Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Most of Maemo apps are closed.
Most of MeeGo apps are PoC.

We need to replace:

- Media Player (DeaDBeeF maybe?)

I'm sure I missed some...
I seem to recall MohammedAG is working on a Qt clone of the N900 stock media player... would that be a possbility, to keep things familiar?

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
10€ from here. Keep up the good work!

btw.
For some weird reason first Paypal page was polish.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
I seem to recall MohammedAG is working on a Qt clone of the N900 stock media player... would that be a possbility, to keep things familiar?
If we would go for the N900 Media Player I would rather want to see something that actually works like Media Player (with whole MAFW behind), not something that just looks like one. (I didn't investigate whether Mohammad's player uses MAFW, though )

Same goes for the browser. I have nothing against users installing standalone browser, but I would like to stick to EAL based solution in the default system.

P.S. One of my motivators for going on with this project is that I want these clever Maemo solutions not to be forgotten.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
MohammadAG's media player, just like the stock one, uses MAFW which is AFAIK not part of the MeeGo middlerare. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by smoku View Post
P.S. One of my motivators for going on with this project is that I want these clever Maemo solutions not to be forgotten.
In the same vein, perhaps work could be undertaken to make Modest use something that is not Tinymail. UI-wise, Modest is sound; it was "the" app for GTK+ developers to look at to see how a program should be Hildonized. However, you only need to read the many stories 'round here to see where it fails (slowness, etc.).

MohammadAG's Qt Media Player does support MAFW, nicolai added support for it. However, when using my N900 with the default media player, I'd notice slowdowns with huge playlists etc. Not to mention Grillo seems to replace it outside of Maemo (though, admittedly, I don't know how stable Grillo is)

Last edited by jstokes; 2011-02-20 at 11:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jstokes For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
MohammadAG's media player, just like the stock one, uses MAFW
cool

which is AFAIK not part of the MeeGo middlerare. Correct me if I'm wrong.
http://meego.com/developers/meego-ar...re-domain-view
As we can see MeeGo provides only low-level APIs.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
btw, what other media players for N900 there is, which use DSP-accelerated decodecs for video? Just thinking, maybe some of them should be ported first than for example monolithic mplayer. I guess VLC nor Kmplayer doesn't use gstreamer either though. Gstreamer would have dsp-acceleration.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm pretty sure kmplayer is a front-end for both GStreamer and MPlayer.

Hi thanks again smoku. I am not trying to hijack this thread but was hoping u could convince the team behind the community ssu to join your cause. Trying to fix a dean os isnt worth it, where as creating a new and better one is like your idea.

Last edited by mas5acre; 2011-02-22 at 06:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to mas5acre For This Useful Post:
MAG wanted to see the push feedback, so as I was already making a screencast, I may as well show the current state of Cordia's HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDxPbMuKwaM

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:

Tags
cordia, fremantle ux, hildon, maemo 5 ux, meego, sanctuary, the garden