (in respect of existing method, considering also another platforms not only Maemo)...

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sydney
I'm in Australia and obviously I am also wondering about Australia map. Any news with that?

Thanks.

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Paris / France
I've bough Sygic (Europe version) from Sygic website, and it does not work at all on my N900 (PR1.2). I've emailed their support 2 days ago but got no answer (not even a ticket). I hope they have not gone bankrupt in the meantime

Running from command line gives this output :
Code:
n900-ebe ~ > /opt/sygic/Drive/Maemo/drive -cwd=/home/user/MyDocs/Drive/Maemo -rfull
Init: Starting Up...
title: Sygic DRIVE
> set_stream 'ALSA Playback'
Segmentation fault
strace show the same missing files as described in dalonso post.

I've tried standard kernel (so it's not overclocking related) and also tried to upgrade from Sygic repository, but it didn't solve the issue.

Just feeling a bit stuck now ... any idea ?

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
it is looking for the "drive" folder with the directions to everything else.

did you transfer the 3 folders to your MyDocs folder?

The Following User Says Thank You to ceroberts75 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 86 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Paris / France
Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
did you transfer the 3 folders to your MyDocs folder?
Oops you're right. I didn't notice the Drive directory was part of the zip file (I went asleep long before unzipping was done).

I still think Sygic gets low grade for:
  • Bad documentation: It says "Extract the ZIP archive, and copy it to the root folder of your SD card. IMPORTANT: Folders Drive, Res and Maps must be located directly in the root of your SD card – not in any other folder.", so I copied files to my SD card (/media/mmc1 and not MyDocs)
  • Bad packaging: heard about .install files ? and what about downloading data file from your application ? manual unzipping is too complicated for many users (including me ).
  • Bad error checking (really bad programming practice): if your software depends on some files, check for their availability, and if they are not where they are supposed to, display a friendly message explaining what to do ("segmentation fault" is not a friendly message)
  • Bad support (hello, anybody here?)

Anyway the software seems to be nice and i think i'll like it (it looks like good old fashioned gps software like tomtom), and it's incredibly faster than the sluggish ovi thingy that came with n900.

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by eber42 View Post
I've bough Sygic (Europe version) from Sygic website, and it does not work at all on my N900 (PR1.2). I've emailed their support 2 days ago but got no answer (not even a ticket). I hope they have not gone bankrupt in the meantime

Just feeling a bit stuck now ... any idea ?
I also bought the europe maps and had trouble installing it.
The Sygic assistant thing does not work so i had to download the zip files and install those.
I have had a lot of correspondence with their support team and have nothing but praise for them. They normally take 3 business days to respond but I found once I got a response I can email that person (the support email come from an individuals email and not a generic support account) and get a very fast response

The Following User Says Thank You to pthomas22 For This Useful Post:
Any news about the release date of MM 10 ?

Still no news about release date of sygic 10. Summer holidays are coming real soon now!
Would be great to have the updated version by then.

I need to buy sygic, but I am disappointed to see that they have 9 and not 10 version.
What do you suggest to me? To wait or to buy now? Do you know how expensive the upgrade will be?

Tags
application, fremantle, gps, maemo, maemo 5, map, navigation, sygic, turn-by-turn