Active Topics

Closed Thread
Yet another tutorial, this time showing how to connect a standard computer keyboard to the N800 or N810:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...-ordinary.html

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
instead of going thru and thanking you on each post id like to give one for all of them

Originally Posted by joepagiii View Post
instead of going thru and thanking you on each post id like to give one for all of them
Well, just give one at random then, that'll be enough. :-)

Or if you want to go really over the top, try buying the book:

http://www.lulu.com/content/2178569

Another USB tutorial, this time on how to connect flash drives:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...nnect-usb.html

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Hi Krisse,

Great work with the latest batch of USB-related tutorials... It's nice to see that people are slowly realizing the potential of USB on these devices! I was a bit surprised to see though that nowhere was there any mention of the community-derived USB OTG adapter for the N800, as it really is by far the easiest way to go for USB connectivity, especially from a Newbie point of view. Not saying that you should tote it as the way to go or anything, but I would have thought it would be a good idea to at least mention that it exists and is a possibility for N800 users as there has been overwhelming feedback saying what a great idea it is for newbies... (lol well 25 pages of forum posts and several hundred of the blummen things sold in the last 2 months).

Also I don't know how far you're planning on getting with your "USB" series, but another very popular one with people I've spoken to is Wired Networking (and with the OTG adapter my Dad can do this... he doesn't even know how to turn Bluetooth on, so it's definately Newbie capable!)

Thanks again for all your excellent work!!
-Rob

Rob,

I hadn't forgotten the excellent and easier-to-use OTG adaptor. You are absolutely right that it is a much easier way to attach USB accessories than the method in the tutorials. You just plug it and it works, which is as simple as it can get.

I did agonise over whether to go with that or the F-F/software option, and in the end I went for the latter. It was partly because F-F adaptors are so easy to find, partly because the F-F method works with the N810 too, but partly also because I was worried some people who don't read the article properly might try to use an unmodified version of the OTG adaptor (because some adaptors look like the OTG but aren't).

However, what I thought I'd do is get one or two more USB tutorials (I'm going to try an externally-powered HDD next, and then if I can get it to work your suggestion of networking too) and then do a special tutorial dedicated to the OTG adaptor, along with links to this article in the other USB articles, and instructions on where people can get the adaptor. I want to make it clear to users that they can only use the modified adaptor, not adaptors that look the same but are unmodified.

-krisse

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
i got an external hdd running...one of the 2 cable types....used my battery pack to power it and the n800 to read it...also worked with an ipod in disk mode used its own battery...thought i was on to something...my lifedrive only shows the internal 32 gig not the external 2 gig....i know this is like one of my earlier posts but well im very pleased with the otg.adapter all of the items can be used together on the road which i thought was very cool indeed

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Maybe you could put up a list of topics that need to be covered, so that people who'd like to help can choose one (or more), do a writeup and present it to you for approval.

I for one would like to offer my (however limited) services, but it's hard to think up topics that might be of interest for new users.
Thank you to all the help you offer to newbies like me, I own a N800 and love it. My questions: I read somewhere that with a 8GB card you could make a partition to store applets or programs, sometimes I have the feeling that the internal memory is too small; is it possible, or desirable also? I´d like to use the memo recorder to send my speech to my brother, he´s editing some texts for me, I have changed the rec format to wav, but he can´t open it, any solutions?

Thank in advance for any help

Oscar

Hello your web page is great exactly what I needed I only have one problem. I have a hotmail account instead of a gmail account and all my contacts and friends also have hotmail, how can i set up my internet tablet (n800) so that I use my hotmail account instead of a gmail account. Also a Newbie!

Originally Posted by wilspin View Post
Hello your web page is great exactly what I needed I only have one problem. I have a hotmail account instead of a gmail account and all my contacts and friends also have hotmail, how can i set up my internet tablet (n800) so that I use my hotmail account instead of a gmail account. Also a Newbie!
I'm actually holding off doing the email tutorials until the new version of the tablet operating system appears, because apparently it has a new kind of e-mail application.

Basically though, you have two choices for email:

-Use the web browser to look at your Hotmail account through the Hotmail website. This is very easy to do because it works just like it does on your PC. There's no setup required.

OR

-Set up the tablet's built-in email app so that it works with your Hotmail account. What you have to do is look at Hotmail's support pages for setting up a "POP" or "IMAP" account, and use those instructions along with the tablet e-mail app's account setup wizard.

Closed Thread