Active Topics

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
What could Nokia offer Jolla now, except maybe money?
I really really don't want Nokia to have anything to do with Jolla, but Nokia could theoreticly offer one important thing to Jolla.

Patent portfolio so big that nothing could stop Sailfish with patent litigation. At the moment I don't think that Jolla could offer the phone in USA even if they wanted. They couldn't afford the MS, Apple, Qualcomm, Motorola, et al. license fee shitstrom.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
At the moment I don't think that Jolla could offer the phone in USA even if they wanted. They couldn't afford the MS, Apple, Qualcomm, Motorola, et al. license fee shitstrom.
I agree, and I will add: sadly to those nice folks in the US who can't access certain technologies or at least it's difficult for them to access it due to their legal framework ******edness.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Lets not forget Nokia's Advances Technologies, that is: "looking for new business opportunities," "continuing to research and develop concepts involved in connectivity, sensing and material technologies".

It sounds like Nokia looking to continue and maybe focus on its nano technology and graphene. Graphene study where it leads in Europe and was granted 1.35 billion dollars to study last year.
Having a software platform for lets say wearable tech sounds reasonable and example HERE car platform is already being build on Qt. .
I really hope Nokia continue support QT and not being in bed to much with Microsoft after this mess... I think Qt could impact alot in these area Nokia works on(car platforms etc) cause its true multiplatformness.

I also hopes that Jolla can use some of nokia stuff like maps on Jollaphone and so on...

I just wait for digia stocks to raise upwards on this area

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-09-22 at 11:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I also hopes that Jolla can use some of nokia stuff like maps on Jollaphone and so on...
Aye, although don't forget about Open Street Maps... you have more of the world available, you can download relatively compressed maps just like Nokia Maps, and you can implement some sort of routing, although I'm not sure how evolved that bit is.

Oh, did I mention that it's all free? :-) Dev would be expensive though - routing implementation, OSM format handling and so forth. You basically need to create a maps application*, just like Nokia's.

* Apple/Google don't have a maps application, they have a pseudo browser with a cache. Total rubbish. I love the fact that you can search for an address in Nokia Maps even in Airplane Mode.

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
The whole point of Nokia buying Jolla is moot anyway.

MS-Nokia deal excludes Nokia from entering phone business until 2016. So, unless Nokia sees huge business opportunity in selling Jolla t-shirts and beanies for the next 3 years, there would not be any point in it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:

MS-Nokia deal excludes Nokia from entering phone business until 2016. So, unless Nokia sees huge business opportunity in selling Jolla t-shirts and beanies for the next 3 years, there would not be any point in it.
This topic is discussed to death everywhere, but Nokia is not allowed to make "mobile devices" with Nokia brand. Nothing stops them for making phones in Q2 as far as I know.
But yeah, chances of that happening is below 1%.

OPK said on a interview that Nokia's special sauce will likely reside and developing materials. Only hint at Nokia doing some kind of consumer hardware at some point comes out from keeping HERE.

Last edited by tissot; 2013-09-22 at 14:28.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Aye, although don't forget about Open Street Maps... you have more of the world available,
Yep, the is finally quite good and you have quite a lot of data to work with, just for example, the planet file, that has ALL data from the OpenStreetMap project, has:
  • 21 GB in compressed PBF format
  • 45 in uncompressed PBF
  • about 400 GB in uncompressed XML
Of course you can also just download the much smaller regional extracts and work with that.

you can download relatively compressed maps just like Nokia Maps, and you can implement some sort of routing, although I'm not sure how evolved that bit is.
There are already multiple OSM routing projects, check out the routing wiki page for comprehensive summary.

Oh, did I mention that it's all free? :-) Dev would be expensive though - routing implementation, OSM format handling and so forth. You basically need to create a maps application*, just like Nokia's.
I'm working on it - checkout the modRana project. It already works on Fremantle, Harmattan, Android, BB10 and other platforms and I will also support Sailfish soon.
ModRana also already supports offline routing (with spoken turn-by-turn directions) using Monav and processed OSM data.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland

Two years. 2014 and 2015.

It takes around two years to make a new phone model, as we have seen in Windows Phones and Jolla. So Nokia should start soon!

Originally Posted by Metsämies View Post
Two years. 2014 and 2015.

It takes around two years to make a new phone model, as we have seen in Windows Phones and Jolla. So Nokia should start soon!
Nokia can make Phones after the deal (if they're able to)... But not with Nokia branding until 2016.

will there be another pre-order for international customers?

Tags
device, jolla, jolla phone, pre-order