Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Please, consider PradaBrada too, please!
PradaBrada is one very sharp cookie. He knows how to game the system. Troll outright until addressed by a moderator and then chill for a bit. Very clever.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
PradaBrada is one very sharp cookie. He knows how to game the system. Troll outright until addressed by a moderator and then chill for a bit. Very clever.
and what's that good for? except that he's getting on everyone's nerves while he's "gaming the system"?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
and what's that good for? except that he's getting on everyone's nerves while he's "gaming the system"?
I'm not defending him.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
True.
I've been thinking about him lately, and I was trying to get him real a few times. He has never EVER accepted any other opinions that are not the same as his. Also, ALL his posts are just whining and endless whining. Once I looked through all his posts, and there was no single post that would actually help someone with anything.

My guess is that he is paid for doing this.

Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
There has even been serious research done in this field on post graduate level.

I have my own years spent as an admin to draw from. To actually trust the community is one of the most effective ways to engage people in it. When you know that what you think counts, you tend to use your, albeit limited, power with care but not hesitate to actually act when you think you should.

Assuming that the people on the other side of the keyboards are mostly intelligent and constructive people goes a long way.
Yes, good thoughts.
I would point you here: http://stackoverflow.com/faq

The key is this:
At the high end of this reputation spectrum there is little difference between users with high reputation and ♦ moderators. That is very much intentional. We don't run Stack Overflow. The community does.

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-06-12 at 20:12.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
I have been doing my best to stay on topic, but this complaint IMO is not well thought out or in good faith.

Yes, the thread may not have broken the rules specifically, but keeping in mind the below, I think it was the right decision.

The request there was made, in good faith, by prolific contributors, not only to this project, but to the very work you mention. In addition, MeeGo is not Maemo, regardless of the devices on which it is being put on.

This in mind, would you really be happy for the thread to be reopened, despite the people doing the actual work not participating? Seems a bit stubborn and pointless, IMHO.

(i am on my n900, responses might be slow)
Let me explain.
Yes, the thread was requested to be closed by tho OP, who had the desire to follow somewhere else.
But the thread also was requested not to be closed, by other long time contributing members, who desired a place inside TMO (still ITT in the mind of many) to further discuss their following and experiecies with Meego in N810.
The thread doesn't only belong to the OP, but to everyone posting there. If the OP desired not to post anything more there, he easyly could have done so. No point in closing the thread.
So, yes, I disagree with closing that particular thread, and I'm among those who have no desire to open an account on yet another forum to follow a particular aspect of the ITTs.
May be I'm just pointless or stubborn, but this is what I think.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Had I not known the context, your comment might as well have been made about a rat in the basement that hides when you turn on the light and then comes sneaking out when you leave.

You're talking about a person. An intelligent person with a gripe, sure, but still a person. As far as I know, PradaBrada is more than a troll but uses his(?) verbal ability to taunt and get in the way of others.

I do understand why a user like PradaBrada might not be very popular but if you're wondering why this community is starting to slant towards the abyss, have a look at your own comment.

And no, this is not an attempt to justify what he(?) does, this is an attempt to actually look at how things are done here. I can respect the opinions of PradaBrada but not the way they are presented and where. And I do respect your effort to moderate things. I've been in your shoes, really, and I'm not envious.

Last edited by Joorin; 2010-06-12 at 20:20. Reason: Typo

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Let me explain.
Yes, the thread was requested to be closed by tho OP, who had the desire to follow somewhere else.
But the thread also was requested not to be closed, by other long time contributing members, who desired a place inside TMO (still ITT in the mind of many) to further discuss their following and experiecies with Meego in N810.
The thread doesn't only belong to the OP, but to everyone posting there. If the OP desired not to post anything more there, he easyly could have done so. No point in closing the thread.
So, yes, I disagree with closing that particular thread, and I'm among those who have no desire to open an account on yet another forum to follow a particular aspect of the ITTs.
May be I'm just pointless or stubborn, but this is what I think.
But there is a point, to remove the confusion of a previously official thread - quite sure this is the entire rrason it was requested and done.

I'm sure that if you wanted to start a new thread discussing developments, nobody would mind. But at the same time... when the work is happening elsewhere, and (as I pointed out) is not Maemo, I'm not sure how you expect to have real relevance there.

Your choices are your own though. Let us not sidetrack further from the much more real and tangible problems presented in this thread.

Joorin, I didn't call PradaBrada a troll-- I mentioned a behavior (troll in this case was a verb).

Please consider full context if you're going to criticize, thanks.

Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
The key is this:
At the high end of this reputation spectrum there is little difference between users with high reputation and ♦ moderators. That is very much intentional. We don't run Stack Overflow. The community does.
Exactly my thoughts on how this community should run. We just lack some of the necessary critical functionality.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
But there is a point, to remove the confusion of a previously official thread - quite sure this is the entire rrason it was requested and done.
Ok, that's a reason, though I still doubt is was enough to close the thread after being requested not to.
Your choices are your own though. Let us not sidetrack further from the much more real and tangible problems presented in this thread.
I agree with that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:

Tags
community, we the people